i never crave pizza or chocolate...

Options
but that's because i eat pizza every week - sometimes more than once! - and chocolate everyday. i know it sounds like a pretty screwed up tactic, but this totally works for me. you know the age old advice - "if you don't buy it and keep it in your house, you won't eat it"? well, that does *not* work for me. if i have a craving for something, i will totally go to the grocery store at 3 in the morning in my pajamas to go and get it! i know, i know...i have no pride. or no shame. :tongue:

i do want to lose weight, and i want to be healthier. as of yet, i have no interest in adopting a completely 'clean' diet - i dig my cheez-its and cadbury eggs too much! and the occassional dr. pepper, though i'm pretty much a water drinker now. i'm sure my outlook could change, but for now, you will not find me eating baked chicken breast and broccoli every night for dinner. now, if you want to bbq that chicken up, then i'll be interested!

my point is, i feel like i've found a pretty good balance that i can work with forever. i never feel deprived, and i rarely cave in to a bingeing streak (which used to be a very common occurence). sometimes i will find myself sitting on the couch with a good book and potato chips and lemon bars. like yesterday. :blushing: but that's the first time i've just sat and ate a ton of junk in months!

sure, i'm probably losing weight slower than a lot of people, but i'm almost up to 30 pounds lost, it has been about 8 months, and i feel absolutely *no* sense of burnout. which is really quite lovely.

anyone else out there have their cake and eat it too?

Replies

• EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. And you're doing it the way that works for you. You've got a great attitude and that's why you will be successful. Keep on truckin'!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love those both too, and sometimes moderation is the key. there are also days where I could eat the whole pizza or bag of chocolate. Really depends on my mood and the day!

I can't give em up. Moderation, moderation! :o)
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    This is how I eat. I don't feel like I'm on a diet, yet I lose weight. Everything in moderation. Rock on! I really think this is the key to weight loss and maintenance forever. It's worked for me too!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation =) Good luck!
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree! I eat everything i want in moderation and with some advance planing on calorie count. As i tell my family i do not want to diet, i want to be healthy and enjoy life.

So far its working just fine for me!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    It is always good to treat yourself and to not deprive yourself of food that you crave. If you crave it enough, then you will really go off the bandwagon and have a horrible day. But, if you reward yourself with something periodically, then you will have more success!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I plan for it, but yeah, I eat something if it really really want it. I've not cut anything completely out (other than meat, but tha's for different reasons.)
  • joilet
    joilet Posts: 99
    Options
    great post!

something to definitely think about for me

i also am one of those people that will drive to the store in my pjs for a Baby Ruth if the mood strikes me
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I also think there's no way I will ever eat totally clean. I dont have the time for that. I try to eat better, and I eat some decent homemade meals, but half the time, it's an oven cooked frozen fish with fresh veg instead, or a pizza, and sometimes it's crisps instead of fruit with my lunch, but that's ok, as long as it's not all the time. This is a lifestyle change, not a short term purity fest.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have both pizza and chocolate whenever i want it as well.. i just make my own pizza now with healthier choices (and we've found it just plain tastes better *L*).. and when i have chocolate i only have a lil bit and only the best quality dark chocolate... if i am going to have it it has to be awesome.

i am not dieting.. i have simply made a choice for a healthier life, and that life icludes the foods i love, but now i have them with planning a smart choices *S*

i've lost 47.5 pounds doing this, since Nov 2010.. so i am well pleased by the results too *S*
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing.

I have pizza every week. I have chocolate almost everyday. I balance things out.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I plan for it, but yeah, I eat something if it really really want it.

yes, agreed! that's my rule too. there are actually 3 rules i have for non-healthy food:

1. plan for it
    2. log it and be accountable for it
    3. enjoy it - if you've covered steps 1 and 2, there's no reason to feel guilty about it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same here! I eat just about all the same foods as I did before and I'm happy with my progress. And if nothing is off limits, here's no way I can feel like I failed! :laugh:
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Awesome!
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    that is exactly how you should do it, because you can stick to those eating habits for the rest of your life... i need to start doing that!
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    i agree it makes it easier if i dont get my cravings out i will eat anything and everyting instead so for me it is better just to eat whatever it it like chocolate is one of my favorites
  • KristyF08
    KristyF08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I'm soooo with you on this! I eat whatever I want as long as I am within my calories .Last night I ate a whole totino's pizza with 4 tbs of ranch and was HAPPY! It was still in my calories :) You can only eat the bland foods for so long before you burn out. This is a lifestyle change and you have to enjoy it or it will never work... and let me be honest, I love my bud light :blushing: ! Congrats to you on your loss, I love your outlook!
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love this! I was literally just beating myself up for having one Hershey Kiss here at work. For the love of all things bright and beautiful, it's just a freakin' Hershey Kiss, not a vat of lard! This thread helped to remind me of this. I've found that when I say diet, I mean FAIL... It's really got to be all about a healthier way of living, and remembering that moderation is key. Okay, so maybe I'll only lose 1 pound in a week instead of 2, but I'll be happier and it'll be easier to stick with!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME!

I agree with your eating philosophy *completely*! The first two weeks I've been doing MFP, I've had pizza, cheeseburgers, donuts, cake, champagne, chocolate, cookies, etc. But, I've kept portions reasonable and have not been eating the 'heavier' foods at every meal. I'm also adding more fruits and veggies and passing on most processed foods.

I don't feel deprived. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel any different than any other person who's not on a diet. It's worked out great so far. I lost 8 pounds in my first two weeks, and while I don't weigh in until next Wednesday, I am certain I have lost more. The pants don't lie, and they're definitely getting looser. :-)

I've lost weight in the past by following strict, calorie-reduced, fat-reduced diets. They worked great for taking the weight off, but I *always* gained it back. I'm hoping that if I make better choices all around and don't think of this as a 'diet', maybe I can have permanent success.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my point is, i feel like i've found a pretty good balance that i can work with forever.

Congratualtions, that is the secret to success!

Yes, yes it is awesome. I have had icecream EVERY night for the last two weeks. :bigsmile:
    Its all about meeting your caloric goals and proper level of macronutrients.