Am I overdoing the protein???

Options

Replies

• GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can you honestly make it through an hour of German Volume Training with that low of carbs? I think you will be surprised at how how effective your training and gains in strength will be if you swap up some of that protein with carbs.

The highest I've ever gone was 280 and that was a 240 pounds with my dreading every trip to the bathroom.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

When you say you don't "tolerate" fat very well, what do you mean?

Sounds good to me.

I think I read 52% of protein can be turned into glucose in the blood stream.
    52%? Neoglucogenesis will convert a certain amount per day but not 52%
    Where did you read that?

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm

"Between 50–60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3–4 hours after it's eaten."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Romey84 wrote: »
    If you are trying to add muscle, then the general rule is about 1g per lb of body weight. Maybe 1.5 at the very most. Keep carbs at about that same quantity. At least two days a week, dial back the carbs to only 50-100g and up fats. Personally, I think the best ratio is 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, 30% Fat. If you cut back on any one of those for too long, it cuts into muscle gains, otherwise- dialing one back for a day here and there can keep the body responsive.

Why? Why cut carbs ?

cuz you stoke your metabolic fire?

stomach20on20fire.jpg

is that what happens when you eat one meal ever hour for 24 hours a day = stoking the metabolic fire?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

Sounds good to me.

Where did you read that?

I think he is refering to a LC/HF diet with moderate protein intake. I think it's 150g of conversion per day IIRC but I'm just getting lazzy on the look ups...
    Why am I not surprised his comment might have to do with some low carb stuff. As always. Just ridiculous.

I think it's more the conversion rate he's referring to. That is, he's not saying 52% of all protein you consume gets turned into glucose. He's saying that, for excess protein that your body chooses to convert to glucose, the conversion rate is about 1g/protein:.52g/glucose. No clue if those numbers are accurate though, but it's not a super efficient process and those numbers aren't that far off.

You can read the link I posted. I think it is all protein not just spare protein. This is the main source of glucose for those on a low carb diet.

Remember CARBS are one thing the human body does NOT require to be health because in times pass carbs were hard to come by in certain locations and seasons.

Fat and Protein that one must have to live a healthy life. However I for one though I could live on carbs per the scales. :(
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Romey84 wrote: »
    If you are trying to add muscle, then the general rule is about 1g per lb of body weight. Maybe 1.5 at the very most. Keep carbs at about that same quantity. At least two days a week, dial back the carbs to only 50-100g and up fats. Personally, I think the best ratio is 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, 30% Fat. If you cut back on any one of those for too long, it cuts into muscle gains, otherwise- dialing one back for a day here and there can keep the body responsive.

Why? Why cut carbs ?

cuz you stoke your metabolic fire?

stomach20on20fire.jpg

is that what happens when you eat one meal ever hour for 24 hours a day = stoking the metabolic fire?

yes
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Sounds good to me.

Where did you read that?

I think he is refering to a LC/HF diet with moderate protein intake. I think it's 150g of conversion per day IIRC but I'm just getting lazzy on the look ups...
    Why am I not surprised his comment might have to do with some low carb stuff. As always. Just ridiculous.

I think it's more the conversion rate he's referring to. That is, he's not saying 52% of all protein you consume gets turned into glucose. He's saying that, for excess protein that your body chooses to convert to glucose, the conversion rate is about 1g/protein:.52g/glucose. No clue if those numbers are accurate though, but it's not a super efficient process and those numbers aren't that far off.

You can read the link I posted. I think it is all protein not just spare protein. This is the main source of glucose for those on a low carb diet.

Remember CARBS are one thing the human body does NOT require to be health because in times pass carbs were hard to come by in certain locations and seasons.

Fat and Protein that one must have to live a healthy life. However I for one though I could live on carbs per the scales. :(

Sorry, point two, other than being an Argument to Nature fallacy, has never been shown in any population. As I have pointed out previously, even Inuit have not been found to be in ketosis due to the glycogen in their food. If you are have a diet where you do not get plants then you better have somewhere to get your vitamin C and that is in uncooked meat. If you are getting vitamin C from your meat you are also getting sufficient carbohydrates to not be in ketosis.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

"Between 50–60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3–4 hours after it's eaten."

Um, if anything, that article directly refutes the quoted statement. It evens goes on to say that there is no measured increase in blood glucose after a lean steak meal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    damn, steve just got served.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Seems like an incredible and unnecessary amount of protein to me. 15% fat is too low, your macros need to be more balanced.

But hey, what do I know?!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    260g of protein is over twice as much what is normally recommended or needed. My experience has been that your body will tell you what is too much and if OP is truly eating that much protein she is probably a constant fart machine.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I were you I would increase my Carbs over my Proteins, it looks like you need most of it to be energy at 2600 calories.
    In my personal opinion I think your split should be 35/50/15 (P/C/F). With your body weight if you need those 2600 calories you should be fine with 228 grams of protein.
    Yep, I'd up my carbs a bit.
    The makers of protein supplements have convinced the herd that excessive amounts of protein are necessary to keep bodybuilders from becoming girly men.
    There is no value in that line of thought.
    You're no girly man...lol
    :)
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

Um, if anything, that article directly refutes the quoted statement. It evens goes on to say that there is no measured increase in blood glucose after a lean steak meal.

Read your own article bro. ;)
    50sFit wrote: »
    I were you I would increase my Carbs over my Proteins, it looks like you need most of it to be energy at 2600 calories.
    In my personal opinion I think your split should be 35/50/15 (P/C/F). With your body weight if you need those 2600 calories you should be fine with 228 grams of protein.
    The makers of protein supplements have convinced the herd that excessive amounts of protein are necessary to keep bodybuilders from becoming girly men.

Are you suggesting I DON'T need at least one jug of whey isolate taken intravaneously per day? That's not what the supplement companies told me...
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, and the links to articles. Yes, I can (and do!) get through that amount of protein, but I think it is a good idea to reduce the protein and up the other two. Like most women, I have had the 'fat is evil' brainwashing over the years, so most of my fat comes from fats occurring naturally in food (eg eggs). However I luckily escaped the 'carbs are evil' brainwashing brigade, and I think I would go mad if I could not have my morning porridge and snack on toast at work.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

Read your own article bro. ;)
    50sFit wrote: »

Are you suggesting I DON'T need at least one jug of whey isolate taken intravaneously per day? That's not what the supplement companies told me...
    Oh really?
    Just go with whatever is suggested in FLEX Magazine.
    lol
    0fzp67vd3dz8.jpg

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That's 300 grams of protein per day. You are going to have serious kidney problems. From WebMD....The maximum amount of protein that most adults can use per day is 0.9 grams per pound of body weight. So if you're an adult athlete who wants to build muscle mass, and you weigh about 175 pounds, the most protein you would need per day is 157.5 grams. I do not lift weights, but you could go as high as 30% Protein, 40% Carbs, 30% Fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For some reason I was under the assumption that the derp hadn't made it to the weight gain forum. I was wrong.

are you sure you have 7600 posts….

you assume too much…LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MFP should change the site address to www.derplandia.com