Herbalife weight loss

So i have been on Herbalife for the last 2 weeks losing 17lbs in total 8 in one week and 9 on my second week which is great, but i cant help feeling that it cant be right, for one dont exercise at all and i have not followed the Herbalife method correctly, i am taking in less calories and all that but it just seems a lot.

Could the scales be wrong or could my coach be lying to get me to buy more products?

Has anyone here been a similar situation?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Temporary solutions yield temporary results.

Herbalife or not, you're eating at a deficit and losing weight. You could do the same thing on a diet of cake and Cheetos. You are your coach's piggy bank, so of course they're going to tell you great things.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Eat less calories than you burn = weightloss
    when you first start out you will notice a bigger loss due to mostly water weight.
    Drop the herbalife *kitten*, get rid of the "coach" it's a scam and an overly priced one.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Your first few weeks of weight loss is primarily water weight. Regardless of if you were just eating less or using Herbalife, you would lose water weight.

IMO, herbalife is a waste of money. You can get the same results by weighing/measuring all of your food and logging it in MFP. Just eat to the calorie goal MFP (plus about half of your exercise calories if you earn any) and save your money. Herbalife is great at making your wallet lose volume, but it isn't a sustainable way of life. And once you stop herbalife, what then?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Your first few weeks of weight loss is primarily water weight. Regardless of if you were just eating less or using Herbalife, you would lose water weight.

IMO, herbalife is a waste of money. You can get the same results by weighing/measuring all of your food and logging it in MFP. Just eat to the calorie goal MFP (plus about half of your exercise calories if you earn any) and save your money. Herbalife is great at making your wallet lose volume, but it isn't a sustainable way of life. And once you stop herbalife, what then?

^this
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    I have used this product before and it did give me results. But I don't recommend it to anyone. Losing weight is a lifestyle change. Unless you plan on drinking that stuff for the rest of your life then go for it but I think regular exercise and a healthy diet is the way to go.
  • Thanks guys i might finish the kit this month and just go on my own with some advice from this website, it will save me £120 per month.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    My friend was a herbalife coach for a while and she said it was terrible. People see great results quickly, but they soon start feeling the effects of having very little food and when going off herbalife they put the weight back on and sometimes more. Be careful!
  • liondm
    liondm Posts: 4 Member
    Avoid herbalife! Please!
    I'm a nurse, I know a patient that went into complete liver failure from the supplement. She needed a liver transplant. She almost died. Then that liver failed and she needed another one. Again, barely made it out alive. I guess it helped her lose weight--I think all the sickness got her down to about 90lbs!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'd like to know a little more about why Herbalife is thought to be a scam. There is a distributer in my neighborhood that also offers free workouts and make most of their money by selling the shakes they make in the store, and the ingredients on the labels aren't terrible. It covers my current shortage of iron (which I should probably get checked out) and keeps me full. It also tastes freaking delicious. I have already been tracking my exercise and food intake here, I've lost 30lbs before discovering this place and I think the free classes are cool. However, I'm afriad that soon I may be obligated to buy something, though I am already addicted to the shakes and try and buy them when they are discounted (or like this morning, I was the only one to respond to the promo on FB and show up to do the workout, so one of the people distributing it paid for my shake!) as they sell them at 7 bucks a pop. I know I could make my own at home. Do all protein/weightloss powders have this bad rap? Or just Herbalife? I don't see anything sneaky in it, I know that it's a MLM thing, but it is a real product and I don't see anything wrong.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    import6969 wrote: »
    Thanks guys i might finish the kit this month and just go on my own with some advice from this website, it will save me £120 per month.

120 a month??? Holy jeebus cheezeballs!! That's extortion!! People actually convince people they need to spend that much? I had no respect for Herbalife before, but now I'm gobsmacked...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If one googles herbalife MLM you'll get all the info you need...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    I'd like to know a little more about why Herbalife is thought to be a scam. There is a distributer in my neighborhood that also offers free workouts and make most of their money by selling the shakes they make in the store, and the ingredients on the labels aren't terrible. It covers my current shortage of iron (which I should probably get checked out) and keeps me full. It also tastes freaking delicious. I have already been tracking my exercise and food intake here, I've lost 30lbs before discovering this place and I think the free classes are cool. However, I'm afriad that soon I may be obligated to buy something, though I am already addicted to the shakes and try and buy them when they are discounted (or like this morning, I was the only one to respond to the promo on FB and show up to do the workout, so one of the people distributing it paid for my shake!) as they sell them at 7 bucks a pop. I know I could make my own at home. Do all protein/weightloss powders have this bad rap? Or just Herbalife? I don't see anything sneaky in it, I know that it's a MLM thing, but it is a real product and I don't see anything wrong.
    Practically all MLM products are made by a 3rd party manufacturer with a "proprietary blend". These blends don't actual dosage amounts, so just "mentioning" that an ingredient in a product for many is enough for them to believe it's in the right dosage for it to be effective.
    3rd party manufacturers will also use lower quality raw product. Much of it from China where there is no regulation.
    So what are you paying the 7 bucks for? Well about $2 or so for it goes to manufacturing, and the other $5 gets divided up amongst the other "upline" who had nothing to do with you buying it.
    Wouldn't it better to save that $5 towards making your own?
    Incidently, no shake works without calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    adowe wrote: »
    Eat less calories than you burn = weightloss
    when you first start out you will notice a bigger loss due to mostly water weight.
    Drop the herbalife *kitten*, get rid of the "coach" it's a scam and an overly priced one.
    ^^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)

• ogmomma2012
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Practically all MLM products are made by a 3rd party manufacturer with a "proprietary blend". These blends don't actual dosage amounts, so just "mentioning" that an ingredient in a product for many is enough for them to believe it's in the right dosage for it to be effective.
    3rd party manufacturers will also use lower quality raw product. Much of it from China where there is no regulation.
    So what are you paying the 7 bucks for? Well about $2 or so for it goes to manufacturing, and the other $5 gets divided up amongst the other "upline" who had nothing to do with you buying it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I know the shake wouldn't work without a calorie deficiet. I guess my question is, though these people are really nice, their place is small but open and comfortable, I am aware that they are there to sell something and they make no bones about it. If there is a kind of protein powder/meal replacement powder that is recommended by professionals, and not as expensive but still has the range of flavors. I'm game. Honestly, the lady who owns the place is super nice and I'd still like to support her efforts of trying to be her own boss. I think my only concern is that there are no qualifications needed upfront to be a "Trainer" and I haven't asked them about that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I know the shake wouldn't work without a calorie deficiet. I guess my question is, though these people are really nice, their place is small but open and comfortable, I am aware that they are there to sell something and they make no bones about it. If there is a kind of protein powder/meal replacement powder that is recommended by professionals, and not as expensive but still has the range of flavors. I'm game. Honestly, the lady who owns the place is super nice and I'd still like to support her efforts of trying to be her own boss. I think my only concern is that there are no qualifications needed upfront to be a "Trainer" and I haven't asked them about that.
    Unfortunately your patronage isn't going to benefit her much. The majority of the money made on you goes to the upline. The seller makes pennies. That's why their whole position is to recruit others under them to make money. Without recruiting, their income isn't much at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ogmomma2012

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unfortunately your patronage isn't going to benefit her much. The majority of the money made on you goes to the upline. The seller makes pennies. That's why their whole position is to recruit others under them to make money. Without recruiting, their income isn't much at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I do understand now... but now I feel stuck... almost like I've obligated myself. She and her husband I guess are also nutrition coaches? DNA Mind-Body & Nutrition whatever is the name of the store, I did Google it and though it felt lacking it didn't seem shady. I figure I am over 100lbs over weight and could use all the help I can get, and so far all of the help has been free, they said they make their money primarily from meal planning and that meal plans do not have to include Herbalife. Would you have any suggestions for backing out when I'm eventually asked to purchase something? I have given my email and phone number, even friended her personally on FB. I don't want to seem like a mooch, taking all the free things and not wanting to really "commit".

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    You're too nice. Just tell them you have decided that it isn't for you.
  • ogmomma2012

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I do understand now... but now I feel stuck... almost like I've obligated myself. She and her husband I guess are also nutrition coaches? DNA Mind-Body & Nutrition whatever is the name of the store, I did Google it and though it felt lacking it didn't seem shady. I figure I am over 100lbs over weight and could use all the help I can get, and so far all of the help has been free, they said they make their money primarily from meal planning and that meal plans do not have to include Herbalife. Would you have any suggestions for backing out when I'm eventually asked to purchase something? I have given my email and phone number, even friended her personally on FB. I don't want to seem like a mooch, taking all the free things and not wanting to really "commit".

You can do this without Herbalife. You've come to the right place and there are loads of people that can help you on this journey.

I know this is starting to sound like a bunch of excuses, but I really do like getting out and being around other people... and my 2yr old gets to come too. My first 30lbs have been pretty lonely, I do have a little more support than when I started, I don't know... I like the idea of a personal coach... blah. Yes, I'm too nice, but I guess it's also so that I feel like I'm involved in the real world instead of doing everything solo...