Why you should not eat before bed

harlequin0318
harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
"The liver is most active in rebuilding the body during the night. Within the context of the daily circa­dian rhythm, we note that the liver has a biphasic rhythm, with the assimilatory phase beginning at 3 PM in the afternoon and reaching its maximum at 3 AM, where­upon the liver begins to enter its secretory phase for the next 12 hours. This is further confirmed in the Chinese medical system where the liver meridian is most active between 1 - 3 AM. That is one of the reasons why it is unhealthy to eat our main meal or very large meals, late at night, for this is the time when the liver wants to be active in healing us and cleansing the body of accumulated metabolites and toxins. Additionally, much of the food eaten late in the day is simply stored as fat and tends to predispose us to obesity."

This is a quote from an article I came across in order to write my paper. So what I dont understand is why people still think it is okay to eat before bed?

EDIT: Here's the link for the entire article http://www.anthromed.org/Article.aspx?artpk=531

And it is true that the liver has a biphasic rhythm, just like our body has a circadian rhythm which coincides with hormone release etc etc. So it just seems logical - and I want to know why it would not be logical so I can anticipate the opposing argument

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    BECAUSE YOU MIGHT GET CRUMBS IN THE BED.

Final answer!
  • harlequin0318
    Touche!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

Final answer!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    harlequin0318 I think I read something like that before and it sounds sensible. Do you think you could find and post the link before someone goes for your throat ? :)
  • Alluminati
    harlequin0318 I think I read something like that before and it sounds sensible. Do you think you could find and post the link before someone goes for your throat ? :)
    HI! LOOK WHO SHOWED UP!!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited November 2014
    So my liver doesn't work during the day? :huh:

Why are there people on here who have lost weight regardless of the time of day?

What about people who work nights, or are night owls?

Also can you find more than one source for this? Peer reviewed? Published in a credible medical journal?

ETA: Wrote the wrong damn organ. Sue me.

*goes off to drink some more* TAKE THAT LIVER!
  • harlequin0318
    I work nights too - so counting my calories when Ive been up for 20/24 hours of the day has really been confusing
  • harlequin0318

Yes let me see if I can find it!
  • PrizePopple
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    HI! LOOK WHO SHOWED UP!!

giphy.gif

*sporks face off*
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    I still eat in the evenings and real early morning hours. I eat right before bed. I still see weight loss. So what's the point? Nothing, I am guessing, but I do see the point behind the info given.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What if you eat liver though?
  • harlequin0318
    I still eat in the evenings and real early morning hours. I eat right before bed. I still see weight loss. So what's the point? Nothing, I am guessing, but I do see the point behind the info given.

As have I - plus I usually have my Casein shake right before bed which is basically a meal. But I guess we should point out that this isn't about weight loss, but about Fat loss.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

Why are there people on here who have lost weight regardless of the time of day?

Also can you find more than one source for this? Peer reviewed? Published in a credible medical journal?

is odesangel a "night owl"?
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What if you eat liver though?

Hey that's a valid point. I never thought about that until this was brought to my attention just now. Liver does have nutrients....Makes sense.
  • PrizePopple

As have I - plus I usually have my Casein shake right before bed which is basically a meal. But I guess we should point out that this isn't about weight loss, but about Fat loss.

So what might the 18 pounds I've lost consist of then?

I'm going to take a guess and say yes, since she's still awake right now.
  • Alluminati

and eating a twizzler

• PrizePopple

and eating a twizzler

Uh.. share?
  • Alluminati

and eating a twizzler

Uh.. share?
    >:) only if I can have some beer

• harlequin0318
    "The liver is most active in rebuilding the body during the night. Within the context of the daily circa­dian rhythm, we note that the liver has a biphasic rhythm, with the assimilatory phase beginning at 3 PM in the afternoon and reaching its maximum at 3 AM, where­upon the liver begins to enter its secretory phase for the next 12 hours. This is further confirmed in the Chinese medical system where the liver meridian is most active between 1 - 3 AM. That is one of the reasons why it is unhealthy to eat our main meal or very large meals, late at night, for this is the time when the liver wants to be active in healing us and cleansing the body of accumulated metabolites and toxins. Additionally, much of the food eaten late in the day is simply stored as fat and tends to predispose us to obesity."

This is a quote from an article I came across in order to write my paper. So what I dont understand is why people still think it is okay to eat before bed?

EDIT: Here's the link for the entire article http://www.anthromed.org/Article.aspx?artpk=531

And it is true that the liver has a biphasic rhythm, just like our body has a circadian rhythm which coincides with hormone release etc etc. So it just seems logical - and I want to know why it would not be logical so I can anticipate the opposing argument

bwahahaha...I work overnights now and I eat my dinner after midnight and will continue to do so.

Yea, but you don't sleep until after the end of shift - so your personal circadian rhythm doesn't match to the typical day shifters - neither does mine. I eat my dinner at 7 am then go to bed at 8.
  • PrizePopple

and eating a twizzler

Uh.. share?
    >:) only if I can have some beer

I'm out of beer. :cry: (I know, that's unheard of)