ruined metabolism by starving? ?

Options
I dont ever post on here but could use some help I have basically ruined my metabolism by starving myself (unintentionally at first) and now I cant even look at food without gaining weight. How do I sort out my metabolism so I can eat normally again without gaining a huge amount of weight? Please don't be horrible I know its my fault bit im trying to be healthy again and just want some help :(

Replies

• getready66
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many cals were you eating? How long did you eat a small amount for?
  • BriarBelle
    Options
    500 cals a day approximately for about 1.5 years now if eat over 500 a day I gain 2-3 pounds overnight
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    BriarBelle wrote: »
    500 cals a day approximately for about 1.5 years now if eat over 500 a day I gain 2-3 pounds overnight

You should see a doctor.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Starving sucks and I won't do it. I never miss a meal, I get hangry. What worked for me is upping my cardio to allow me to eat more. I run most mornings (4 to 8 miles) and then follow it up with a 1200 calorie breakfast. By 9:30 a snack, lunch, a snack and a reasonable dinner. Revving it up works for me.
  • BriarBelle
    Options
    I have seen a doctor they dont care because im not underweight so they say just eat 2000 cals a day and all will be fine. I went 7 days eating normally and gained 9pounds in 7 days.

I just want to be healthy again and be able to eat normally I never planned to starve myself or anything. I dont know whether slowly increasing my calories would work or not I dont know much about how the body works apart from iv messed mine up

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that 9 lbs. wasn't just water retention? Shifting calories like that can cause huge fluctuations. If you can, stick with a larger amount of calories, drink lots of water, and keep sodium to a minimum. You should get past that initial "gain" and your body will balance itself out. Not knowing your personal stats, though, I don't know if 2000 cals. is accurate or not. How about seeing a nutritionist?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I have seen a doctor they dont care because im not underweight so they say just eat 2000 cals a day and all will be fine. I went 7 days eating normally and gained 9pounds in 7 days.

I just want to be healthy again and be able to eat normally I never planned to starve myself or anything. I dont know whether slowly increasing my calories would work or not I dont know much about how the body works apart from iv messed mine up

Have you been losing weight? Are you tracking calories? You realize jumping up in intake results in water weight regain. Glycogen stores return when you eat at maintenance. So, jumping up and down intake isn't going to help you. You're looking for a trend over several weeks. What the average is. I can gain like 5 lbs from morning to night 4 lbs from day to the next. Weight loss, maintenance. Gain. None of it will be linear.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

So what's wrong with having gained 9lbs?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You have to gradually up your calories. Initially you will likely gain. Eventually your body will normalize.

• BriarBelle
    Options

Have you been losing weight? Are you tracking calories? You realize jumping up in intake results in water weight regain. Glycogen stores return when you eat at maintenance. So, jumping up and down intake isn't going to help you. You're looking for a trend over several weeks. What the average is. I can gain like 5 lbs from morning to night 4 lbs from day to the next. Weight loss, maintenance. Gain. None of it will be linear.

Last year I lost alot of weight now im kind of just fluctuating between a few pounds i track on here most days I know if I eat a big meal ill gain water and food weight ect its not pure fat appeared overnight but my average weight is staying the same now just up or down a pound
  • BriarBelle
    Options

Im happy with my weight and dont wanna gain loads of weight
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1. Find a better doctor that listens to you and ask for a referral to a dietician to help you sort out your nutritional needs. Be your own advocate and don't take no for an answer.
    2. Start increasing your calories. You will gain weight at first and that's just how it is (much of it is water due to replenishing your glycogen stores). But your body will eventually straighten itself out and you'll be able to maintain weight at a reasonable calorie intake and then start losing safely again. A dietician can help you figure all of this out.
  • BriarBelle
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Are you sure that 9 lbs. wasn't just water retention? Shifting calories like that can cause huge fluctuations. If you can, stick with a larger amount of calories, drink lots of water, and keep sodium to a minimum. You should get past that initial "gain" and your body will balance itself out. Not knowing your personal stats, though, I don't know if 2000 cals. is accurate or not. How about seeing a nutritionist?

Some of it was probably water but its just awful when you can gain over a stone in 2 weeks wich I easily could :/ id like to see a nutritionist is something ill have to look into thank you
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You've been eating 500 calories a day for 1.5 years, you suddenly increase your caloric intake and your body will retain water weight - it's been deprived and is holding on to it.

It's not 9lb's of fat, it's most likely water.

The only way to being healthy again is eating enough calories, in your case.

• TavistockToad
    Options

You will probably have to gain a few pounds in order to repair your metabolism.... So I guess it depends what you want more?
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How did you lose the weight last year? Eating very low calories? I have a couple of co-workers who are doing HCG injections & eating 500 calories a day. THIS is why I don't go for that kind of thing.

I'd increase calories slowly & add some exercise. Even if you gain a little who cares. Reset your metabolism the best you can, learn to enjoy normal eating again & then MFP will be here for you to lose it the right way.
  • BriarBelle
    Options
    I was at my highest ever weight last year so I started mfp doing 1200cals a day and exercise and eating really healthy ect and didnt lose any weight I did it for months and just wasnt working, then I had a really stressful time and lost my appetite couldnt really eat because I was depressed and kind of just got stuck in the rut of eating hardly anything, I suppose im worried about gaining loads of weight and not being able to lose it the healthy way like before.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

You will probably have to gain a few pounds in order to repair your metabolism.... So I guess it depends what you want more?

This^^^^^ which I recommend you do. Gain some weight and when you get to a comfortable amount of calories a day that maintains, then do a slow cut. This is exactly why everyone says take your time with weight loss.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was at my highest ever weight last year so I started mfp doing 1200cals a day and exercise and eating really healthy ect and didnt lose any weight I did it for months and just wasnt working, then I had a really stressful time and lost my appetite couldnt really eat because I was depressed and kind of just got stuck in the rut of eating hardly anything, I suppose im worried about gaining loads of weight and not being able to lose it the healthy way like before.

Are you still eating super low calories?

It probably makes sense to increase somewhat slowly, maybe 100 or so per week, although if you are way low I'd at least go up to 1200 immediately. Your metabolism will respond and also most of what you gain will be water weight so just don't freak out and give it time.