great tasting low cal meals?

Options
anyone have any flavourful low cal meal ideas? i'm not a big eater just never know what a quick (or not) meal that's not bland and boring

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Have you tried the skinnytaste site? I've been impressed with most of the recipes that I've used from there (for instance, I'm addicted to their oven-baked salmon cakes, and they have an oven-baked fried chicken that is delicious).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    this might be crazy talk, but take any recipe that you may like and just portion it out to make it as "low cal" as you want it
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    this might be crazy talk, but take any recipe that you may like and just portion it out to make it as "low cal" as you want it

Pure gold....

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Have you tried the skinnytaste site? I've been impressed with most of the recipes that I've used from there (for instance, I'm addicted to their oven-baked salmon cakes, and they have an oven-baked fried chicken that is delicious).

Skinnytaste is the bomb!! I can't recommend her website/cookbook more highly.

• Acg67
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

This has never worked for me due to lack of self control

You might be addicted to food, see if your healthcare covers food rehab

• WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options

It's not wrong for people to be different than you. I can't believe MFP allows you to continue being arrogant to people who are here for support.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    WadeLam wrote: »

It's not wrong for people to be different than you. I can't believe MFP allows you to continue being arrogant to people who are here for support.
    He suggests portion control and seeking help. how is that arrogance? Seems like supportive advice to me.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A risotto type thing with:

Tinned Tuna
    Olives
    Olive oil
    Kidney Beans
    Olives
    Onion
    Peppers
    Stock Cube
    Brown rice

You can get a delicious large plateful with Parmesan on top for around 5-600kcal. And its really nice and well balanced nutrient macro wise.
  • chantalebelle
    Options
    i'll definitely have to check out skinnytaste, thanks!
  • starchild3
    starchild3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am eating Smart one's for dinner and I buy a bag of steam vegetables to go with it. It's working for me and I feel full! Some of them aren't to my liking but some are quite good!
  • chantalebelle
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas i'll give them a try!
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In addition to Skinnytaste recipes, you could check out the "hungry girl" site, which has some interesting ideas.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Chocolate tastes amazing!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Take any recipe. Halve the meat, starch, and sugar. Take out the cheese. Triple the vegetables. Cut out the oil/fat (use cooking spray or a dry heat method instead).

So:

Loaded baked potato (butter, sour cream, bacon) becomes: a half baked potato topped with a little "it can't be butter", bell peppers, tomatoes, and sprinkled with turkey bacon crumbs.

Beef stew with vegetables becomes: Vegetable stew flavored with beef

Strawberry ice cream sundae becomes: big bowl of sliced strawberries topped with a spoonful of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

Ham and cheese sandwich becomes: chef's salad with sliced ham and a few crackers on the side.

"on a bed of rice" becomes: "on a bed of stirfried veggies"

• WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options

He suggests portion control and seeking help. how is that arrogance? Seems like supportive advice to me.

Someone says they have suffered from lack of self control, and he suggests food addiction and checking to see if their health insurance covers food rehab? Seriously?! You're right. Sounds like he's very concerned. *smh*
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Someone says they have suffered from lack of self control, and he suggests food addiction and checking to see if their health insurance covers food rehab? Seriously?! You're right. Sounds like he's very concerned. *smh*

He does sound concerned. He could have told him that food addiction isn't real and that he needs to grow up and be an adult. Instead he suggested seeking help. How is that arrogant?
  • Acg67
    Options

LOL, how exactly are you supporting people here?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Your sarcasm is not needed here