Working Out In Jeans

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Depends on where you are working out. Most gyms don't allow them.

What? Tell me of these gyms in which someone can't come as they are. Not snarky at all. Just an ignorant gal (I workout at home or the occasional "drop in" class at my uni's gym--no dress code there).

This depends on what you do for exercise. High intensity workouts typically involve having to wear clothes that allow for much better breathability, have moisture wicking properties, and don't hinder range of motion in the way jeans do. Would you attempt to go through a full on yoga session in jeans? Would you attempt to do a circuit training workout at high intensity in jeans? Would you do an intense lower body workout in jeans? If you said yes to any of the above questions you're asking for injury. This is why gyms don't allow them (in most cases).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I'm going with no. Not really breathable or functionally appropriate, and any metal embellishment (snaps, studs, zippers, button, etc) can puncture or rip the pads on the equipment. There's a reason gyms require athletic wear.

I don't do intense workouts in jeans for that reason. My legs would be rubbed raw by heavy, salty-sweat-soaked denim. I will walk or hike in jeans, as long as it isn't too hot, but nothing more vigorous.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I did an insanity class in jeans. Boy was I sweating! I had worked out earlier doing something else, and I ran out of clothes and just had jeans.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    Where I grew up, skiing in jeans was seen as a badge of honor. It means you *never* fall because your clothes would be soaked and waterlogged otherwise. As teenagers, we cheated and sprayed down our jeans with water proofing spray (sold for leather shoes) so that our jeans wouldn't absorb water after a fall.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unless you really want to struggle during your workout, go for jeans :)
    if you want to have a nice time , shorts above knee or track pants for men
    most yoga pants looks okay for women, I didn't tried :P
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Just wear elastic band jorts. You'll be the coolest person in the gym.

Glad I finished my coffee just before I read that!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would think jeans wouldn't let the sweat wick from your body easily... you should wear clothes that are mainly cotton so that your body can breathe and you won't get rashes. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Personal choice I guess. It's nothing to do with me what someone else chooses to wear at the gym. But I did spot a lady recently working out in jeans at my gym. It wouldn't work for me though. I sweat like a beast to the point even my moisture wick gear is struggling to keep up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For brisk walking, casual bike riding, and some other lower intensity activities not done in the gym sure. For the gym or high intensity work no. If you work out at home you can if you like but I wouldn't understand why.

As for the boots mentioned before, I've worn inexpensive dress shoes occasionally when doing Olympic Lifting and Power Lifting because they are actually decent lifting shoes and much cheaper. When I got some lifting shoes so I stopped.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why would you wear clothing that would hold onto moisture and possibly rub ?That makes no sense. If you're comfortable wearing jeans while working out you're not working hard enough.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Jeans just seem really uncomfortable for strenuous workouts. Walking is fine, but if you're lifting, you might end up ripping them depending on how fitted they are. Also, the possible chaffing that could happen :(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would say no to wearing jeans during exercise unless your workout of choice is walking.
    You can get longer shorts, sweat pants, leggings, or yoga pants pretty easily.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't even have jeans, so no for me.

If someone else wears them, that's cool. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Some bros lift in their jeans and work boots at my gym. I think it's odd. Anyway, I can't imagine doing cardio in jeans. So sticky.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

But... caveat... I do tend cycle in regular street clothes (including jeans) since for me that's a means of getting around.

Jeans ain't exactly the most comfortable cycling clothes. There are folks working on that, though. There's a woman in Toronto who just launched a line of women's cycling commuter jeans -- I've been following the project carefully and aim to check them out once I've lost enough weight to fit into her sizes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is this a serious question?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 yes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would not ….jeans not really suited to squatting 250+ pounds...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my rest days. So I just take a short walk around the neighborhood on that day. And I wear my workout shoes but with jeans. I cannot move as fast in jeans. I try to keep up the same pace as I do throughout the week and I just can't do it! So nay, for me.