new Microsoft Fitness band

Options

Replies

• sparkleiya
    sparkleiya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Guys, this is an advertisement. Take any comments with a big grain of salt. The poster even said she works for Microsoft. I mean, okay, the product itself might be good. But if you're looking to get a good idea of what owning one of these will actually be like, this topic is about as reliable as any other commercial.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine yesterday. . . I have a Fitness Band addiction. I've had:

The original Jawbone Up (the one that was recalled)
    FitBit Ultra
    Basis Band
    Misfit Shine
    FitBit One
    Garmin Vivosmart (my current one)

I plan on wearing the Microsoft Band and my Vivosmart at the same time to compare the numbers, and I'll use my heart rate monitor during workouts to compare with the MS results. I was planning on ordering the new FitBit, but with this release from MS, I got a little impatient. :) Can't wait to start testing it!
  • kCalCrusher
    kCalCrusher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    sparkleiya wrote: »
    Guys, this is an advertisement. Take any comments with a big grain of salt. The poster even said she works for Microsoft. I mean, okay, the product itself might be good. But if you're looking to get a good idea of what owning one of these will actually be like, this topic is about as reliable as any other commercial.

No it isn't. It's somebody who works for MS letting us know about a product that looks, on the face of it, pretty good. Astroturfers aren't that honest up front.

Personally I'll wait until the reviews are in, but this interests me.

I have no personal interest is in the product from a business perspective...Im not making any money off of it. I don't even sell the thing ! I just happen to work for the manufacturer. Its a new product on the market and Im writing about it on a fitness forum. Imagine that. Someone would have posted about it.. But I guess everyone writing about it is advertising. Seriously?
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

FitBit Ultra
    Basis Band
    Misfit Shine
    FitBit One

I plan on wearing the Microsoft Band and my Vivosmart at the same time to compare the numbers, and I'll use my heart rate monitor during workouts to compare with the MS results. I was planning on ordering the new FitBit, but with this release from MS, I got a little impatient. :) Can't wait to start testing it!

I have the Garmin Vivofit. It's been my favorite so far. I'm curious about the discrepancy between the two as far as heart rate monitors. Let me know how it turns out!
  • Raynne413
    Options
    AMTirpak wrote: »

FitBit Ultra
    Basis Band
    Misfit Shine
    FitBit One

I have the Garmin Vivofit. It's been my favorite so far. I'm curious about the discrepancy between the two as far as heart rate monitors. Let me know how it turns out!

Will do. I really like the Vivosmart now that they have all of the initial horrid issues fixed (I originally want to run it over with my car LOL), but I liked the idea of the in-depth sleep analysis, being guided through workouts, and the 24/7 heart rate.

• Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    looking to get the vivofit...easy to use? user friendly?
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    looking to get the vivofit...easy to use? user friendly?

I liked it a lot. Next to the Microsoft Band (so far) the Garmin was my fave. No need to charge it at all. You have to buy a strap separate if you want to use the heart rate function. The sleep tracker was a little better with the Fit Bit.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on getting the HRM at this time. Guess tomorrow I get the Garmin =)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi,

I just contacted Microsoft and they have no clue when they will have the band available in Canada. I started using the Fitbit flex about 8 months ago and I'm now a bit obsessed with fitness technology. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that has the features of the Fitbit flex and an HRM (without a strap)?
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had the same answer from Microsoft - annoying.

A few other similar ones coming out are (I am interested in GPS tracking as well so these have it):
    Both coming soon:
    Basis Peak
    Polar M400
    Probably closest to what you're looking for:
    Garmin Vivosmart (no GPS, I can't find the one with HRM in stores herei n Canada..)
    Coming "early 2015" - forgive me if I don't trust Fitbit anymore :( :
    Fitbit Surge (with GPS + more)
    Fitbit Charge HR - if I were patient I may wait for this

Overall Microsoft Band is the most reasonably priced with GPS that I have seen so far, which is why I personally am intrigued.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Hi,

I just contacted Microsoft and they have no clue when they will have the band available in Canada. I started using the Fitbit flex about 8 months ago and I'm now a bit obsessed with fitness technology. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that has the features of the Fitbit flex and an HRM (without a strap)?

Depends how long you want to wait. Fitbit is releasing a new band next year that measures heart rate continuously, but again, that's the US release dated.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't work for MS. My Band arrives on Tuesday. I would expect everyone to go out and review the product/reviews if they are interested. The backstory link I posted should also provide insight into the backing this product has at MS.
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I don't work for MS. My Band arrives on Tuesday. I would expect everyone to go out and review the product/reviews if they are interested. The backstory link I posted should also provide insight into the backing this product has at MS.

Let me know how you like it. My heart rate seemed low compared to my Garmin so I checked the old fashioned way and it was right on. I've been thinking my resting heart rate was between 80-90 and today its between more like 65-70. Pleasantly surprised =)
  • Angiruns
    Options
    I got my Microsoft Band today. So far I love it. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 also and love that. I have only done one run with it so far, but in my first run I found it to be accurate and great data, including 2 things I don't get with the Garmin. I think I would still use the Garmin for certain workouts and races, but I am happy so far.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For anyone wondering how the Band and MFP sync (as of right now) check out this thread from over at Windows Central -

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/320444-myfitnesspal-band-you.html#post2839713
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To add to this thread, the new FitBit Charge HR does not do notifications from your phone. It only supports Caller ID. No email, no texts, no nothing. The FitBit Surge will support more notifications, although it seems to be much wider than normal wrist work fitness trackers. However, FitBit seems to be one of only two companies whose products sync Steps with MFP. Garmin, MS, and most others only sync Activities and Calorie Adjustments.
  • KevinGrigsby
    Options
    I received my MS Band on Monday. I love how it tracks my sleep and workouts. Clearly I am a snorer and am not getting the best night sleep I can. I compared the calories burned compared to the elliptical I was using and the actual was less. Totally okay with that. I have friends that have a fitbit and thought it was just a "don't forget to move" band since it was all fake and you could shake your hand to "walk" and get steps and such. I always said it was a good thing to keep you moving (as long as it was not to just move your wrist.) but would never get one until it had a heart rate monitor to truly get a real reading. Love it. Still learning the extra things it can do. Love the chart. Used the Starbucks tile this morning. The cashier was shocked. The vivo/vivosmart looks so ... 3 years ago. The MS Band has an actual screen. Don't get me wrong, I have a garmin 510 for my road bike, so that would work great that way.

Based on this site, I wish I could put the calories I have eaten in or if it was tied to MFP directly. Go MS Band! Go get one! Go do stuff!
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am returning my band. Even with the small, it is just huge on my wrist. The idea of trying to do kickboxing with it on scares me. LOL If I had it tight enough so that it wasn't moving around, it seemed to press just right on the tendons and veins to partially cut off circulation. I'm sad because I was SO excited about it and really interested in the features.

The calories burned seemed off to me though. I put the band around 8:30, took two 10 minute walks (one of which I tracked as exercise and it said I burned 74 calories) and at 10:30, it said I had only burned around 240 calories for the DAY.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    AMTirpak wrote: »

FitBit Ultra
    Basis Band
    Misfit Shine
    FitBit One

Will do. I really like the Vivosmart now that they have all of the initial horrid issues fixed (I originally want to run it over with my car LOL), but I liked the idea of the in-depth sleep analysis, being guided through workouts, and the 24/7 heart rate.

Is the 24/7 heart rate on your wrist as accurate as a chest strap HRM?

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Surge in my future. Done so many of the rest for the last few years and keep going back to my MotoActv from years back, but I've needed an update.