Am I overdoing the protein???

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Thought I would hit the journals to see what level is considered dangerous by the current body of science. Seems that >35% of intake is considered potentially dangerous levels but that seems a bit low to set the alarm to me but here is the link to one article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

When you say you don't "tolerate" fat very well, what do you mean?

Sounds good to me.

I think I read 52% of protein can be turned into glucose in the blood stream.
    52%? Neoglucogenesis will convert a certain amount per day but not 52%
    Where did you read that?

I think he is refering to a LC/HF diet with moderate protein intake. I think it's 150g of conversion per day IIRC but I'm just getting lazzy on the look ups...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone, but I have to question the credibility of some of these responses. 250-290 grams of protein for a 112 pound female is beyond crazy, unless we're talking about someone who is doing extreme amounts of vigorous exercise a day.

It's not a need but you have to fill your calories with something and she is using protein for calories more than for tissue maintenance/building. We understand that very well but the question is more of harm and it's not likely harmful. Not only that, even with extreme amounts of exercise she wouldn't be able to utilize that much protein and we know that but it sounds like you think maybe she could and you would be wrong.

ETA now if we are talking someone with extremely low BF%, extreme exercise AND pharma enhancements then maybe they could utilize 1.5g/lb but a normal person never could.
    Like others have mentioned, I would think she would be better off substantially increasing her carb intake. With a protein intake like that in relation to her size, I don't think we can say with certainty that there's no harm in consuming that amount.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    No offense to anyone, but I have to question the credibility of some of these responses. 250-290 grams of protein for a 112 pound female is beyond crazy, unless we're talking about someone who is doing extreme amounts of vigorous exercise a day.

It's not a need but you have to fill your calories with something and she is using protein for calories more than for tissue maintenance/building. We understand that very well but the question is more of harm and it's not likely harmful. Not only that, even with extreme amounts of exercise she wouldn't be able to utilize that much protein and we know that but it sounds like you think maybe she could and you would be wrong.

ETA now if we are talking someone with extremely low BF%, extreme exercise AND pharma enhancements then maybe they could utilize 1.5g/lb but a normal person never could.
    Like others have mentioned, I would think she would be better off substantially increasing her carb intake. With a protein intake like that in relation to her size, I don't think we can say with certainty that there's no harm in consuming that amount.

I agree, I mentioned that her trainer was probably either a low carber or a high protein advocate. I think fat and carbs should be higher but I'm a believer in more along the lines of 50% carb, 25-30% protein and the rest fat.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Too high IMO, more beneficial for you to use those calories in the form of carbs to boost performance in the gym.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Too high IMO, more beneficial for you to use those calories in the form of carbs to boost performance in the gym.

+1

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

Sounds good to me.

52%? Neoglucogenesis will convert a certain amount per day but not 52%
    Where did you read that?

I think he is refering to a LC/HF diet with moderate protein intake. I think it's 150g of conversion per day IIRC but I'm just getting lazzy on the look ups...
    Why am I not surprised his comment might have to do with some low carb stuff. As always. Just ridiculous.

I think it's more the conversion rate he's referring to. That is, he's not saying 52% of all protein you consume gets turned into glucose. He's saying that, for excess protein that your body chooses to convert to glucose, the conversion rate is about 1g/protein:.52g/glucose. No clue if those numbers are accurate though, but it's not a super efficient process and those numbers aren't that far off.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to add muscle, then the general rule is about 1g per lb of body weight. Maybe 1.5 at the very most. Keep carbs at about that same quantity. At least two days a week, dial back the carbs to only 50-100g and up fats. Personally, I think the best ratio is 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, 30% Fat. If you cut back on any one of those for too long, it cuts into muscle gains, otherwise- dialing one back for a day here and there can keep the body responsive.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Sounds good to me.

Wow, you win the award for the smallest avatar on the forums!

OP: I think SideSteel gave you some great advice, and he knows a lot about bulking (whereas I know nothing).
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Agreed. Studies show around .87g (some study even less) of protein/lbs to be sufficient for building muscle in a hypercaloric diet. While you most likely won't have adverse health effects consuming a higher protein diet, you may find you benefit more (performance and recovery) from a higher carb intake.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Romey84 wrote: »
    If you are trying to add muscle, then the general rule is about 1g per lb of body weight. Maybe 1.5 at the very most. Keep carbs at about that same quantity. At least two days a week, dial back the carbs to only 50-100g and up fats. Personally, I think the best ratio is 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, 30% Fat. If you cut back on any one of those for too long, it cuts into muscle gains, otherwise- dialing one back for a day here and there can keep the body responsive.

Why? Why cut carbs ?

Because every thread must be low carb thread.
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options

Why? Why cut carbs ?

cuz you stoke your metabolic fire?

stomach20on20fire.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Why? Why cut carbs ?

stomach20on20fire.jpg

^^ That dude is clearly eating way too frequently.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Why? Why cut carbs ?

stomach20on20fire.jpg

Maybe his on that new Chipotles only diet. :D
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Why? Why cut carbs ?

stomach20on20fire.jpg

Metabolic levels over 9,000
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Listen to SideSteel and DieselByte. I cna't say it any better than they did.