Success Pictures and the Stories to Go With Them

Options

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is only a " success so far" story. I'm still in the process of losing. When I started, I wanted to lose 201 pounds. I've lost 87 so far. That's in a 6 month time period. My most immediate short term goal is to reach the halfway point before the year is out.

SW:381
    CW: 294 (YAY!)
    GW:180 (I'm tall… 180 would look good on me)

I started watching The Biggest Loser mostly out of curiosity because all my co-workers were obsessed with it. It encouraged me to see extremely overweight people lose large amounts of weight through only diet and exercise. I knew I wasn't going to lose weight at BL speed and I was okay with that. It was just encouraging to me to know it was possible to lose it without surgeries or special pills. So, I started looking up specifics of what I would need to do to lose weight (calories I needed to maintain my weight and how much I needed to cut that in order to lose). It surprised me how doable it seemed. I started doing the math about how long it would take me if I could lose 2 pounds a week. 2 years was also very doable to me considering I'd just gone through a different kind of overhaul that took 5 years. When I realized I could do it… it became a "well, why not?" I've never noticed health problems because of my weight… due mostly to good genetics and youth (although there was always the lurking fear in the back of my mind of when my lifestyle would catch up to me). And I was not miserable (either emotionally or physically) because of my weight. So, it really was just a "why not?" moment.

I just made small changes one at a time that I could live with… starting with what I knew would be the easiest change for me to make. And I just went from there. I still eat whatever I want… just less of it. But I have found that "whatever I want" has changed over time. In fact… I found something on Pinterest that I thought was just a good laugh, but now, it's actually become true. To the tune of "My favorite things" from Sound of Music…."Sweat drops on muscles and veggies with chicken. Dumbbells and water and heart rates that quicken. Bright colored running shoes laced up with strings… these are a few of my favorite things."

Anyway… and now for the pictures. This is 87 pounds down. The pic on the right was just taken this past weekend.

nf8e36ezax5d.jpg

The race bib on my shirt tells a story all of it's own. Because the girl on the left would never have even considered a 5k. But the girl on the right not only did it… she loved it. And wants to do more. (FTR: I walked the entire thing… but I was ahead of all the other walkers. Behind the runners, but ahead of the walkers!… Something that the girl on the left could NEVER have done!)

294 looks good on you! Goodness! Amazing transformation already!
  • JFsNewLife
    JFsNewLife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    @kmarie7 congratulations on becoming healthy! You too are an inspiration.
    I do not understand the bulking, and cutting, but I am not near there yet.

Haha :smile:, I didn't understand it either for a long time. The short version:
    It is hard to build muscle mass in general, almost impossible when you're on a deficit, especially as a woman. To build more muscle mass, you have to eat above your maintenance calories (gain weight) and lift heavy weights. This provides the nutrients needed to add muscle to your body. Once you've gotten to a point where you want to lose again, you eat in a deficit and continue lifting weights. The outcome should be that you put on muscle while eating more food and then lose the fat covering the muscles when you cut.

Bulk/cut cycles are mainly for people (both men and women) who are already fairly lean but want to increase their lean body mass (muslces) and decrease their body fat to get a more defined physique. Think body builders/physique competitors, though you don't have to take it to that level unless you desire to.
    Thank you. I had heard talk about this, but did not know what it meant. :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Wish i was more creative to put my thoughts to words.... Amazing inspiration everyone.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    kmariet7 wrote: »
    A picture says a thousand words! I have only lost 23 pounds so far, so my picture is not showing much difference. I can't wait to see what it will be like a month from now, a year from now, and even years from now.

Please share your journey! I would like to hear about how you got to where you are now. Please share any tips for newbies, like myself. Fill free to friend me. I can use all of the friends, and motivation that I can get.

Also, if you could share the beginning weight, and more current weight, along with your height. Thanks!!

qgyh6dpisfzr.jpg

I see a change! Keep up the good work!

I can see a change already! Good job and don't give up!
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ...ONLY 23 lbs ?! ( I keep losing and gaining the same 3 lbs ..grrr...) You've done Great!!!

• kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @xcalygirl. Thx!
  • marlenepasos303
    Options
    freshstart wrote: »
    Great job!

• marlenepasos303
    Options
    I know how hard you have worked to get where you are today. I have struggle myself to lose weight and to keep it off. What tips can you give me.
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello I have lost 21 pounds and more then 11 inches in six weeks. A short amount of time

SW: 302
    CW: 281
    GW:150

I'm also 5'7

My Story:

For a good decade I was struggling, I was lazy and I didn't follow through with sticking to a program. For some reason I just couldn't psychologically get there. My mind was blocked so to speak at the idea that I had 'given up.'

I went to see the Primary Care for a referral to do Bariatric Surgery: She simply told me no after looking at my highest weight of 302 on the scale.
    I asked her why?
    She said something so wise: "Because unless you change your ways, you change your mind, you change your outlook on being healthy by exercising and eating right and you do this all in your head then you will succeed. If you don't change your way of thinking about living a healthy lifestyle then, no pill, surgery, or diet will work."

She was right! So I went to the gym I belonged too to meet my parents and talk to them about seriously signing me up with a personal trainer. Liz has been awesome, she teaches me that if I eat poorly the night before I won't train well with her the following day. I also signed something not legal or anything just a promise I wouldn't drink anything but water,juices rarely and milk and the gym stuff they sell the Alpha Amino Acids. Which do help after an intense training session with her!!

My advice:
    Keep doing what you are doing you look awesome and you can notice. Never give up and remember you have to really want to change in order to change!
    Lisa

asfz7v662rlr.jpg

In the above photo on the Right I went from 302 on the left too 288

vk168hqpm1rj.jpg

In this photo I weigh currently 281

• kmariet7
    Options
    Hello I have lost 21 pounds and more then 11 inches in six weeks. A short amount of time

SW: 302
    CW: 281
    GW:150

I'm also 5'7

My Story:

For a good decade I was struggling, I was lazy and I didn't follow through with sticking to a program. For some reason I just couldn't psychologically get there. My mind was blocked so to speak at the idea that I had 'given up.'

I went to see the Primary Care for a referral to do Bariatric Surgery: She simply told me no after looking at my highest weight of 302 on the scale.
    I asked her why?
    She said something so wise: "Because unless you change your ways, you change your mind, you change your outlook on being healthy by exercising and eating right and you do this all in your head then you will succeed. If you don't change your way of thinking about living a healthy lifestyle then, no pill, surgery, or diet will work."

She was right! So I went to the gym I belonged too to meet my parents and talk to them about seriously signing me up with a personal trainer. Liz has been awesome, she teaches me that if I eat poorly the night before I won't train well with her the following day. I also signed something not legal or anything just a promise I wouldn't drink anything but water,juices rarely and milk and the gym stuff they sell the Alpha Amino Acids. Which do help after an intense training session with her!!

My advice:
    Keep doing what you are doing you look awesome and you can notice. Never give up and remember you have to really want to change in order to change!
    Lisa

asfz7v662rlr.jpg

In the above photo on the Right I went from 302 on the left too 288

vk168hqpm1rj.jpg

In this photo I weigh currently 281

Looking good! You are on a great path!
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Awesome success stories everyone, great job! Thanks for sharing your stories! :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm still mid journey, so I hope that's okay.

In October of last year, I woke up one morning and decided to quit smoking. So I did.

In January, I decided to start up a non-profit foundation for women. So I did.

In April, I decided that I needed to make some serious changes in my life, regarding my health. I signed up here on April 23rd of this year, and I'm now 56 pounds down. I weigh and measure my food, I watch my intake and I do something for me once a day - yoga, weights or walking.

SW: 232.3
    CW: 176.6
    GW: I'll know it when I get there

This is me, shortly after starting.

pj6vag9he8zy.jpg

And this is me, last week.

6q73tvjhbsbh.jpg

I still have a bit to go. I'll get there.
  • kmariet7
    Options
    I'm still mid journey, so I hope that's okay.

In October of last year, I woke up one morning and decided to quit smoking. So I did.

In January, I decided to start up a non-profit foundation for women. So I did.

In April, I decided that I needed to make some serious changes in my life, regarding my health. I signed up here on April 23rd of this year, and I'm now 56 pounds down. I weigh and measure my food, I watch my intake and I do something for me once a day - yoga, weights or walking.

SW: 232.3
    CW: 176.6
    GW: I'll know it when I get there

This is me, shortly after starting.

pj6vag9he8zy.jpg

And this is me, last week.

6q73tvjhbsbh.jpg

I still have a bit to go. I'll get there.

Way to go! You look so much happier!
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Keep up the great work.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    kmariet7 wrote: »
    @cincysweatheart You are doing amazing!!

294 looks good on you! Goodness! Amazing transformation already!

Thanks guys! It's pretty surreal to me still! I have avoided the scale like the plague my entire life, so I have no idea when I last weighed this amount... But my sister believes I'm smaller than I was my junior year in high school! (That was the picture she was comparing) And that blows my mind. I'm still waiting for my brain to catch up to what everybody else is seeing!
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    wendyg311 wrote: »
    ...ONLY 23 lbs ?! ( I keep losing and gaining the same 3 lbs ..grrr...) You've done Great!!!
    Thank you!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Here's my before/after:

419 pounds before, June 2013
    160 pounds after, September 2014

4cqc811mhura.png
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Ftw37 wrote: »
    Here's my before/after:

419 pounds before, June 2013
    160 pounds after, September 2014

4cqc811mhura.png

Incredible!! Great job!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Virgoddess, you rock. I love your resolve. And you look marvelous!!!
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Virgoddess, excellent job! I can't wait to see the rest of your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!