Common sense and common courtesy...it has to be said...

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
NEITHER ARE COMMON!

Example 1.) If you can have a full blown conversation on your cell phone...no pauses for breathing...no nothing. Just as if you were sitting down? You are not working out. Common sense.

Example 2.) If you walk three people wide so that you CAN have your full blown conversation...and if you tune out EVERYONE and EVERYTHING around you...you block the path and others can't get past you...Similarly, if you walk SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL...and WEAVE to and fro, you block those behind and in front of you and we can't get past. Common sense and common courtesy.

SERIOUSLY! Am I the only one having these problems? I had to as the SAME group of women this morning to move so that I can get past...they were walking three people wide, blocking the entire trail. I asked them the first time and told them to please stay to one side. Second time, they did it again. I said "Really? REALLY?!"

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Nothing that a powerful foot-sweep from behind wouldn't fix.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    You did well, some times it best to hold your peace, some times it maybe months.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    so how many other people were doing this?

if this was the only guy and no one else was being discourteous and/or nonsensical, then perhaps they are, in fact, common.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    “Common sense is as rare as genius.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Courtesy and common sense are long dead in America, it's all about being stupid and selfish these days.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    so how many other people were doing this?

if this was the only guy and no one else was being discourteous and/or nonsensical, then perhaps they are, in fact, common.

It's a different group every week. If there are more than 2 people on the trail, it's inevitable. And this is probably the third time I've had to say "Excuse me, ladies..." or "One side, sir..."

If it was a one off kind of thing I wouldn't get this hot and bothered about it.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for you to have to say excuse me everytime you pass. It's not like everyone has to go at your pace or faster.
    Why do you care what kind of workout they are getting? Maybe their goal is to have a leisurely walk while enjoying the company of friends.
    Are there rules about not having conversations while walking on a trail?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Common sense would have dictated me to have the common courtesy to say "excuse me" and continue on my way.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for you to have to say excuse me everytime you pass. It's not like everyone has to go at your pace or faster.
    Why do you care what kind of workout they are getting? Maybe their goal is to have a leisurely walk while enjoying the company of friends.
    Are there rules about not having conversations while walking on a trail?

When it makes you oblivious to everyone else around you? I don't care if they're slow that has nothing to do with anything. Walking 3 people wide and blocking the way for everyone else? That I do take issue with.

• MSeel1984
    Options
    Common sense would have dictated me to have the common courtesy to say "excuse me" and continue on my way.

I did say excuse me. They don't always listen. Sometimes not until I'm right behind them...and even then they wander trying to figure out where they're going.
    Trails are like streets...if there are others around you, stay on one side.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you were coming up to them from the front, they should move without asking and you have a gripe. If you were coming up from behind them, just say "excuse me" and move on . . . or you could do what my friend does. She has a whistle and blows in and calls out "on your left" when she gets about 10 feet behind someone taking up the trail.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I pickpocket them. I'm opportunistic like that.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You sound upset.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Well, since I don't really have common courtesy, I'd be all, "MOVE! DAM IT!" ... and power walk right thru them. THAT should teach them. I've done it before even tho they get all mad... but it don't matter cuz they're way behind me as I continue to power walk. :smirk:

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I sometimes run around Rowan University -- one Sunday AM I was running on a sidewalk and a group of students passed me, moving over to their side so I ran by on one side and they walked on the other. A second group came along just behind the first and refused to move over -- I had to run into the grass along the street to avoid them and they acted all put out that I was passing them -- some people have no street smarts/common courtesy.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have this happen when biking the trail ALL the freaking time. My experience is that men are worse about it, and the "better" dressed they are -- i.e. guys who just started riding who bought Bianchi bikes and wear full regalia as if they're headed for the Tour de France -- the WORSE it is. It's an annoyance, but if that's the worst part of your day, you had a great day.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've had worse, I had 3 bicyclist riding side by side and one hit me coming up from behind. I couldn't have been any further to the side too. My feet were litterally on the edge of the trail. BTW No apology either.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nothing that a powerful foot-sweep from behind wouldn't fix.
    karate-Kid-Cobra-Kai-John-Kreese-sweep-the-leg.jpg
    I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post this. :P

OP, you either go somewhere else, or go around them. People that don't move when you ask them won't ever move. Sweeping the leg merely provides the chance for you to move them yourself.