A question about muscle loss during deficit...

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hi all...I'd like some help with a question I've been thinking about.

So, people always say that if you don't do resistance training while losing weight, you'd lose muscle while losing fat.

But, shouldn't our bodies try hard to preserve muscle because it's used to move around, therefore preferring to burn the fat instead?

This might be a dumb question, but I'm a little puzzled by it... :|

When losing weight, you will always lose some mix of muscle and fat. There is not a way to make sure you lose all fat.

Our bodies DO prefer to keep muscle, that's why our fat levels are what is the most variable as we gain and lose weight. That's our method of calorie storage. Fat is more accessible and is the most efficient. But as we grow, we need more muscle overall to move. As we shrink we need less. Every movement is 'resistance exercise', including walking, unless you live on the moon.

Body weight resistance exercise is fine.
    http://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/resistance-training.pdf

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    When you do progressive lifting you're constantly stressing your muscles. That's why you have to lift heavier and heavier. Our bodies will ONLY use just enough energy needed in order to get the job, any job, done. It soon adapts.

Which I find hilarious considering I haven't been able to lift heavier for months, as I still can barely finish 8 reps with the weights I'm using. Which would mean it's impossible to preserve muscle at a deficit. I somehow doubt that.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Besides at 5'2, 134lb and 26% bf I doubt I have much muscle to maintain anyway Lol.
    ~100lbs. I'd work to maintain it.

But if lifting makes you feel pain and you struggle, you're just not doing it right. Proper warm ups, a solid routine, and using weights that allow proper form will ensure minimal problems. Stretching and warm ups can help reduce any pain as well.

Lifting is optional for loss, but ideal for maintaining LBM :)

I'm not talking about DOMS...or improper form. Although those do play a role. But I mean, I don't like the struggle to lift something so heavy that I have to grunt to be able to do it.

It's not actual pain, but it's pain from struggling to actually do it physically.

Like if you have to increase load, that feeling your muscles get from pushing yourself so hard to actually lift it, the having to grit your teeth and close shut your eyes to make yourself do it, that's what I hate.

I lift as heavy as I can and honestly I don't grunt, or at least not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys do. IME, that kind of grunting relates to lifting TOO heavy, which means you're compromising form!

Your problems might stem from being too ambitious with the weights. I injured myself by ego lifting nad increasing weights too quickly for my upper body, and I definitely would struggle and grunt more than I do now for other heavy lifts.

My resistance though, is just some push ups, crunches and lunges (60 each, 3 times a day). And sometimes bicep curls with 2 10kg dumbbells. I can do it. I don't even have doms the next day depending on how much in do.

But you still don't understand what I mean. ;) you need to pay attention to the feeling you get in your arms when you lift for example. That feeling that builds up to failure...the feeling that your arms become weaker with each lift until you can't lift it anymore. That's what I don't like.

basically OP does not want to lift..

if you do not like lifting then don't do it…try to find something you enjoy like cardio, or circuit training, et.c..

however, if you just do not like the "exertion" part then you are not going to like any of those…

when you run you have to push yourself to a point where you want to stop but you do not; when you circuit train you are going tone a sweaty mess and exhausted..etc, etc..

tough love time - it sounds like you are suffering from a case of the lazy's and need to get over it and commit yourself to a program and see it through to the end….

Yeah. Guess I should set a daily alarm to remind me to do my bw exercises. Lol meh. :/ its just like paying the bills.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Besides at 5'2, 134lb and 26% bf I doubt I have much muscle to maintain anyway Lol.

But if lifting makes you feel pain and you struggle, you're just not doing it right. Proper warm ups, a solid routine, and using weights that allow proper form will ensure minimal problems. Stretching and warm ups can help reduce any pain as well.

I'm not talking about DOMS...or improper form. Although those do play a role. But I mean, I don't like the struggle to lift something so heavy that I have to grunt to be able to do it.

It's not actual pain, but it's pain from struggling to actually do it physically.

Like if you have to increase load, that feeling your muscles get from pushing yourself so hard to actually lift it, the having to grit your teeth and close shut your eyes to make yourself do it, that's what I hate.

I lift as heavy as I can and honestly I don't grunt, or at least not in that obnoxious way a lot of guys do. IME, that kind of grunting relates to lifting TOO heavy, which means you're compromising form!

Your problems might stem from being too ambitious with the weights. I injured myself by ego lifting nad increasing weights too quickly for my upper body, and I definitely would struggle and grunt more than I do now for other heavy lifts.

My resistance though, is just some push ups, crunches and lunges (60 each, 3 times a day). And sometimes bicep curls with 2 10kg dumbbells. I can do it. I don't even have doms the next day depending on how much in do.

But you still don't understand what I mean. ;) you need to pay attention to the feeling you get in your arms when you lift for example. That feeling that builds up to failure...the feeling that your arms become weaker with each lift until you can't lift it anymore. That's what I don't like.

if you do not like lifting then don't do it…try to find something you enjoy like cardio, or circuit training, et.c..

however, if you just do not like the "exertion" part then you are not going to like any of those…

when you run you have to push yourself to a point where you want to stop but you do not; when you circuit train you are going tone a sweaty mess and exhausted..etc, etc..

tough love time - it sounds like you are suffering from a case of the lazy's and need to get over it and commit yourself to a program and see it through to the end….

Yeah. Guess I should set a daily alarm to remind me to do my bw exercises. Lol meh. :/ its just like paying the bills.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen tough love received gracefully! It's his abs, isn't it?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen tough love received gracefully! It's his abs, isn't it?

Nah, I have a good sense of humor and I don't take life too seriously. :smiley:

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    but you can lose muscle all over your body in places that are difficult or impossible to rebuild like the face, jaw, spine, pelvic muscles, etc.

I wouldn't lose from my jaw...I eat too much so I work it daily :yum:

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    When you do progressive lifting you're constantly stressing your muscles. That's why you have to lift heavier and heavier. Our bodies will ONLY use just enough energy needed in order to get the job, any job, done. It soon adapts.

Which I find hilarious considering I haven't been able to lift heavier for months, as I still can barely finish 8 reps with the weights I'm using. Which would mean it's impossible to preserve muscle at a deficit. I somehow doubt that.

Actually you've kinda grabbed the wrong end of the stick here. The fact that you're still struggling means that your muscles are still needing to work hard with those weights which is the whole point. Not everyone progresses at the same rate. If you're still struggling to do 8 reps with proper form then your muscles are still stressing. If they are still being stressed then they signal that they are being used and needed.

The post I was making about needing to lift progressively heavier is that most people need to up their weights much faster than months. Right now I need heavier weights roughly every 2-3 weeks lifting 3-4 times per week.

When you lift on the 5x5 program I believe youre supposed to add 5lbs more every single work out.

The point of lifting progressively heavier is to make sure you continually stress your muscles once they ADAPT to the weight. You're muscles obviously havnt adapted yet. You'll know that they've adapted when you know longer struggle.

• mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Unless you are severely undercutting calories for a long period of time (months on end below 1200) you will not loose any noticable muscle. Sure you loose some but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are an athlete or a body builder (which I suppose we are not since we are posting here).

This whole muscle loss craze is exaggerated by supplement companies who try to shove insane amounts of protein down your throat at the expense of your wallet. The issue exists but not at the scale they want you to believe, YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ANY SIZABLE MUSCLE IF YOU EAT RIGHT.

If you dont like lifting ? Dont frelling lift. Dont go to insane deficits and eat lean meat . Every 3 months go on a 2 week break where you eat normally at maintenance level. You will be fine.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    mcspiffy88 wrote: »
    Unless you are severely undercutting calories for a long period of time (months on end below 1200) you will not loose any noticable muscle. Sure you loose some but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are an athlete or a body builder (which I suppose we are not since we are posting here).

This whole muscle loss craze is exaggerated by supplement companies who try to shove insane amounts of protein down your throat at the expense of your wallet. The issue exists but not at the scale they want you to believe, YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ANY SIZABLE MUSCLE IF YOU EAT RIGHT.

If you dont like lifting ? Dont frelling lift. Dont go to insane deficits and eat lean meat . Every 3 months go on a 2 week break where you eat normally at maintenance level. You will be fine.

My deficit is 250 calories a day and first priority macro wise is to always hit protein. I'll still do the bodyweight exercises though. Even if I don't like it.
  • Francl27
    Options

Nope.

• mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Thanks for your very well informed, thought out and expressed input.
  • Francl27
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Nope.

Thanks for your very well informed, thought out and expressed input.

It was easier for her to write nope than to break down the level of wrong with the post.

Yup.

Honestly I hate lifting, I've just been sucking it up 20 minutes 3x a week because I know it's good for me, but frankly I'd rather do laundry or dishes, lol!