80% diet 20% exercise

Options
Well after 10 weeks on the Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, and not missing a beat/day, I all of a sudden am really struggling to find the energy this week to get my workouts done. I feel like I have let myself down but I am so very tired and busy with a lot of other things going on at the moment, I feel like I would pass out if I attempted the circuit. I did them the last two nights and intend on continuing and finishing, just trying not to beat myself up over missing a night or two.

My question is, with thoughts of this week only, what is your opinion/results on 80-20% theory?

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    100% calorie deficit. If you're still in a deficit with your diet, doesn't matter if you miss a few days of exercise. Some days it's way easier for me to stick to my calories than drag myself to the gym, others I get hungrier and manage a cardio workout to make the deficit. Whatever works for you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the deficit. If you don't have enough energy, maybe you're restricting your calories too much? How many calories are you eating a day?
  • ainsliejane
    ainsliejane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am under calories most days, try to aim for between 1340 and 1440. MFP goal is between 1490 and 1550.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think that weight loss for women is all about calorie deficit. Exercise seems to help prevent plateaus and keeps you from feeling weak/cold/tired - perhaps with some effect on metabolism?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have 1 or 2 rest days from the gym a week so I can workout harder after my body has recovered. I have 3 kids, the youngest is 6 months and up 2-3 times a night, so I need that rest day. I still walk on my rest days though.
    Personally, for me, exercise works more than diet does, although my diet has never been bad. I think if you exercise loads but still eat junk then that would have an impact.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am under calories most days, try to aim for between 1340 and 1440. MFP goal is between 1490 and 1550.

Is that AFTER eating back half the exercise calories or before?
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your calorie burn from your work outs? If so are you eating those calories back or sticking to your original calorie goal?

I would suggest eating the calories you burn if not. I hate to be the wet towel on the deficit is all that matters for weight loss, but while this is entirely true that deficit is all that matters for weight loss. It is not true for fat loss. I imagine that your true goal is fat loss and of course weight is the way you are measuring that fat loss. Diet alone to achieve the loss that you are looking for is more likely to not only lose fat but muscle mass as well.

I would suggest two things: (1) Be sure to log your calorie burn for the day and eat back those calories for a couple of days until you feel more motivated. (2) Change your work out routine. Go for a long walk with a friend, go swimming at a local pool, etc. Then when you feel refreshed get back to our good friend Jillian. :smile:

Good Luck!
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    One more thing...whatever you do don't beat yourself up over a day or two. Even if it means taking a day or two break completely from exercising. I know this somewhat contradicts my last post, but a day or two break from the grind every once and awhile never hurt anyone. So don't sweat the small stuff.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are physically tired, it's probably from either not enough calories or inadequate nutrients. You could have also have your doctor run some blood work to see if you are deficient in any areas.

But can you open your diary?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you are physically tired, it's probably from either not enough calories or inadequate nutrients. You could have also have your doctor run some blood work to see if you are deficient in any areas.

or sleep, stress, or a cold...

Your body needs rest and food to recover after a lot of exercise. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to run down or it could be some other small thing that changed that pushed your body to need a little more recovery time. Maybe you stayed out late last weekend or work has been a little more stressful or something like that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

or sleep, stress, or a cold...

Your body needs rest and food to recover after a lot of exercise. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to run down or it could be some other small thing that changed that pushed your body to need a little more recovery time. Maybe you stayed out late last weekend or work has been a little more stressful or something like that.

And if the OP is only eating 1300 calories and exercising a lot, that would cause stress on her body.

But yes, there are a lot of variables.
  • I think the ratio is "70% diet, 30% exercise".
    It comes down to calorie deficit at the end of the day, but really if weight loss is your goal then diet needs to be your first priority and exercise the second.
    I stick to 1,200 calories most days and then one or two days usually the weekend I have a bit more if I've earned it through exercise.
  • katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Even without exercise, I was losing weight; it's about the calorie deficit. I am losing weight faster and feeling better with exercise and believe it should be part of every healthy lifestyle. That said, you can lose weight without it.
    I've seen the Jillian Michaels challenge, and it's a great way to get fit. Don't beat yourself up for missing a couple days; just get back on your routine and be proud of every healthy effort you make.
  • ainsliejane
    Options
    I guess stress and lack of sleep have been a big factor of the last week - 3 kids - youngest 11 months, two youngest not sleeping through, eldest (6yrs) up at 5:30 each morning. I work from home with the two youngest - had a 'lump' tested that could be cancerous and am getting dental work next week.

I log all exercise, but don't eat back those calories. It's such a mindset...I signed up with the Michelle Bridges 12wbt (Aus) program where I had to limit to 1200calories a day, plus burn 500 a day 6 days a week. So to try and figure out BMR and TDEE was all new to me and to be eating over that 1200 felt like I was overeating, although after reading so much on the forums I can see it works. Reading your responses I think I will focus on more protein, less sugary foods and will get back into it tomorrow, or Friday :)
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in the middle of JMBR (week 8) as well. So far I've taken two weeks out, so it's actually 10 weeks since I started. One week I was sick, the other I was on holiday. If you need a break, take one! It doesn't matter if you don't finish exactly in the 12 weeks as designed.

ETA: I am doing this for fitness though, the calorie deficit is for weight loss.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    well, if you aren't eating back your exercise calories, eating 1200 calories, and burning 500 6x a week...

you aren't eating enough to fuel recovery.
  • ainsliejane
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    well, if you aren't eating back your exercise calories, eating 1200 calories, and burning 500 6x a week...

you aren't eating enough to fuel recovery.

Sorry, I meant in the past, before I had my last baby. That was what her program was.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    well, you have said twice that you still don't eat back exercise calories AND you come in under calories usually.
    I log all exercise, but don't eat back those calories. It's such a mindset...

so what have you been NETTING the last few weeks?
  • ainsliejane
    Options
    Currently my MFP goal is at 1550 calories. From looking at my reports, over the past few weeks I have netted on average between 1000 and 1200. I had one day over at 1681 net calories which was a bad bad day and then my lowest net was 644 after a double workout.

Am I not eating enough?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Probably not eating enough... do you use a food scale? And can you open your food diary? And how do you measure calories burned? I assume the MFP database?