Diet to prevent acid reflux?

Options
2»

Replies

• MJKHutch
    MJKHutch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat half an apple after each meal to help prevent onset of reflux and to alkalinize stomach acids. Adjust the amount of apple eaten according to how you respond. Also eat an apple as a midafternoon snack.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have this, really badly. It got so bad that I ended up with a nasty, persistent wracking cough that stumped the doctors because I didn't appear to have any respiratory issues and nothing helped. Turned out it was just irritation from the reflux!

I find that avoiding fatty foods and acidic foods helps. So low fat, and avoiding tomatoes, citrus, spicy foods... It also gets worse if I have been drinking the night before.

I also recommend seeing a doctor for a good daily acid reduction pill, I take Nexium, and also a referral for a gastroscapy. It might be a hiatal hernia or the like, which can be fixed.

• DaniiMarie13
    DaniiMarie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had reflux for 11 years now but it has eased dramatically since losing weight and easing up on foods listed above, cutting out milk was a big helper too but I am also lactose intolerant.

A tip, since you said you get it when laying down, try to sleep slightly elevated to stop acid coming up the throat. Also laying on your left side helps with stomach aches and acid reflux, definitely helps me.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I had acid reflux/heartburn so bad I was taking both omeprezole and ranitidine. Once I started losing weight with a Primal/paleo eating plan, limiting carbs to 100g/day, and eliminating wheat, it went away completely (gone for 3 years). Now, it only bothers me slightly if I eat too many carbs or wheat, so I know it wasn't just the weight loss that was the answer. Eliminating the foods that are traditionally recommended to avoid didn't help me at all, and I eat them with no problems. Acid reduction pills are not a benign solution.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    A lot of my triggers have been mentioned already. Citrus, cooked tomatoes, dairy, gluten, fried foods, alcohol, and soda may trigger flare-ups (some more consistently, some mostly when I'm already having trouble or if I have too much at once). Fat does not bother me. Losing weight helps me.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Heartburn *IS* acid reflux.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Heartburn *IS* acid reflux.

Really? I have had heartburn only a few times but acid reflux seems completely different. Whenever I get my reflux my chest doesn't have that pain of heartburn. So I don't know.
    singer201 wrote: »
    I had acid reflux/heartburn so bad I was taking both omeprezole and ranitidine. Once I started losing weight with a Primal/paleo eating plan, limiting carbs to 100g/day, and eliminating wheat, it went away completely (gone for 3 years). Now, it only bothers me slightly if I eat too many carbs or wheat, so I know it wasn't just the weight loss that was the answer. Eliminating the foods that are traditionally recommended to avoid didn't help me at all, and I eat them with no problems. Acid reduction pills are not a benign solution.

Interesting. Wheat/bread also seems to be the problem for me. The reflux starts mainly after I eat bread, and it's funny because most people said fried foods but I hardly eat anything fried but when I do it doesn't bother me.