What is your favorite way to eat beets?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, I LOVE THEM TOO, and eat them all day, every day,, they are so good for blood pressure, I have a soup that I adore.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love all the suggestions. I spent my first 38 years saying I will eat anything except beets. So I have made it my personal mission to learn to like beets. My friend tried to convert me years ago with boiled beets and mayo! Didn't work. Then I had borscht! I was in heaven. This soup is amazing! My mom also canned beets and I like them her way. Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions here. I will enjoy beets!
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No offence but I hate the americanism of "beets". (One of my many americanism hates) :#

However I enjoy beetroot simply chopped on some salad. :)
  • MEC1964
    Options
    Even sliced canned beets are good served covered with feta cheese, drizzled with a low cal balsamic vinegar dressing, then topped with some chopped walnuts.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am seriously a beet junkie. Red, golden, all of the above. I clean (scrub) them, cut the tops off, then drizzle them with truffle oil or olive oil and sprinkle smoked paprika and sea salt. Loosely wrap them in foil and roast at 400 deg until they are fork tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool and peel off the exterior skin. Slice and serve with goat cheese, walnuts, over field greens with a vinaigrette.
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    Homemade beet pickles. I've got this recipe from a 1950's canning book that has cinnamon, clove and allspice, the are absolutely delish!

I peel them, roast them until they are almost tender and then store them in the freezer for later. Pull out a serving in the morning, add some feta cheese and a light drizzle of honey or basalmic vinegar. By lunchtime they are thawed and ready to devour.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Roasted and cooled, topped with goat cheese and honey mustard!
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Roasted and added to salad. Or blended into a smoothie.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I couldnt stand them but needed variety in my diet, had them shredded in a slaw and was hooked ! Ive eaten them canned ( pre-cooked and sliced ) and covered in a light raspberry vinagrette :) Some great ideas here, Im going to buy one or two and try roasting them ! Thanks guys !
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I like fresh beets juiced.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I couldnt stand them but needed variety in my diet, had them shredded in a slaw and was hooked ! Ive eaten them canned ( pre-cooked and sliced ) and covered in a light raspberry vinagrette :) Some great ideas here, Im going to buy one or two and try roasting them ! Thanks guys !

Beet slaw! Why have I never thought of this? Genius!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    magnum26 wrote: »
    No offence but I hate the americanism of "beets". (One of my many americanism hates) :#

Some of us eat more than the root. ;)
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    magnum26 wrote: »

Some of us eat more than the root. ;)

What else do you mean? The leaves?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    My favourite way is to cover it with lashes of overpowering sauce, meat and bread in a way that I can barely taste the beet at the end of it....
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

What else do you mean? The leaves?

Yep. Beet greens are lovely, lovely things. Saute some onion in a bit of olive oil until translucent and then add the beet greens and cook just until tender. They're also good raw as a salad. Then there's finely diced beet root cooked in with the greens. Yummmmm....

• LadyNovaOz
    LadyNovaOz Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a few recipes if you're interested:
    novamorganoz.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/beetrooted-adventures.html
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    love beets

peeled and chopped, drizzled with olive oil, and a sprinkling of sea - salt and baked.
    -
    - So easy to make, and yet tasty.
    -
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pickled on top of warm liver pate on fresh sourdough rye bread.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    The only way I have ever eaten them is the canned ones. Just directly add them to a salad or just alone. Those are the ones my mom would buy growing up. I liked them, but I actually never bought them myself. Sad to say, I don't even know how a fresh one looks like.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Like a basketball player into the trash

giphy.gif