Who has lost weight with little or no exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs with the only form of exercise coming from walking sporadically... sometimes several times a week, sometimes just once. Recently diagnosed with a moderate diastasis recti, so limited on type of exercises I can do. Bad knees don't help. But... my weight loss is very slow and it fluctuates up/down. It's very frustrating and hard to stay motivated but logging what I eat is essential for me!
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I exercise very rarely and I'm losing 2 lbs per week. I can't get log exercise calories accurately since I don't have an HRM. I found when I was exercising daily I was overeating due to inaccurate calories burned. Now I eat 1500 calories a day regardless of exercise. If I do exercise, I just consider it a bonus and don't eat back the extra calories! It works for me!
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try and separate exercise and weight loss. I don't eat back exercise calories. As was mentioned above diet is for weight loss and exercise is for health.

I found when I followed WW years ago that when I linked diet and exercise, if I was struggling with the diet I didn't exercise. I am very dubious about people who claim to lose massive amounts of weight through exercise alone.

In my experience I find exercise helps me maintain weight loss but doesn't significantly contribute to weight loss.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My first 60 lbs or so I lost with no change to exercise. Basically none, the small amount I might get at work on a given day.

BEST weight loss slogan I have heard is, "you can not out exercise a bad diet". Now, sure, if your a long distance runner or something, sure but for 99.9% of people this applies
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It depends on how your body adjust to it. Based on my experience,I only eat fruits and water for dinner but I have no time for exercise. I lost weight but very little. When i do my Jillian michaels then I lose weight and firm arms,legs and tummy. You have to balance things out so you can get that healthy fit body you want.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    It's perfectly feasable to lose weight and remain the same fitness you were when you were bigger.
    It depends on how you define fitness. For men strength can play a large role in the definition of being fit.

I lost a little over 60lbs without any exercise other than walking. In hindsight I should of started resistance training sooner, day one would have been a good starting point. When you don't eat enough your body will find the calories it needs, be it from fat mass or muscle tissue.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight in February 2013 and "all" I did for exercise was walking for the first 14 months... in those 14 months I lost 66.2 pounds, from calorie control and walking.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've lost with walking, lots of gardening and yard work, and occasionally yoga, pilates, or rebounding. Nothing very extreme or intense. I do exercise I know I love and can maintain forever.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    stackhsc wrote: »
    BEST weight loss slogan I have heard is, "you can not out exercise a bad diet". Now, sure, if your a long distance runner or something, sure but for 99.9% of people this applies

This. Exercise often makes me super-hungry so I used to exercise then way overeat the next two days. When I started concentrating on losing weight, I dropped the exercise other than one "oldies" cardio class a week - which is mostly for my actual health anyway not weight loss - and concentrated on diet and actually did lose weight.

And what someone else said about this being sustainable lifestyle change - I'll never be a daily heavy exerciser so when I do exercise I want it to be something I can do long term. Usually walking, though I'm trying to add some daily bodyweight exercises now it's only 10-15 min worth.