Really worried about thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Move to Canada. Thanksgiving already happened, so you'll have missed it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have severe food allergies so I can't eat what other people bring to thanksgiving. What I do is I make my own prepackaged meal and just tell people no thanks, I brought my own when asked if I'd like something.

Here is your out.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I get the anxiety, but really... it's one day. My brother eats Paleo, too, but he joins in at family meals and just picks and chooses the things he wants to eat. No one makes a big deal about it. If you don't really like turkey, take a small piece, no gravy. Then eat plenty of the side you're bringing and anything else on the table that fits your normal diet. If you aren't comfortable explaining your diet to your family, if anyone asks, just tell them jokingly that "you're watching your girlish figure". Really, if your plate looks full of food I can't imagine that anyone is going to be watching exactly what's on there.

This. If folks - even family - are openly judging the contents of your plate on Thanksgiving, politely tell them to mind their beeswax.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I keep getting off topic. Right, you do have food allergies so don't stress. You literally can't eat everything they eat...cause allergies. Bring what you want.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have severe food allergies so I can't eat what other people bring to thanksgiving. What I do is I make my own prepackaged meal and just tell people no thanks, I brought my own when asked if I'd like something.

Here is your out.
    That wasn't the OP. Are you saying she should lie and tell her family she has severe food allergies? Seems easier to just tell them you're eating paleo. ;)

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Lie and say you're getting over a stomach bug.

Yes, because lying to friends and family is how one really wants to spend the rest of their life.

OP - just eat turkey, salad and sweet potatoes. Or give yourself a break for the day. It won't hurt your progress.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Here is your out.
    That wasn't the OP. Are you saying she should lie and tell her family she has severe food allergies? Seems easier to just tell them you're eating paleo. ;)

DERP. That's what I get for not drinking coffee on Monday morning. Disregard my food allergy comment.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, don't even worry about it.

Me personally, Thanksgiving is going to be an off day. The only way one day can hurt your progress is if you let it turn into several days.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Its one meal for a holiday that is only once a year. Instead of letting your anxiety take over, just eat what you want. One day will not mess up what you already have going on, unless you allow it to after that. Enjoy the day and go back to paleo the next day.

If that is something that you just will not do, then just stop thinking about it until the day comes and the food is laid out on the table. At that time you just eat what you can.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Don't worry about it.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It's one meal and no one probably pays much attention to what you eat, unless you yourself make a big deal of it.

You can't have any gravy while eating paleo because... the little bit of flour in it? That seems unnecessarily restrictive.

That's paleo...

But O.P.'s goals are O.P.'s goals.

Will there be ham? (assuming you like ham) otherwise like some have said, bring your own food.

• cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We're Jewish so no ham, but thanks for the other ideas...
  • m_o_
    m_o_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to tell them before hand that you are trying to eat differently to help your health. I was put on a low-carb diet by a doctor and although everyone had an opinion about it, the easiest out was to tell them the truth: my stomach doesn't like that food and I don't want to feel sick later.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Bring some of your own recipes and help contribute to the abundance. I've never been to a Thanksgiving meal that didn't offer a great deal of variety and abundance, especially in the veggie department. Nobody is looking at anybody else's plate. You can stick to your choices and still participate in eating a meal. Nobody will shame you for passing on gravy, so long as you do eat something.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Lie and say you're getting over a stomach bug.

Yes, because lying to friends and family is how one really wants to spend the rest of their life.

um. yes?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Your life your choices my friend :)
    Perhaps you let go of your lifestyle for this one occassion or simply explain you are paleo

It will all be ok!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's one meal and no one probably pays much attention to what you eat, unless you yourself make a big deal of it.

Having hosted most of our Thanksgiving's recently, I agree with this. There are so many different dishes that no one is expected to eat them all and I only notice if someone doesn't eat something I make if they make a point of apologizing to me for it (which my mother for some reason does, but that's for another post!).

I actually think Thanksgiving would be pretty easy from a paleo POV, although I also think not wanting to deviate at all (even re gravy) seems a little purist and not really related to any genuine nutrition goals, so might be worth thinking about. Paleo isn't a religion where it is some huge thing if you violate the rules.

However, turkey is obviously fine, you might be able to create a paleo-friendly gravy if that's essential for you (I'm sure there are recipes on the internet) that you could bring, and basic sweet potatoes, regular potatoes (depending on who you ask), and plenty of the vegetables would all be fine, depending on how strict you are (is butter really a deal breaker?) or how your family does them.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    BaltarVK wrote: »
    I have a 5 mile run scheduled for Thanksgiving and the day after because I want turkey and dressing and gravy over everything LOL

Right? I'm so excited for something meat, something bready, something mashed, something green, and something pecan and pumpkin. I will work that goodness off...or not :)
    I dig Thanksgiving. I have no problem working that glorious meal off. The biggest problem is my father in law has a full bar in his "man cave" 4 beers on tap. Oh man. I better start running more. SMH

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have a 5 mile run scheduled for Thanksgiving and the day after because I want turkey and dressing and gravy over everything LOL

Right? I'm so excited for something meat, something bready, something mashed, something green, and something pecan and pumpkin. I will work that goodness off...or not :)
    I dig Thanksgiving. I have no problem working that glorious meal off. The biggest problem is my father in law has a full bar in his "man cave" 4 beers on tap. Oh man. I better start running more. SMH

Aw man! Jealous. I can't really drink beer anymore since I've started all this. Just doesn't work with the bod. I can still have my rye and wine though :)

• MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've drank, maybe, one beer in the past 3 months. Like you say, I just would rather be healthier so I cut it out. But I'm sure having a week off and staying with the in laws will make drinking a lot more appealing lol