Goodbye veganism....

Options

Replies

• kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for almost 13 years growing up..against my parents wishes. I had never had any meat cravings what so ever but one day coming home after a long workout I sat down and ate the first thing I saw, which was a shepherds pie. Tasted amazing! but took a long time for my body to adjust. 9 years later I tried being vegetarian for health reasons, lost under 50lbs, but wasn't happy. Now here I am trying to find balance in an everyday diet.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it

You sound mad, bro. Are you mad?

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

Op just take ownership of your choice and leave the excuses out of it.

There is no way to get DHA omega three through a plant based diet. And iron absorption is very different and very much decreased on a plant based diet. So yeah, it is possible for someone to not feel bodily "right."

It wasn't "my body doesn't feel right" or "my blood tests came back with a deficiency"......

She said she craved meat. That right there, in and of itself can be a sign of iron deficiency. Not everyone who is a vegan or vegetarian will be or has a form of iron deficiency anemia, just like not all women who are pregnant will, either. I did. I had PICA. I craved ice so badly that I ate 100 Otter Pops in less than 24 hours. This was only 48 hours before I gave birth. It's a horrible feeling. I can't diagnose this young woman, or say this is the cause, but it is certainly a possibility, and one worth looking into. Regardless, her reasons for wanting to become an omnivore are her own. She's not asking anyone else to join her, nor is she condemning those who continue to live and enjoy a vegan lifestyle. She stated her reason for giving it up and feels happy with her decision.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/iron-deficiency-signs_n_5043342.html

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

There is no way to get DHA omega three through a plant based diet. And iron absorption is very different and very much decreased on a plant based diet. So yeah, it is possible for someone to not feel bodily "right."

It wasn't "my body doesn't feel right" or "my blood tests came back with a deficiency"......

She said she craved meat. That right there, in and of itself can be a sign of iron deficiency. Not everyone who is a vegan or vegetarian will be or has a form of iron deficiency anemia, just like not all women who are pregnant will, either. I did. I had PICA. I craved ice so badly that I ate 100 Otter Pops in less than 24 hours. This was only 48 hours before I gave birth. It's a horrible feeling. I can't diagnose this young woman, or say this is the cause, but it is certainly a possibility, and one worth looking into. Regardless, her reasons for wanting to become an omnivore are her own. She's not asking anyone else to join her, nor is she condemning those who continue to live and enjoy a vegan lifestyle. She stated her reason for giving it up and feels happy with her decision.

At no point has anyone in this little debate told the op they were wrong for eating meat. Just to own her decision to eat meat because she wants to, not because it is something her body can't live without.

The first response in this debate stipulates "if you have a balanced (vegetarian) diet" you don't need meat. Just because you may be iron deficient doesn't mean you have to get your iron from meat.

I have nothing against eating meat, I eat 8-16 oz of meat a day. What I found grating was a post, from in Reality a toddler vegan, that gave the implication being vegan was physically impossible because "the body craves meat".

The body craves adequate nutrients and a successful and experienced vegan is able to provide these nutrients while adhering to their beliefs. To imply that it is impossible is a slap in the face to these dedicated individuals.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I made a similar decision. I've been vegetarian/vegan before but remember feeling SOO weak & tired. And yes, I *did* eat mostly whole plant sources, made sure to get enough protein etc. It just did not work for me. I am now the weight I was at my lowest as a vegan and feel ridiculously stronger & better & just more well.

It's absolutely NOT for everyone.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I crave salt...and I have low blood pressure, so I do wonder if there is some kind of a link there.

Cravings or no cravings, you shouldn't crave the approval of other people regarding your diet. Do what you want.
  • biorobotics
    Options
    my veganism and the eating disorder didn't get along very well, plus i was kind of half-assing it ("i'm vegan except for 35-calorie yogurt!"). now i'm a committed vegetarian, and am much happier eating cage-free eggs than not eating eggs at all. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »

Indeedlioni neighbor - indeedlioni!

OP - welcome back - bacon feast on me tonight!!

Whoa, supah dirty! MFP late night.

• dbmata
    Options
    What turns me off most about the Vegan lifestyle is all the "Holier Than Thou" preaching that typically comes with it.

I don't think that's so much of a problem with "the vegan lifestyle" as "vegans who also happen to be a-holes".

First off, great pic.

Second, if a vegan does crossfit, what do they talk about first?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience several years ago after making an earnest go at being vegan. I was truly craving meats, eggs and dairy, well after those cravings had long gone away. Truth be told though, I went vegan for health reasons, not ethical ones, so going back to eating meat, dairy and eggs was not something I felt I had to beat myself up over.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian, but eating less meat may not be a bad idea... Check out this article on "The Island Where People Forget to Die." Of course, a lot of the advice has to do with living a very low-stress lifestyle. So, it's hard to separate the benefits of the lifestyle from the diet. It looks like these islanders are really pesco pollo vegetarians, who eat mostly vegetarian accompanied by fish and chicken on occasion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/secrets-from-the-island-where-people-forget-to-die-2014-10-31

Also see:
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-different-kinds-of-vegetarians.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/living-vegetarian-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Interesting article on the Greek island. I have read a similar book called The Blue Zones.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

At no point has anyone in this little debate told the op they were wrong for eating meat. Just to own her decision to eat meat because she wants to, not because it is something her body can't live without.

The first response in this debate stipulates "if you have a balanced (vegetarian) diet" you don't need meat. Just because you may be iron deficient doesn't mean you have to get your iron from meat.

I have nothing against eating meat, I eat 8-16 oz of meat a day. What I found grating was a post, from in Reality a toddler vegan, that gave the implication being vegan was physically impossible because "the body craves meat".

The body craves adequate nutrients and a successful and experienced vegan is able to provide these nutrients while adhering to their beliefs. To imply that it is impossible is a slap in the face to these dedicated individuals.

The first person who replied was quite angry, implying that she needed to just "own" her decision, which, I'm pretty sure she was doing. She said meat was looking pretty good, and she felt her body was craving protein from other sources. None of us are living in her body, and we can't speak for how she feels.

Is she saying that every person that has these cravings needs meat to fulfill their cravings? No, this is her choice and what she believes is right for her. The first person was also implying in order to be a vegan that it was all about compassion and non-violence. Not every vegan is a vegan because they care about animal rights and animal welfare. There are some vegans who genuinely don't like the taste of meat or dairy products. They choose not to eat these foods because they simply don't like them. It doesn't have anything to do with morality. Then, there are people that this IS their life. They are dedicated to the respecting the dignity of all creatures, and this is far more than just the way they choose to eat.

I just went back and re-read the entire thread. At no point did anyone say "the body craves meat". So, unless there's been a post deleted, I'm missing something. I'm sorry to those who are faithful to this lifestyle, that put in the dedicated effort and never feel any sort of cravings for meat or otherwise that take offense to such. However, I cannot speak for another human being, as to what his or her individual cravings are. When I was suffering with PICA, had someone told me, "Oh, you aren't craving ice, or other non-food type crunchy/gritty things" I probably would've slugged them. I ate 100 Otter Pops in less than 24 hours. This was 48 hours before I gave birth. The ONLY reason my husband bought the Otter Pops for me, was because my aunt caught me gnawing on a block buffer (that you buff acrylic nails with). I wanted something gritty and crunchy. He left immediately to get me more Otter Pops.

We, as individuals know what our bodies need or are lacking. Sometimes, our cravings are signs/symptoms of something wrong within our bodies.

The OP feels fine with her decision, and has a plan to eat meat in a way she feels is ethical. Props to her.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What turns me off most about the Vegan lifestyle is all the "Holier Than Thou" preaching that typically comes with it.

There is plenty "Holier than Thou" preaching that comes from carnivores, as well. Just an observation from this omnivore with a vegetarian leaning.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I don't think that's so much of a problem with "the vegan lifestyle" as "vegans who also happen to be a-holes".

First off, great pic.

Oh, @dbmata, are you bored today?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

First off, great pic.

What, couldn't sleep last night. ;)

Was actually reading a neat article last night about PED rates in CF by John Romano. Dude knows his PEDs.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

+1

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

There is plenty "Holier than Thou" preaching that comes from carnivores, as well. Just an observation from this omnivore with a vegetarian leaning.

Really?? I don't see carnivores/omnivores coming into threads having to announce they are vegan. Why not just answer a question and move on, instead I see a lot of vegans/vegetarians having to make sure and insert in their answers that they are vegan when the post has absolutely nothing to do with that. I see it all the time.

No, I am not talking about this thread. This thread warrants a poster to clarify what diet they prefer.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

How was your protein intake before? Adequate? Like yesterday, 36 g of protein was from the pizza you ate.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

How was your protein intake before? Adequate? Like yesterday, 36 g of protein was from the pizza you ate.

My protein was good, I was getting about 47ish grams per day which is adequate for my needs. Yet, I've been getting a lot more the past few days of eating meat and I do feel better, as in much more satisfied.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Just an anecdotal thing, but the people I know that have reformed from vegan/vegetarianism generally have had better skin afterwards. They actually started looking younger, facial skin wrinkles smoothed out. This is from young folks though, sub 30.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

First off, great pic.

What, couldn't sleep last night. ;)

Was actually reading a neat article last night about PED rates in CF by John Romano. Dude knows his PEDs.

If you weren't so damn cool, I'd throw a barbell at you.