Squatting & Flexibility

Options
Earlier this week I squatted for the first time since high school. I used very light weight and tried to focus on form. I was unable to get my thighs even close to parallel. I think this is due to my extreme lack of flexibility, rather than the weight. I confirmed this with a bodyweight squat where I had the same results. Has anyone else had the same issue when starting to squat and what would be the best way to improve?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your ankle flexibility is low?
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Stick at it - your tendons and ligaments will remember how to stretch eventually. And keep the weight light until they do. I went back to basics with my squatting a few weeks ago and can now do a full squat, albeit it with only half the weight I was using before. This is using an Olympic bar in a squat rack btw. Smith machines also good for helping form if you have access to one.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This was a lot of help for me when I first started squatting. http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-improve-flexibility-and-mobility-for-squatting/
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    Stick at it - your tendons and ligaments will remember how to stretch eventually. And keep the weight light until they do. I went back to basics with my squatting a few weeks ago and can now do a full squat, albeit it with only half the weight I was using before. This is using an Olympic bar in a squat rack btw. Smith machines also good for helping form if you have access to one.

How does the smith machine help with form?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Squatting in a Smith will not help with form for a barbell squat.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Do you mean your ankle flexibility is low?

Think it's hip flexors.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    This was a lot of help for me when I first started squatting. http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-improve-flexibility-and-mobility-for-squatting/

Thanks
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I second the advice that blobby10 is giving with the exception of the Smith Machine portion. The smith machine doesn't provide the correct movement pattern to complete the squat. In some cases, you have to put your body in some weird positions in order to complete the movement. Stick with the barbell squat. The improved motion will come with time.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Give those stretches a try and see what happens in a week or two.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Options
    I know better than to use a smith machine for squating, but while we're on the subject, how about using it for barbell rows?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I know better than to use a smith machine for squating, but while we're on the subject, how about using it for barbell rows?

A barbell is still going to be superior. Free weights trigger your stabilizer muscles to work. A Smith machine does some of the work for you.

• yopeeps025
    Options

Why ever use the smith machine? I hate it and my gym should trash it for another squat rack or power cage.

• Old_Man_McGucket
    Options

Why ever use the smith machine? I hate it and my gym should trash it for another squat rack or power cage.

Exactly - Just asking because the smith is always empty and there's usually a wait at the rack.

• stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm older and had the same issue with hip flexors and ankle flexibility. Work at it with other stretches, and keep the weights light until you have form down. It comes with time. As to the Smith machine, my recommednation is to stay away from it. The bar path is wrong, and the auxiliary muscle and balance issues are definitely off. Other than that, it's a fine piece of equipment.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options

It's handy for inverted rows and hanging leg raises...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    roxylola wrote: »

towel rack and a handy place to rest between sets.
  • yopeeps025
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Place to move a bench so I got room to jump rope.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Place to move a bench so I go room to jump rope.

genius
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you doing anything to warm things up? I can't squat cold...I usually do about 500 meters on the rowing machine to just get everything moving then I do some mobility work with a PVC pipe and body weight and then a couple sets of Russian Kettle Bell Swings. After that, I'm usually pretty good to go and I can pretty much get *kitten* to grass.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try goblet squats first to help with the flexibility? Having the weight at the center of the body means you can just concentrate on getting down without worrying about balancing the bar as well.