Options
124»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    boatsie77 wrote: »
    YAY! With so many successful MFPers this new area is definitely needed. How about posting a before & after photo along with:

Start & goal reached date
    Best strategy for removing weight
    Current strategy for maintaining the weight

Just a suggestion...any inputs?

188-147
    May 2012-Jan 2013 for goal weight. Have lost another 7 pounds since then.
    Logging everything. Carbs under 40%.
    Logging everything. Carbs under 40%. Hitting 10K steps - or as close as I can every day.

I love to eat and love to cook and I don't limit myself that way in any way. But being careful of what eat had made me much fussier about what I eat. I want it to taste GOOD. Why waste your time on crap food? I also find I feel great eating a little and kind of blooky if I eat too much. I've learned to eat WELL.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Age 41

Start Weight: 22st 13lb - 321lb - 145.6kg
    Current Weight 11st 3lb - 157lb - 71.2kg

Start Date: 15th November 2014
    Maintenance Date: 3rd November 2014

Best Strategy for losing weight:
    (1) Do it for you not anybody else
    (2) Learn portion control
    (3) Don't deny yourself the foods you love
    (4) Don't turn a bad day into a bad week
    (5) Diets don't work - lifestyle changes do
    (6) It's not all about calories in verses calories out
    (7) Everybody's body is different, what works for others might not work for you - you need to find your own weight loss strategies
    (8) Remember weight fluctuates naturally, for varying reasons, especially the female body
    (9) It's not a race, you'll get there as long as you just keep trying
    (10) I don't cheat, because I'm not taking an exam - I eat because my body needs fuel and would not work if I did not feed it

Best strategy for maintaining weight:
    I'm working on that, so I don't really have any tried and tested strategies yet - but I've upped my calorific intake, reduced my cardio exercises and increased my strength training exercises, so we'll see how it goes.

My actual goal weight is 10st 13lb - 153lb - 69.4kg, but I don't seem to be getting any closer to it, so I'm going to try maintaining whilst strength building and see what happens. I have started increasing my protein intake and controlling my carbohydrate intake and I am feeling fuller for longer, so I'm confident my current game plan is likely to work for me.

I class myself as being Maintenance Work In Progress....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    boatsie77 wrote: »
    YAY! With so many successful MFPers this new area is definitely needed. How about posting a before & after photo along with:

Start Weight: 196 Goal Weight: 156 (153 current)
    Start: June 01, 2014
    Reached first goal (160): Sept 19, 2014 (decided this wasn't where I needed to be)
    Reached final goal (156): Sept 30, 2014
    Best strategy was to get active and eat healthy and aim for about 2000-2200 cals per day intake.
    Current stratedy is to concentrate on fitness goals and 2400-2600 cals per day intake. Will adjust based on daily and weekly weight, activity and eating.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Age 27
    Before & after weight 183,118 now
    Start & goal reached date august 2013 was my start date, finished in july of 2014
    Best strategy for removing weightpre logging my day, planning snacks and desserts
    Current strategy for maintaining the weightsame as my stratgies for removing excess weight, only with more calories now

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    38, male, 6'4"

Started at 211 pounds, January 2012.
    Ended at 177 pounds, September 2014.
    Goal range: 179-183

My strategy for losing: I set MFP to "lose 1 pound per week" to start with, and adjusted my macros to 45c/30f/25p. I kept my calories at that level until I got to 10 pounds of my goal weight, when I slowly began increasing. I did moderate exercise: some running/walking and some weight lifting.
    Some tips I learned along the way:
    • I didn't sweat it when I had a bad day or I went way over my daily goal; I just chalked it up to experience, and went back at it the next day.
    • I didn't get upset when the scale didn't move the way I thought it would. Inevitably, it moved when I didn't expect it to, and I still reached my goal.
    • I didn't start out my eliminating any foods (or classes of foods), but I figured out over time that I could spend my calories on eating junk or spend them on foods that were more nourishing and filling. Those individual realizations added up over the course of several months into a real dietary/lifestyle change.

Strategy for maintaining: I actually hit my goal weight the first time in May of 2013, but I didn't work at maintaining, so I ended up gaining some of the weight back. So my current maintenance strategy is to figure out how much I need to eat to maintain (it's roughly 2400 cal/day, but that might be a little high or low), keep logging my calories, and learn how to eat to maintain.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    30, Female, 1.60m (5'3")

Started at 68kg ( 150lb) in march 2011
    Ended at 58 kg (127lb) in 2013, but had really low maintenance calories so did a metabolic reset, gained some weight back now im between 56 kg (123lb) en 57 kg (125lb) since may 2014

Strategy for loosing:
    - exercise more, eat less
    - went gluten free (found out i am intolerant to gluten)
    - walk more during the day
    - only eat my calories, dont drink any (i would rather have some chocolate than a can of soda or wine)

Stragegy for maintaining
    - keep exercising
    - watch wat i eat (i still cant stop counting calories because i will eat all the sugar i can find and thus gain weight back, im learning still)
    - not denying myself anything, everything in moderation tho
    - not drinking any calories

Things i still want to learn
    - up my fruit and veggie intake
    - eat less sugar (find more healthy snacks)
    -
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Started at 205 1/2/2014
    Goal of 140 reached: 8/30/2014

Method:
    Ketogenic - Very Low Carb, High Fat, Adequate Protein

Strategy for maintaining:
    Stay on plan (low carb), just eat more.

zmq9yqvkypae.png
    svrj6iue3xau.png
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Starting weight: 254

Goal weight: 140 (137.5-142.5 maintenance range)

Start Date: April 2011

Goal Reached: August 2014

Best strategy for removing weight: Calorie counting and regular exercise, being consistent but not expecting myself to be perfect.

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Doing the same thing that I've been doing, plus setting new athletic goals.

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Age 56
    Before & after weight 174 / 128
    Start & goal reached date December 2012 / Spring 2013
    Best strategy for removing weight Logging calories, wear a device to count steps
    Current strategy for maintaining the weight logging calories, wear a device to count steps, yoga and Barre3, and set new fitness goals. (mine it to make it through an hour long adult ballet barre class)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2.5"
    SW: 192 lb
    GW: 120-125 lb
    Start date: Jan 22, 2014
    Goal reached: Oct 2014

Best strategy for removing weight: Progressively changing habits/lifestyle, counting calories, focusing on macros that work for you (not just focusing on calories), taking emotion out of the equation, weighing daily (then logging and forgetting), moderation, moderation, moderation (especially when eating out on vacation or business travel)

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Log weight daily, log food at home, minimum 10k steps, strength training 3x per week, progress to running for min 30 mins per day. Fitness goals include running a 5K July 2015, and (this is a real stretch target) do unassisted chins up and dips.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Oh Fun!

Before & After Weight: 131 lbs / 94 lbs
    Start & Goal Reached Date: 8/10/2013
    Best Strategy for Removing Weight: Develop new habits that will become seamless part of my new life
    Current Strategy for Maintaining the Weight: Follow 90/10 Rule & allow the new habits take over

Just a suggestion...any inputs? No matter the method be consistent.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    SW: 268 started Jan 2013
    CW: 144 reached March 2014

Strategy for losing: I wanted to do it in a way that was maintainable for me for the long haul. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted as long as it feel within my calories. I had a cheat day once a month. Decided to be casual about it, if I messed up, I wouldnt feel guilty or beat myself up, I would just carry on. Exercise was mostly the treadmill, hiking or swimming. I also have a fitbit.
    Strategy for maintanance: pretty much the same except i get to eat more lol. I started by upping my calories a little every week for several weeks. I found I tend to eat more on the weekends, so I eat less on the weekdays. I guess I look more at the over all week, than the daily calories. I"ve also started lifting for exercise.
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Age 50

Before: 330 lbs – June, 2014
    After: 224 lbs – Nov, 2014. BMI 17.8% (by exercise physiologist using caliper)

How: Lost weight through a medically managed program using Optifast, now transitioned to full food. Was a type II diabetic on insulin and other meds, now totally med free. Program included doc visits, blood tests, weekly group meetings, and meetings with a nutritionist and exercise physiologist with long term focus on changing eating and exercise habits to reach and maintain weight and health targets. Now entering a one year "masters" portion of the program which includes continued weekly group meeting and medical support as needed.

Best strategy for removing weight: Find a program/plan/lifestyle change that works for you! Be positive, be patient, get support, keep moving, stay focused on goals, and drink lots of water!

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Working on finding my TDEE, weighing, measuring, logging everything (as long as I need to). Started to weigh myself every morning with target window of 220 – 225 labs. Trying to stick close to my macros (30% Carb, 35% Fat and 35% Protein) which I may tweak some. Right now I’m at 1,900 – 2,000 calories and exercising 4-5 times per week (walking 2-3 miles, medium intensity lifting) and still losing slowly. Religious about my FitBit and at least 10-12K steps daily!

I’m not an overly active writer so far on MFP but wouldn’t mind some additional friends. I already know it helps to part of a group with people going through similar experiences!
  • Ynnovator
    Ynnovator Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

Before & after weight:
    SW: 225
    GW: 190
    CW: 170

I started June 9, 2014 and I hit 190 on Oct. 1, 2014. It was so easy that I continued to lose and decided to go for the 6 pack abs and started mixing in a little cardio. I hit 170 today and plan to stop now. Flat stomach and feeling great. I had to buy a new belt and now I'm probably in need of a new wardrobe.

I logged everything I ate into MFP app on my phone. I tried to make sure I stayed in a caloric deficit and tried to stay as close as I could to my 1200 calorie per day limit between M-F. On Saturday and Sunday I would regularly treat myself to 2200 calories as a reward. Whatever I burned exercising, I'd eat a little more since I earned it. I didn't deprive myself of candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, cinnamon rolls, etc. I just saved those things for the weekend and tracked it to make sure I didn't go too far over 2200. A little self control went a long way. Treats are fine in moderation. To keep my calories low during the week, I ate healthy breakfast and lunches. No fast foods. I replaced all of my snacks at work with fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. This allowed me to often eat whatever I wanted for dinner, in moderation of course. For example I'd eat pizza, but I wouldn't eat 5 slices of pizza. I'd eat 2 or 3 and supplement that with vegetables to make sure I was full. Still had the yummy pizza, just not as much as before and still felt full afterwards. I like late night snacks too, so I'd eat things like popcorn, grapes, or an apple.

I'm just starting, but I'm looking forward to it! lol...I plan to continue to monitor my calories with the app and stay around 2000 daily. Whatever I burn doing cardio, I'll allow myself to eat or drink over the course of the week. It is very easy to pile up calories over the weekend I've discovered.

Don't completely deprive yourself of the things you like to eat. I've been eating terrible things this whole time and I still lost 55 pounds in 5 months. There wasn't a week that went by that I didn't eat something like candy, cake, ice cream or fast food. Tracking the calories helped me make good decisions in order to supplement the bad ones. For example if I know I'm going to eat something bad for dinner I can make sure my breakfast and lunch are very healthy and filling, but low in calories. That is how I did it. Seems like a lost a lot of weight very fast, but I look good and I've never felt better.