How am I going to survive Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas on 1,200 calories a day?

Options
124»

Replies

• aperson1961
    Options
    1200 calories is a possible myfitnesspal calorie recommendation for losing 2lb per week depending on your height, weight, and activity. 1200 calories isn't necessarily a mistake ... but in order to stay at that limited number of calories, you really have to know your food to have a reasonably balanced diet as well as not be hungry. As I mentioned above, I am eating 1300 calories and it is a challenge, but definitely doable ... but I eat mostly grilled chicken, tuna, fresh fruits, fresh veges, sprouted wheat bread, and various other items that will fit into such a diet. It is all grab food that is handy to make it easier for me. Very infrequent/limited sweets, no sauces with high calories, no butter, no jelly, etc ... because there is very little room to waste on those with 1300 calories (but I am finding some very good alternatives and my food is getting quite tasty). You also have to be willing to limit yourself in this way and continue to research foods. I am at a point where I really have to be aggressive with diet. I will increase my calories to lose less per week along with possibly increasing exercise if I don't feel like I can eat in a healthy manner with the daily calorie number recommendation (as the calorie recommendation does go down as you lose weight).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    on thanksgiving i run a 5 mile Turkey Trot... and i also don't count a single calorie.
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How am I going to survive Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas on 1,200 calories a day?

3/365 days. I think you'll survive...
    Love this! Exactly what I was thinking. So much of what I hear this time of year is "I'll get serious AFTER the holidays, because I want to be able to have whatever I want on Thanksgiving and Christmas!" My answer to them is "Ok, that is 2 days out of the 61 days between November 1st and January 1st. So have your 2 days! There are 59 more where you could be focusing on your health!" Anyone could accomplish a LOT over these next two months, IF they WANTED to.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    With 55 lbs to go, I question your 1200 calorie number. List your height and weight
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My plan for special occasions (anniversary, birthdays, holidays) is to keep to my calorie all the other days of that week and not worry about that special day. My husband and I are going out to celebrate his birthday this evening. I've tried to keep my calories down for the day so far but for dinner...not gonna worry. However the halloween candy that I bought (we didn't get a single kid) is taunting me. I might have one but I'll make sure I log it and I'll try to give away what I can to friends.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat things just bevause they are there. You do have to think about your choices and have some willpower.

You don't have to buy candy and hand it out. You could have bought non-food treats like stickers, pencils or small toys. You can buy non-chocolate candy. You can do something else on Halloween that doesn't involve food.

On Thanksgiving, plan ahead. I bet you have an idea what foods there will be in advance. You don't have to eat 50 side dishes and 3 desserts just because they are there. Have reasonable portions. Make most of your plate vegetables. Have 1 dessert serving. Don't go back for seconds. Drink water. Log your food. Get some exercise instead of eating more and watching tv. Leave the house. Freeze leftovers.

Christmas might be trickiest because it is really a season instead of a day. People are going to put unhealthy food in front of you all month long. There are going to be parties with food. You might have a family gathering or two with big dinners. Plan in advance where you can. Log what you eat. Keep active. Allow yourself 1 treat per day or week. Eat smaller portions. Don't take seconds. Say no thank you. Throw food away. Freeze leftovers. Give food away. Have healthy snacks with you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanksgiving/Christmas...no big deal, I handled Easter fine by eating a lighter lunch beforehand, and it's only my parents and me so not too much food. The morning after Christmas, when I go out to a breakfast buffet with my coworkers after doing end-of-holiday markdowns? That's another story. Plus I might just change my deficit before then to 1 pound per week, which is coming close.
  • aperson1961
    Options

3/365 days. I think you'll survive...
    Love this! Exactly what I was thinking. So much of what I hear this time of year is "I'll get serious AFTER the holidays, because I want to be able to have whatever I want on Thanksgiving and Christmas!" My answer to them is "Ok, that is 2 days out of the 61 days between November 1st and January 1st. So have your 2 days! There are 59 more where you could be focusing on your health!" Anyone could accomplish a LOT over these next two months, IF they WANTED to.

That may work for some people, but it would be easy to get in the habit of doing this too often (so I don't). Events come up all year ... in the past few weeks, a birthday and a wedding (which we had to travel for) ... and there will be holiday potlucks and dinners. For me, it is better to plan what I eat and stay within my goal (or at least be reasonable about going over ... don't just eat anything I want)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a lot of people worry about the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when they should be worrying about the days between Christmas and Thanksgiving.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I have absolutely 0 plans to stick to my calorie limit on Thanksgiving. I will probably eat less than I have in the past, simply because I'm used to eating less and feel full sooner than I used to. But I fully plan to heap my plate full of stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and gravy and enjoy every single delicious calorie. And then the next day, I'll be right back to weighing, measuring and counting my calories.

Mostly that.

But also I'm a non-food-touching person and I eat very slowly (and I can't eat nearly as much as I used to be able to) so very small portions (at a time, so they don't touch) and lots of water in between+ a good workout that morning. I'm not worrying about it too much.

Good luck. But ultimately...it's one day.