Whey Protein Shakes

Options

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you're lactose intolerant I'd suggest trying ISOPURE.
    lactose free whey isolate.
    Comes in fruit flavors too :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Some people are lactose intolerant

then why are they having whey protein shakes? *confused*

and this isn't about me eating primal. I'm just trying to encourage people to eat food with an ingredient list that they can pronounce and count on one hand-- ie: REAL FOOD. The only time I have even mentioned Primal is the single link I posted if anyone was curious about it. That's it. I never said "Everyone must eat paleo/primal". That is not my mantra. I just think our bodies function better when not eating processed craziness.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    If you don't know what the ingredients are or cannot pronounce them, research them. Find information about what you are putting into your body.

Again, thank you for putting into words what I obviously can't.

IMO, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, put the product down and back away. If the ingredient list is longer than 5 or 6, put it down and back away. At least until you can figure out WTH it is and if you actually want that kind of chemical in your body
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

how is hemp protein better than whey for my body though?

*shrug* I dunno, I just think of the stuff in the canisters at Walmart when I see "whey protein" and "shake" together. That stuff is gross. I much rather eat food less processed than that.

Totally on bmontgomery87's side I mean LOOK AT HIM if you want to see that he knows what he's talkingn about.

and if you don't like protein powders from Walmart, it's understandable but there are HUNDREDS of oth protein powders out there. Generalizing ALL protein powders as processed foods is ridiculous.

I buy ISO-Sensation 93 Natural. It's 93% pure protein with all natural ingredients and only 130 cals, no fat, 30mg sodium and 30g of protein per scoop. You are just NOT going to be able to supplement like this with normal food without going WAY over on fat or sodium or somewhere else.

They are called SUPPLEMENTS because you take them with all the REAL FOOD you are already eating. Who's going to be eating 3 chicken breasts or a pound of beef on top of their regular daily food intake. If you do then more power to ya.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I buy ISO-Sensation 93 Natural. It's 93% pure protein with all natural ingredients and only 130 cals, no fat, 30mg sodium and 30g of protein per scoop.

And how does it taste? Is it the best protein you've ever tasted (compared with a steak, chicken breast, etc)? What's the cost?

Again, you & montgomery find me a sugar free protein powder that tastes just as good as filet mignon, and is reasonably priced, and we'll talk :)
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    02_Haters_Gonna_Hate-s600x433-62658-580.jpg
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    If you don't know what the ingredients are or cannot pronounce them, research them. Find information about what you are putting into your body.

Again, thank you for putting into words what I obviously can't.

IMO, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, put the product down and back away. If the ingredient list is longer than 5 or 6, put it down and back away. At least until you can figure out WTH it is and if you actually want that kind of chemical in your body

I don't think putting things down and walking away is the answer. That would be a lazy/easy way out. Why not spend some time and find out what you are eating first. As my very first contribution to this topic stated not all whey's are equal. You have good and bad.

I've spent countless hours reading about powders, comparing ingredient lists, going through pages and pages of nutritional advice before buying my protein.

To be honest with you, unless you are growing your own meat, fish, making your own milk, cheese etc...you have no idea what you are putting into your body. End of the day all things considered:

Cost
    Ease of use
    Nutritional Profile
    Caloric intake
    Ingredients

and anything else I forget, my opinion is this:

Whey proteins are a great benefit when used as part of a stable and nutritious diet. Over reliance on them is no good, but as a supplement I'll say they are a great addition to someone's daily intake of nutrients. The only thing to do is make sure you are buying a quality whey.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    02_Haters_Gonna_Hate-s600x433-62658-580.jpg

LOL

note how I said put it down and back away until you can find out what that ingredient is and decide whether or not you want it in your body
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolates are filtered milk proteins. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Its protein-rich contents can be filtered to yield a concentrated or isolated whey protein.

Whey protein typically comes in three major forms: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolysate.

Whey Proteins are highly bioavailable, are very quickly absorbed into the body, and have a high concentration of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) [1] which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[2]

The difference between the Whey Protein forms is the process used to filter the proteins. Whey Isolates yield a higher percentage of pure protein and can be filtered enough to be virtually lactose free, carbohydrate free, fat free, and cholesterol free.

Unless I'm missing something whey protein is real food!

Karen

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

Rolling in the floor laughing my hiney off! Have you SEEN bmontgomery87? I think this kid knows what he's doing! =)
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    I buy ISO-Sensation 93 Natural. It's 93% pure protein with all natural ingredients and only 130 cals, no fat, 30mg sodium and 30g of protein per scoop.

And how does it taste? Is it the best protein you've ever tasted (compared with a steak, chicken breast, etc)? What's the cost?

Again, you & montgomery find me a sugar free protein powder that tastes just as good as filet mignon, and is reasonably priced, and we'll talk :)

Find me a fillet Mignon with the nutritional profile of a whey protein.

The proteins I have tried and have all tasted great are from Phd, Bodytronics and Reflex

Come to think of it, if you are taking protein shakes due to their taste, then you've got your priorities wrong... and based on that last sentence it seems I might have to buy some that tastes like sweaty pants lol!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    ^^thats fine.

But like dude said
    Cost
    Ease of use
    Nutritional Profile
    Caloric intake
    Ingredients

all of those are factors. Whey powder wins on cost/ease of use/nutritional profile/caloric intake for the most part. Ingredients might not always be there best.
    But my belief is that as long as hit your macros, you're fine. None of the "artificial" ingredients or anything in my protein seem to have hampered my goals. I've been taking more whey in the last 2 months than I ever have, and I'm also in the best shape of my life right now. I've seen more growth in the last few months than I had in the previous 6.
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As far as brands go, I've had a great deal of luck with Optimum Nutrition. They are often on sale at GNC. I like the rich double chocolate flavor. I actually use a scoop of banana cream with my whole oats oatmeal in the morning.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Have you SEEN bmontgomery87? I think this kid knows what he's doing! =)

Mick-McCarthy-Ian-Holllow-007.jpg
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

how is hemp protein better than whey for my body though?

*shrug* I dunno, I just think of the stuff in the canisters at Walmart when I see "whey protein" and "shake" together. That stuff is gross. I much rather eat food less processed than that.

Totally on bmontgomery87's side I mean LOOK AT HIM if you want to see that he knows what he's talkingn about.

and if you don't like protein powders from Walmart, it's understandable but there are HUNDREDS of oth protein powders out there. Generalizing ALL protein powders as processed foods is ridiculous.

I buy ISO-Sensation 93 Natural. It's 93% pure protein with all natural ingredients and only 130 cals, no fat, 30mg sodium and 30g of protein per scoop. You are just NOT going to be able to supplement like this with normal food without going WAY over on fat or sodium or somewhere else.

They are called SUPPLEMENTS because you take them with all the REAL FOOD you are already eating. Who's going to be eating 3 chicken breasts or a pound of beef on top of their regular daily food intake. If you do then more power to ya.

well spoke!

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options

It's flavorless so I add it to everything. I can add it to whole fruit shake I want, I can add it to my BCAA water and can add it anywhere. A lot more versitle than chicken and steak.

I don't think it NEEDS to taste like the best thing i've ever had, it NEEDS to supplement my calories and protein which it does. Plus, like 5nak3 mentioned, unless you're growing your own meat or paying extra for organic grass fed meat, you are STILL eating chemicals.

Comparing a protein powder to a filet or any other protein like slamon or duck is silly. They're all different. The stuff I use costs about $30 for 2 pounds and lasts me almost 2 months usually.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    apologies to the OP. meant to tell you this before but then i got distracted by the drama lama telling everyone what their business should be.

i'm not an expert on whey protein but the one i use i think tastes pretty good with strawberries, or bananas, or blueberries.
    the brand is Designer Whey-- i buy the double chocolate. mmmm (in case youre lookin for suggestions)
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    ^^exactly.

I spent 65 bucks on 10 pounds.
    Which will last me about 90 days or so.
    Even at 65 days, thats one dollar per day for another 44 grams of protein.

Yes I can do that with chicken, but after a lot of my workouts, I can't eat.
    If you squat till the point of almost passing out or puking, the last thing you want to do is go home and cook a big meal to eat.
    But i can manage to down a scoop of whey with some milk or oats.
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options

Find me a fillet Mignon with the nutritional profile of a whey protein.

The proteins I have tried and have all tasted great are from Phd, Bodytronics and Reflex

Come to think of it, if you are taking protein shakes due to their taste, then you've got your priorities wrong... and based on that last sentence it seems I might have to buy some that tastes like sweaty pants lol!
    EXACTLY DUDE! The nutrition is better and having it taste awesome is LOW on my list of priorities.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I just think that if I'm going to put it in my mouth it better taste good!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I just think that if I'm going to put it in my mouth it better taste good!

twss-app.jpg

but seriously if thats your strategy, good luck with your fitness goals.

I've accepted that I can't always eat something that tastes good. I'd much rather have a cheeseburger, fries, and a few beers, than eat my protein and oats every day. But I'd rather show some discipline and deal with food that doesn't taste as good.