I am allowed 1200 calories per day..any tips on a sweet, low calorie, late night snack?

Options

Replies

• tampajudy140
    tampajudy140 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SofiV79 wrote: »
    I'm the same as you Muggle, and fruit just doesn't do it for me! - I try to leave some of my calories for after dinner and have a small bit of chocolate or a small choc dessert or something - have a look at my diary if you like for ideas!

• tampajudy140
    tampajudy140 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try Frozen Yogurt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Watermelon.

Like others, I slice up an apple, sprinkle it with cinnamon, and microwave it for a minute. I put a dollop of greek yogurt on top and have it with a walnut half.
  • GMKF
    GMKF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually have a spoonful of FF coolwhip to satisfy that sweet craving with a cup of tea
  • Muggle1970
    Muggle1970 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awesome feedback. Thank you all. I went to the market today and stocked up on all these low calorie ideas :-)
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts, so I apologize if my ideas are repeats!

I am a nighttime snacker as well (love sweets!). I will usually have a Fiber One treat (brownie, lemon bar, cookie etc. If you are looking to just hit the sweet tooth on the head go for a tablespoon of pure honey. 60 calories. It's so sweet you want want/need anything else.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like to have a small amount of sliced almonds and dried cranberries.. or a couple of strawberries... with a glass of water.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    By the way, I'm also generally a sweet, not salty, toothed person. But for a more substantial snack, air-popped popcorn is surprisingly good on the calories-to-volume ratio: You can eat an entire 4 popped cups for around 80 calories. Toppings can add to the calories, of course, so use those sparingly. But 4 cups is a lot of hand-to-mouth crunch if you're looking to satisfy your evening snack craving. (Bonus: It's a whole grain and high in fibre.)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Instead of a late night snack, I have tried very hard to change my habits because late night snacks were a major contributor to weight. Finding a substitute treat only reinforces an undesirable habit.

I try to not have anything after brushing my teeth.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicle! The regular (not sugar-free) ones in the half-size are 40 calories per and dang tasty.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a Cadbury's Freddo chocolate bar or a miniature Crunchie, Curly Wurly etc. 95 cals for the freddo, 80 for the miniatures.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    chocolate (i always make room).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    chocolate (i always make room).

Me too. Because the idea of life without chocolate reminds me of that old maxim, "you don't live longer; it only feels longer."
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cut very ripe bananas into chunks, stick a lolly stick on each chunk and freeze. Depends how big you cut em but mine work out about 30 cals each and takes me ages to gnaw my way through one.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn. I have the Nordic Ware popper which is easy and works well. I use popcorn salt b/c I don't have sodium restrictions. That being said, I haven't really found good popcorn seasonings... I would be happy to get some recommendations on popcorn flavoring techniques. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwaver-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004W4UP

Oh yes, and I eat back some exercise calories so I don't have to stick to 1250 to lose!

19507081.png
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    fruit!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I keep a stock of Halloween sized candy bars around (during the off season, many companies make mini or "snack" sizes you buy in the grocery store). One bar ranges from 45 to 60 calories, depending on what it is, and I find it a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth either with my afternoon tea or for desert!
  • kat77023
    Options
    Is it possible that you could develop a taste for something that isn't going to spike your insulin right before bedtime the way sweets do? Maybe some sort of cheese (e.g. Pepper Jack or Mozzarella) -- or something with protein (e.g. walnuts or Greek yogurt) -- that will satiate your hunger as they absorb slowly through the night.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the last few days of your diary, it's good to see that you've upped your calorie goal to 1400.

And if you'd lay off the Starbuck's fru-fru drinks you'd have more calories for food. Try to keep it to once a week at most. Look for some sugar-free flavored syrup in the coffee aisle at the grocery & dose your own at home. Cheaper too.
    Francl27 wrote:
    Eat back exercise calories like you're supposed to and it won't be as much of an issue.
    My doctor & dietician say _not_ to eat back exercise calories.
    Most people underestimate what they eat,
    and most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    If you're really hungry at the end of the day, have 1/3 - 1/2 of your exercise cal as a snack, or added to dinner.

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss, and having more protein will keep you feeling fuller longer. Links to studies in this blog post.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs (4 cal/g), 20% fat (9 cal/g), 35% protein (4 cal/g).