Fed up of slim friends making me feel worthless and fat.....

Options

Replies

• AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I got new friends...
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I had two best friends and they always said I was the 'prettier' out of the two of them. Then I hit 22 and started putting on weight like crazy!! They LOVED it. They would make snide remarks and I could see how petty and Jealous they truly were at one time. Those are now what I call 'forgotten' friends.
    These friends of yours need to join the 'forgotten' crew. I would disassociate myself completely, Only surround yourself with those that cherish you, then only you can see to grow in a positive light. :)

Best of luck, you got this!!

Lisa
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You can choose your friends and your attitude about your weight. Get new friends and get a new attitude.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Change how you feel about yourself and get better friends -- ones who like you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need new friends.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Are these friends actually saying things to make you feel this way, or are you feeling this way because their slimness is a reminder that you are not slim ? If the latter, then that is not their problem, but yours.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would not stay friends with people who made me feel bad. I have the same friends now that I'm thin because our friendship is based on much more than appearance. I do occasionally get mildly annoyed when an acquaintance comments on how lucky I am to be thin and able to eat what I want. But I let it go since they really have no idea how hard I work.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    santd wrote: »
    Do you have friends that make you feel fat and worthless. Or demoralized! tell me your story of how you found your confidence to beat those feelings.....
    Easy, I severed the relationships and made new connections.
    And after I lost the weight, I had the same issue but in reverse. People were jealous of my success. Just shrug off the shackles of all toxic relationships.
    Negative people never change, so we must change.
    n10wkxmd5jrs.jpg

• RunnerStephe
    Options
    Do you have friends that make you feel fat and worthless. Or demoralized! tell me your story of how you found your confidence to beat those feelings.....

Get rid of them. Friends support one another. Get new ones.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would not stay friends with people who made me feel bad. I have the same friends now that I'm thin because our friendship is based on much more than appearance. I do occasionally get mildly annoyed when an acquaintance comments on how lucky I am to be thin and able to eat what I want. But I let it go since they really have no idea how hard I work.
    ………This...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    First of all… if they really are treating you badly, they are not friends. You deserve better than that. And you should not be afraid to tell them that if they want to keep you as a friend, they need to knock it the hell off. No second chances. You're done putting up with sh**! They need a good "come to Jesus" moment! There is no excuse for treating anybody like that.

Secondly… Are they really treating you badly or are you feeling fat, worthless or demoralized because of your own personal demons? I'm not accusing. Just asking. Because so many times I think we allow ourselves to feel that way simply because deep down we hate who we are. And sometimes people who already are who we want to be makes that feeling even worse. I know I've been there.

If it's the first… kick 'em to the curb! You don't need that kind of negativity. And besides… there are already enough people in the world who want to make you feel that way… you don't need it from your friends. Friends will support you and make you feel better about yourself. Period.

But if it's the second… Well, first of all… just be honest with yourself and recognize that it's the case. But that's also a good thing… because if it's you… you can change that. I'm not saying it's easy or something that will happen overnight. But change is always possible. You may need outside or even professional help in some cases… but change is possible.
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    There will always be someone you know who will berate you because you are thin or fat, rich or poor, or smart or outspoken or....well this list can go on. They are also humans and are acting out because of some insecurities of their own. Their definition of you cannot, should not and will not define your individuality. At some point of time even you must have shamed someone for some reason.

But if it hurts you, then you must speak to them about it and reconsider your friendship.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't hang around with people, including toxic family members, who bring me down. I don't have the time and patience for negativity. <3
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Are your friends making you feel worthless or are YOU making yourself feel worthless??? If it's your friends who are actively beating you down then drop them and get new friends. If it is just your jealousy of their slim bodies and your own insecurity, then look inside yourself for the answer.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I beat it by knowing which ones are friends and which are not. FRIENDS support you, stand by your side, cheer for you, and love you whether you are 80 lbs or 800 lbs. Anybody that does NOT fit in that category, KICK EM TO THE CURB!!!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If your friends are saying/doing something that makes you feel this way - your friends are worthless and you need new friends.

If it is how you feel when you are around them because you envy their physical appearance, that it is on you and you can change that one day at a time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Be nice if the OP could just clarify whether its intentional acts by the friends or its just how she feels. Depending which one it is the answers are quite different.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It could be possible that you are projecting your insecurities onto them. If that's the case, you have to find the answers within yourself.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If they say and do things to deliberately make you feel bad, then the real and only question is; why do you put up with it?

All of my friends are gorgeous and skinny, and most are rich to boot. The only one who isn't skinny is a superstar prodigy federal attorney at 30. Do I compare myself to them and find myself lacking? Yes, all the time. Is that productive? Not at all. And I figure, if people that awesome want to hang out with me all the time even though I'm fat and single and was just out of work for almost a year, there must be something seriously amazing about me. Of course, it would be great if I knew what that was, but hey... :)

Love this!!!
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Two things..
    1)No, those aren't friends.
    2)Some people do it without meaning to. If you're gonna be overly sensitive to what others say about your body then you need to either a-tell them not to talk about your body (and you don't talk about theirs either) or b-suck it up and just realize that you're making a difference in your life for you and no one else