Calories in Hamburger Helper Cheesy Enchilada?

Options
How many calories are in a box of Hamburger Helper Cheesy Enchilada not counting the meat. Are there really 1,450 calories in one box?! That is insanely a lot.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Serving Size 1/2 cup as pkgd (36g)
    Amount Per Serving As Packaged
    Calories 130

There's 212g in a box (from the website). Essentially there should be, by serving size, 5.5 servings per box.
    Roughly 715 calories for the box. I am not sure if it means prepared or not, and that doesn't include meat.

It's synthetic food. It's not going to be healthy. 2640mg of sodium for the box.

Ingredients:
    Enriched White Rice (rice, iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid), Maltodextrin, Corn Starch, Salt, Sugar, Modified Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Whey, Chili Pepper, Paprika, Ricotta Cheese* (whey, milkfat, lactic acid, salt), Corn Syrup*, Monosodium Glutamate, Red Bell Peppers*, Modified Corn Starch, Tomato*, Citric Acid, Spice, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Silicon Dioxide (anticaking agent), Color (yellow lakes 5 & 6, yellows 5 & 6), Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Monoglycerides, Garlic*, Yeast Extract, Blue Cheese* (milk, salt, cheese cultures, enzymes), Malic Acid, Enzyme Modified Blue Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Sodium Phosphate.*Dried

Want cheesy enchiladas? Make them yourself.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much :)!! When I googled the calories in it, it said the whole box was 1,450 calories which I thought wasn't right. If it's only 715 calories for the whole box, then that's not bad at all :)!! I know that hamburger helper isn't healthy at all and it's full of chemicals. But the thing is, I haven't had hamburger helper in over a year. When I was in America, it was one of my favorite meals. Since moving to the Netherlands, I haven't had it at all and they don't have it over here. I really have missed and craved it. So when my sister in law and her fiance went to America for vacation, they brought me back lots of American goodies including Hamburger helper. :D I thought it would be nice to have it for a meal like dinner every once in a while since I got a few boxes :) That's why I really wanted to know about the calories.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    Calories 130

There's 212g in a box (from the website). Essentially there should be, by serving size, 5.5 servings per box.
    Roughly 715 calories for the box.
    Since the nutrition information is shown "as packaged" that means it does not include the nutrition information for the milk or ground beef added per the directions.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Calories 130

Roughly 715 calories for the box. I am not sure if it means prepared or not, and that doesn't include meat.

It's synthetic food. It's not going to be healthy. 2640mg of sodium for the box.

Ingredients:
    Enriched White Rice (rice, iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid), Maltodextrin, Corn Starch, Salt, Sugar, Modified Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Whey, Chili Pepper, Paprika, Ricotta Cheese* (whey, milkfat, lactic acid, salt), Corn Syrup*, Monosodium Glutamate, Red Bell Peppers*, Modified Corn Starch, Tomato*, Citric Acid, Spice, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Silicon Dioxide (anticaking agent), Color (yellow lakes 5 & 6, yellows 5 & 6), Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Monoglycerides, Garlic*, Yeast Extract, Blue Cheese* (milk, salt, cheese cultures, enzymes), Malic Acid, Enzyme Modified Blue Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Sodium Phosphate.*Dried

WTF is synthetic food. And how is pasta not healthy?

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the box tell you the calories?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Thank you so much :)!! When I googled the calories in it, it said the whole box was 1,450 calories which I thought wasn't right. If it's only 715 calories for the whole box, then that's not bad at all :)!! I know that hamburger helper isn't healthy at all and it's full of chemicals. But the thing is, I haven't had hamburger helper in over a year. When I was in America, it was one of my favorite meals. Since moving to the Netherlands, I haven't had it at all and they don't have it over here. I really have missed and craved it. So when my sister in law and her fiance went to America for vacation, they brought me back lots of American goodies including Hamburger helper. :D I thought it would be nice to have it for a meal like dinner every once in a while since I got a few boxes :) That's why I really wanted to know about the calories.
    I love Hamburger Helper every once in awhile. It's easy and I usually throw in some veggies (canned diced tomatoes, frozen corn nibblets, etc.) to lighten it up a little. When a box says "as packaged" that means it's the calories for what's in the box before you add anything else. The ground beef and milk (as well as anything else you use) will add more calories, of course. Enjoy!
  • jenniator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you guys :) I wanted to know the calories without the milk or hamburger. I know it doesn't include the calories for those things. I never add hamburger to mine, so that's why I was wondering how much it is without. I also can't check the calories on the package since they took it out of the package to save space in their luggage. :P
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just read the box.
  • jenniator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I already said I don't have the box. They took it out of the box to save space.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with the earlier post, it's much more healthy when you make it yourself. Boxed meals like hamburger helper are full of preservatives to increase shelf life. Also it not only has sugar but corn syrup as well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I already said I don't have the box. They took it out of the box to save space.
    Right. Imagine, that there are no other boxes in the world. No pictures of boxes. No websites to look up the nutritional data that's right on the box.

From here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/betty-crocker-hamburger-helper-cheesy-enchilada-prepared-with-hamburger-and-milk-152932461

From here:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamburger-Helper-Cheesy-Enchilada/10311338

The data on the second link is nutritional information for what is in the box.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Calories 130

Ingredients:

Want some free judgment?
  • jenniator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You don't need to be rude about it. I already said in my first post that I tried looking it up and it said it was 1,450 calories without meat or milk which I thought didn't seem right. That's why I decided to ask other people in case they knew. Also thank you for the links.
  • jenniator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did that and several sites said it was above 1,000 calories. Seriously I'm not a idiot, don't you think I did that in the first place?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I did that and several sites said it was above 1,000 calories. Seriously I'm not a idiot, don't you think I did that in the first place?
    No, I don't think you did. That's why I said it. It took a single google search to find the info you were looking for. I figured, oh it couldn't be that hard to find.

>_<
  • jenniator
    Options
    Believe it or not, I actually did. It's not very nice of you to accuse someone without any proof. I actually did search for the calorie content and I wasn't able to find it since every site was giving me mixed results. I mean why would I say one site gave me 1,450 calories if I didn't search?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    LOL apparently I ruffled some feathers enough to be flagged as abuse. I gave a crap-load of information, answered the OP's questions, and suggested she make her own. I didn't judge (as implied), wasn't rude.. but can't please them all I guess!

To the one asking, I consider things created in a factory with an ingredient list longer than my arm to be synthetic food. -- and it's not pasta, it's rice ;);)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Believe it or not, I actually did. It's not very nice of you to accuse someone without any proof. I actually did search for the calorie content and I wasn't able to find it since every site was giving me mixed results. I mean why would I say one site gave me 1,450 calories if I didn't search?

Use this google search:
    general mills nutrition information hamburger helper cheesy enchilada

Manufacturers put this information on their site.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    LOL apparently I ruffled some feathers enough to be flagged as abuse. I gave a crap-load of information, answered the OP's questions, and suggested she make her own. I didn't judge (as implied), wasn't rude.. but can't please them all I guess!

To the one asking, I consider things created in a factory with an ingredient list longer than my arm to be synthetic food. -- and it's not pasta, it's rice ;);)

Open your diary dear and lemme have a look around :)

• dbmata
    Options

Open your diary dear and lemme have a look around :)
    There's a thread on that! lol.