A question about muscle loss during deficit...

Options
Hi all...I'd like some help with a question I've been thinking about.

So, people always say that if you don't do resistance training while losing weight, you'd lose muscle while losing fat.

But, shouldn't our bodies try hard to preserve muscle because it's used to move around, therefore preferring to burn the fat instead?

This might be a dumb question, but I'm a little puzzled by it... :|

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can't answer the direct question - but if you are concerned about losing muscle then decrease your cardio and start lifting some weights :)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I can't answer the direct question - but if you are concerned about losing muscle then decrease your cardio and start lifting some weights :)

Not me just a thought. Me myself, I actually hate any form of lifting, resistance. I mean I really despise it. My preferred exercise is walking. I'm not looking to be sculpted or anything. Just looking to be a healthy bmi. And that's about it.

I was just curious about the science behind it and how it works.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    The body favours fat over muscle. It will preserve fat over muscle. As for the science, I am not the one to ask lol.

I mean, if the body preferred muscle, all of us who over-ate without lifting would be hulkalicious.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

Not me just a thought. Me myself, I actually hate any form of lifting, resistance. I mean I really despise it. My preferred exercise is walking. I'm not looking to be sculpted or anything. Just looking to be a healthy bmi. And that's about it.

I was just curious about the science behind it and how it works.

Yea I don't have the science either - someone out there does though!
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    The body favours fat over muscle. It will preserve fat over muscle. As for the science, I am not the one to ask lol.

I mean, if the body preferred muscle, all of us who over-ate without lifting would be hulkalicious.

LOL! "Hulkalicious" ...what an interesting word... :mrgreen:

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few factors like

A) if you're very obese and in a deficit your body will canabalize mostly fat for energy with muscle but not too much, but as your body fat percentage shrinks it starts to canabalizing more and more muscle because it has to take the energy from somewhere.

B) when you do resistance training your body has to actively mend its self, stitch its muscles back together. Everyday activities don't stress your muscles.
    When you do progressive lifting you're constantly stressing your muscles. That's why you have to lift heavier and heavier. Our bodies will ONLY use just enough energy needed in order to get the job, any job, done. It soon adapts.
    Anyway, when your constantly forcing it to use more energy, stress and mend THATS what alerts your body to not burn your muscles for fuel. It alerts your body that the muscles being stressed and mended are really important.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options

A) if you're very obese and in a deficit your body will canabalize mostly fat for energy with muscle but not too much, but as your body fat percentage shrinks it starts to canabalizing more and more muscle because it has to take the energy from somewhere.

B) when you do resistance training your body has to actively mend its self, stitch its muscles back together. Everyday activities don't stress your muscles.
    When you do progressive lifting you're constantly stressing your muscles. That's why you have to lift heavier and heavier. Our bodies will ONLY use just enough energy needed in order to get the job, any job, done. It soon adapts.
    Anyway, when your constantly forcing it to use more energy, stress and mend THATS what alerts your body to not burn your muscles for fuel. It alerts your body that the muscles being stressed and mended are really important.

❚█══█❚ Great answer.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

Mm. I still hate lifting and resistance though. ;) Why? Well just because I don't like how it makes me feel. I don't like the pain and the struggle. I don't get a high from it I get a low from it.

For me, I love walking. Now that truely gives me a high, just from the pure fact that I love doing it.

I always laugh at my sister, she has to work so hard to get calves to give her legs shape, and I just have them naturally. I don't even have to lift to have them. (I'm not saying that I got them by walking, I was actually born with them.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Besides at 5'2, 134lb and 26% bf I doubt I have much muscle to maintain anyway Lol.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Besides at 5'2, 134lb and 26% bf I doubt I have much muscle to maintain anyway Lol.
    ~100lbs. I'd work to maintain it.

But if lifting makes you feel pain and you struggle, you're just not doing it right. Proper warm ups, a solid routine, and using weights that allow proper form will ensure minimal problems. Stretching and warm ups can help reduce any pain as well.

Lifting is optional for loss, but ideal for maintaining LBM :)
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    At 26%, you have about 100 lbs non-fat tissues. It can't all be bone, organs, and fluids. People only think about losing muscle in places like arms and legs that are the usual subject of workouts, but you can lose muscle all over your body in places that are difficult or impossible to rebuild like the face, jaw, spine, pelvic muscles, etc.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

But if lifting makes you feel pain and you struggle, you're just not doing it right. Proper warm ups, a solid routine, and using weights that allow proper form will ensure minimal problems. Stretching and warm ups can help reduce any pain as well.

I'm not talking about DOMS...or improper form. Although those do play a role. But I mean, I don't like the struggle to lift something so heavy that I have to grunt to be able to do it.

It's not actual pain, but it's pain from struggling to actually do it physically.

Like if you have to increase load, that feeling your muscles get from pushing yourself so hard to actually lift it, the having to grit your teeth and close shut your eyes to make yourself do it, that's what I hate.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Muscle requires resources constantly. If your body doesn't use it, it may decide it doesn't need it.
    It may decide it doesn't need bone density, balance, injury prevention, and a whole host of other benefits that are rewarded by resistance exercise.

I agree with an earlier poster, your program may be too advanced to be appropriate for you. You didn't start walking all day, your first time was probably a gentle stroll.
  • ana3067
    Options

I'm not talking about DOMS...or improper form. Although those do play a role. But I mean, I don't like the struggle to lift something so heavy that I have to grunt to be able to do it.

It's not actual pain, but it's pain from struggling to actually do it physically.

Like if you have to increase load, that feeling your muscles get from pushing yourself so hard to actually lift it, the having to grit your teeth and close shut your eyes to make yourself do it, that's what I hate.

I lift as heavy as I can and honestly I don't grunt, or at least not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys do. IME, that kind of grunting relates to lifting TOO heavy, which means you're compromising form!

Your problems might stem from being too ambitious with the weights. I injured myself by ego lifting nad increasing weights too quickly for my upper body, and I definitely would struggle and grunt more than I do now for other heavy lifts.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

If you're lifting that heavy - to where you're grinding your teeth :# then maybe decrease the weight. Start small - bodyweight exercises
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

I lift as heavy as I can and honestly I don't grunt, or at least not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys do. IME, that kind of grunting relates to lifting TOO heavy, which means you're compromising form!

Your problems might stem from being too ambitious with the weights. I injured myself by ego lifting nad increasing weights too quickly for my upper body, and I definitely would struggle and grunt more than I do now for other heavy lifts.

My resistance though, is just some push ups, crunches and lunges (60 each, 3 times a day). And sometimes bicep curls with 2 10kg dumbbells. I can do it. I don't even have doms the next day depending on how much in do.

But you still don't understand what I mean. ;) you need to pay attention to the feeling you get in your arms when you lift for example. That feeling that builds up to failure...the feeling that your arms become weaker with each lift until you can't lift it anymore. That's what I don't like.

• ana3067
    Options

My resistance though, is just some push ups, crunches and lunges (60 each, 3 times a day). And sometimes bicep curls with 2 10kg dumbbells. I can do it. I don't even have doms the next day depending on how much in do.

But you still don't understand what I mean. ;) you need to pay attention to the feeling you get in your arms when you lift for example. That feeling that builds up to failure...the feeling that your arms become weaker with each lift until you can't lift it anymore. That's what I don't like.

You should not be lifting to failure. At least, it's not required. I do not lift to failure, because that leaves me prone to injury.

Lifting is again not necessary, but it doesn't need to be as excruciating as you're describing for sure. Lowering the weight and/or lifting until you feel like you could maybe get in another rep but no more, that's just fine.

Especially if you're eating at a deficit, higher rep ranges can make this experience you describe worse. I've dabbled with higher rep range a few times and felt a terrible burn even though I based it off of my 1RM. I stick to 4-5 rep range, no failure, no burn, etc.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    We don't have a gym here though (small town), and I can't afford weights other than the dumbbels. Which is why I do bw exercise. I guess I feel like if I don't do more reps, I'm not achieving anything because it's not as intense as actually lifting. Oh and the 60 reps, their total not 60*3. I actually mean I do 20 reps at a time. But there's quite a few hours difference between the sets as I do them when I have time. Not all at once.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    Some is better than none :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

basically OP does not want to lift..

if you do not like lifting then don't do it…try to find something you enjoy like cardio, or circuit training, et.c..

however, if you just do not like the "exertion" part then you are not going to like any of those…

when you run you have to push yourself to a point where you want to stop but you do not; when you circuit train you are going tone a sweaty mess and exhausted..etc, etc..

tough love time - it sounds like you are suffering from a case of the lazy's and need to get over it and commit yourself to a program and see it through to the end….