The best most amazing pot pie ever

Options
Milvardea
Milvardea Posts: 52
edited November 2014 in Recipes
My boyfriend doesn't like most "real" food. He's big into those really awful pot pies that come in the freezer section (yeck). I on the other hand love homemade, from scratch food. We both agreed that this is the best pot pie we have ever had, by far, and you cannot beat the nutrition facts. And it's easy!

2 Large Celery Sticks
2 chicken breasts (or turkey)
2.5-3 cups of water
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced, or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 Large Carrot, chopped
1 Medium white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
rosemary
pepper
parsley
1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
1 cup of non-fat plain greek yogurt (I like the greek gods')
1/4 cup of white flour (might be able to use whole wheat, but haven't tried it)
1 pie crust, homemade or store bought
egg whites for wash, if desired

Step 1
Boil chicken and celery in the water; water should cover the chicken, but not by too much (I hate the texture of celery, so I don't cut up the stalks and put it in with the other veggies. Boiling it with the chicken leads a little celery flavor without adding celery pieces. If you want pieces of celery, just cut it up and add it when you cook the carrots and the onions later).

Once the chicken is mostly cooked through, remove from heat. Cut up the chicken and save 1-1.5 cups of the liquid chicken stock (I'd save the rest of it too, for future recipes cause chicken stock is so good in everything). Preheat oven to 375°C

Step 2
In a medium saucepan, sauté onions, carrots, rosemary, parsley in the butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings. Slowly whisk in broth and simmer until thick, about 30 seconds.

Step 3
Stir in chicken, peas and Greek yogurt. Pour mixture into 9½-inch pie plate.

Step 4
Place pie crust over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges of pastry and score top to vent. Brush crust with egg wash (optional).

Step 5
Bake potpie until golden brown, about 45 minutes (if your oven cooks unevenly, rotate about halfway through). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.g33h93ukgg27.jpg

Serving size is 1/4 of the pie

Calories: 323
Total Fat 12 g
Sodium 111 mg
Sugars 6 g
Protein 25 g

And it's delicious!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • grlgemini
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    My boyfriend doesn't like most "real" food. He's big into those really awful pot pies that come in the freezer section (yeck). I on the other hand love homemade, from scratch food. We both agreed that this is the best pot pie we have ever had, by far, and you cannot beat the nutrition facts. And it's easy!

2 Large Celery Sticks
    2 chicken breasts (or turkey)
    2.5-3 cups of water
    3-5 cloves of garlic, minced, or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 Large Carrot, chopped
    1 Medium white onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons of butter
    rosemary
    pepper
    parsley
    1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
    1 cup of non-fat plain greek yogurt (I like the greek gods')
    1/4 cup of white flour (might be able to use whole wheat, but haven't tried it)
    1 pie crust, homemade or store bought
    egg whites for wash, if desired

Step 1
    Boil chicken and celery in the water; water should cover the chicken, but not by too much (I hate the texture of celery, so I don't cut up the stalks and put it in with the other veggies. Boiling it with the chicken leads a little celery flavor without adding celery pieces. If you want pieces of celery, just cut it up and add it when you cook the carrots and the onions later).

Once the chicken is mostly cooked through, remove from heat. Cut up the chicken and save 1-1.5 cups of the liquid chicken stock (I'd save the rest of it too, for future recipes cause chicken stock is so good in everything). Preheat oven to 375°C

Step 2
    In a medium saucepan, sauté onions, carrots, rosemary, parsley in the butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings. Slowly whisk in broth and simmer until thick, about 30 seconds.

Step 3
    Stir in chicken, peas and Greek yogurt. Pour mixture into 9½-inch pie plate.

Step 4
    Place pie crust over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges of pastry and score top to vent. Brush crust with egg wash (optional).

Step 5
    Bake potpie until golden brown, about 45 minutes (if your oven cooks unevenly, rotate about halfway through). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.g33h93ukgg27.jpg

Serving size is 1/4 of the pie

Calories: 323
    Total Fat 12 g
    Sodium 111 mg
    Sugars 6 g
    Protein 25 g

And it's delicious!

I am not a big chicken pot pie fan, but my son and husband eat those frozen things. I will give this a try. I always keep left over dark/white meat from roasted chickens so this is easy to toss together.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that this falls under a different category, since it's not a chicken pot pie. It's a chicken and ham pot pie.

Second of all, I don't like ham or dijon mustard or mushrooms, so I doubt I would share your opinion. But thanks for the share.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    grlgemini wrote: »
    I am not a big chicken pot pie fan, but my son and husband eat those frozen things. I will give this a try. I always keep left over dark/white meat from roasted chickens so this is easy to toss together.

Yeah, if you have roast chicken somewhere, you just need another source of chicken stock. If you use the premade stuff, it has a lot of salt, which is why I use the recipe to make my own. I'm sure it would be yummy though, and it's super easy. If you try it, let me know what your family thinks!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that this falls under a different category, since it's not a chicken pot pie. It's a chicken and ham pot pie.

Second of all, I don't like ham or dijon mustard or mushrooms, so I doubt I would share your opinion. But thanks for the share.

Obviously, just as I would never consider something that had no dark meat and boiled chicken breasts the most amazing
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This recipe looks amazing. Thanks so much for posting. Nothing like the real thing!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Mygsds wrote: »
    This recipe looks amazing. Thanks so much for posting. Nothing like the real thing!!

Glad you're back
    Well thank you so much. That was very nice.