What question do you get asked too often?

Options

Replies

• Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    Why are you not married or when are you going to get a husband.

Number 1
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    Why do you run? (If you need to ask, you'll never understand the answer).

I run and I still don't know the answer...
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    For me, it is "Why don't you want kids?"

Well, random stranger, let me explain how it is none of your business...

I don't have kids (I am 42) and people assume it is because I don't want them and so I do get asked that. See, for me - I would love to have kids, I just can't. So yeah, that is an awful question to ask someone without kids. The fact that I can't have them is very painful and the question just brings all that up.

And since I have lost weight I get a lot of questions about that - especially how much do I want to lose and how much do I want to weigh - sorry but that is none of anyone's business. I am looking to lose more than 100 lbs but I don't want people to know that - I carried it pretty well but seriously it seems obvious that I probably need to lose a lot. It is embarrassing - why do people ask that kind of stuff?
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Why are you not married or when are you going to get a husband.

Number 1

This. I know they mean well, but just...sigh.

Plus the "oh, you still have time" on the kid thing, usually after I've just said I don't want one. I love kids. Just don't want one of my own. Some people are confused by that.

• SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    ^^^agreed....why just because I was fluffy and now I'm less fluffy do people think they can ask me specifics about my fluffiness!
  • tchell99
    Options

I don't have kids (I am 42) and people assume it is because I don't want them and so I do get asked that. See, for me - I would love to have kids, I just can't. So yeah, that is an awful question to ask someone without kids. The fact that I can't have them is very painful and the question just brings all that up.

I am so sorry you get this. People just don't think sometimes.

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

And since I have lost weight I get a lot of questions about that - especially how much do I want to lose and how much do I want to weigh - sorry but that is none of anyone's business. I am looking to lose more than 100 lbs but I don't want people to know that - I carried it pretty well but seriously it seems obvious that I probably need to lose a lot. It is embarrassing - why do people ask that kind of stuff?

I, too, am sorry that this is such a painful topic for you. I cannot imagine wanting kids and not being able to have them. I read it suggested that I (not wanting kids) could just tell people that I could not have kids. I feel like that would be wrong on so many levels, not the least of which is that it would diminish your very real experiences and emotions.

I wish you many good things.
  • Misshodge64
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »

I have no husband cause I told them no.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    What's it's name? ... His name is Magnus, in reference to my dog who is usually out on runs or hiking with me.
  • tchell99
    Options

That comment was meant for Sunburnt, but I am sure that is true. Dodged a few bullets myself along the way. ;)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    "Do you want to arm wrestle?" I'm not even kidding.
  • Misshodge64
    Options

That comment was meant for Sunburnt, but I am sure that is true. Dodged a few bullets myself along the way. ;)

Love your profile picture
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just wanted to say I'm there with you. It never worked out for me to have kids and I'm 41. There's a lot that happens, sometimes with our bodies, sometimes with our situations, and it's no one's business why a woman does or does not have children. For most, it's probably going to cause some pain or discomfort, even if some or all of it was by choice or just circumstances. There are many rooms in the room called childlessness and not all the doors are labeled "Don't want" or "Couldn't have."
  • salenar2014
    salenar2014 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky your tall you can carry more weight (passive aggressive way of calling me fat).
    And my favorite "dont you think you have enough kids"? I totally get why some people choose not to have kids and have nothing but love and respect for them. However people dont seem to consider the other side of the spectrum- some people like their kids and the idea of a big family (i have 3 btw i dont think thats alot but i guess im wrong?). Oh and last i checked they werent raising them or paying for them so calm down hypothetical person representing the group of people that ask me this question!
  • tchell99
    Options
    [/quote]

Love your profile picture[/quote]

Thanks, and likewise! Should be updating any moment now, though (there seems to be a lag when you change your main pic for it to hit the forums).

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    "When are you going to get married?"

Never mind the fact that I tell these people all the time I have zero desire to ever get married. I barely have any desire for a romantic relationship. And I definitely have no desire for the... other kind of relationship. Marriage is not the only end goal if one happens to have been born a woman. Many of us have many other goals. Of course, if I try to explain this to them, they say

"But don't you want children?"

Which is my second answer. (The answer to that is not no, but HECK NO)

I'm always told "I'll change my mind". I've heard that since I was 11. I hear some women (and a few men) hear that tired line right until they're in their 30's or so before people realize hey, this person really doesn't want to get married and/or have children.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I feel like a large part of it comes from the fact that in our society, weight loss is encouraged. So people feel like it's safe to ask those questions when it's regarding weight loss. Even though, often, it isn't. As there are many reasons one might lose weight (dieting, illness, eating disorder, depression, etc). And even if the person is losing weight intentionally, such questions can feel awkward. But weight loss is treated as a compliment. Even when I was at my sickest - and looked it - people complimented my weight loss. And asked questions they probably shouldn't have been asking.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Did we go to high school together?

No...I'm not from this area.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    Why do you run? (If you need to ask, you'll never understand the answer).
    Tell them because it's better than workplace violence as a stress reliever. They look at you funny and leave you alone.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Can you send me some pics of your dong? Like, who asks a nice upstanding gentleman like me such things? ;)