Is there anyone who is overweght that enjoys running outside

Options
I enjoy running outside but I am fit and I always see other runners as well but they are in shape. However today for the first time I saw an overweight woman running outside an I waved at her and smiled. I am not trying offensive but I almost never see anyone who is overweight exercising outside. just curious

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised to see this. How can you be so completely unaware of the law that makes it a crime for overweight people to run outside? I'm pretty sure it's second degree misdemeanor here in Pennsylvania.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't seen anyone who is out of shape running outside either. I just never really thought of it until I saw this thread. its weird
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic. I am fat and I jog outside. I do see mostly ft people running, and the little wave or nod makes me feel like part of the club!
  • Telton66
    Options
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic. I am fat and I jog outside. I do see mostly ft people running, and the little wave or nod makes me feel like part of the club!

nope I am not being sarcastic. just out if curiosity

• trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I was almost 300 pounds I jogged quite often but due to the amount of food I was eating I didn't lose weight. I was gaining.. So for me calorie counting was the only thing that worked. I was always embarrassed when the fit kids from the local collage would pass me for the second..... or third time when I was still on my first time around the 4.5 mile route I chose.

I can now run quite a distance at a time BUT I still get passed by these youngsters. Only 1 time though :D not 3 :) .
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When I was almost 300 pounds I jogged quite often but due to the amount of food I was eating I didn't lose weight. I was gaining.. So for me calorie counting was the only thing that worked. I was always embarrassed when the fit kids from the local collage would pass me for the second..... or third time when I was still on my first time around the 4.5 mile route I chose.

I can now run quite a distance at a time BUT I still get passed by these youngsters. Only 1 time though :D not 3 :) .

yes you are right that calorie counting is what works more than exercise. For me my weight loss sped up when I found out about mfp and started counting calories.That's when the weight started melting off.At first I was going to the gym and I lost few pounds but then I stalled because I was eating to many calories and I didn't know anything about portion control

• mshepard83
    mshepard83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am overweight, and one of the problems I have with running is the stress it puts on my knees. I have had constant problems with my knees from being overweight for so long. After running, they are swollen for like two days. I would prefer bike riding or walking, or staying on the elliptical inside (which always gives me the best workout anyway, but it gets boring), at least until I drop a lot of weight and can consider maybe cortisone injections or something? I would do that, because I actually enjoy running, aside from that problem.
  • mshepard83
    Options
    Actually, I have wondered, do fit people have swelling after a run, too?
  • zimmermk1012
    Options
    I'm considered overweight and run... outside.. or inside on my treadmill.. or at a gym on their treadmill. Most people don't generally think I weigh as much as I do, which I suppose is a plus. That being said, there's definitely the major fear for many people that they're being judged while working out. This never made sense to me as I would applaud anyone exercising regardless of their size.. but that is the world we live in.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight (I'm just barely considered it now!), I ran outside. I hated it mostly. Not because of fatness, because of running.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    mshepard83 wrote: »

Swelling around the joints isn't normally a good sign. If you haven't already done so, you should go to a real running store and be properly fitted with good shoes. Also, you might want to lower your millage for a bit and work the strength in your leg. If the swelling persists after you have better shoes you might want to see your doctor.
  • thegreengirl
    thegreengirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm overweight and I run and cycle outside.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and I jog outside!

You know, now that I think of it, I never do see anyone bigger than me out running. I need to start a running group!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, yes many over weight people run outside. I run outside and I'm many pounds over weight. However, it can quite intimidating.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was at 360lbs, and when I started MFP and counting my calories, I also started walking then running outside every week.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mshepard83 wrote: »

Swelling in your joints for a prolonged period after a workout is not a great sign and typically means you're over stressing the joint. Someone above has suggested new shoes, but something to keep in mind may be whether you're really in a position in regards to leg strength and body weight to be running.

Running is great exercise, I'll never argue that; but it's also hard on the joints ESPECIALLY for those carrying extra weight. When I first started running at close to 220 lbs my knees would swell, they'd be stiff and uncomfortable for days and I actually had several knee surgeries over the next few years. We don't think about the type of pressure that our joints are under, but the impact of running only increases it. If you're swelling on the regular you either need to see a doctor or lose more weight before running will be a viable option for you to do without risking injury.

I left running behind for a lower impact workout (the elliptical) while I got my weight further down. Now at 165 (and 6lbs outside the healthy BMI range for my height) I occasionally have some slight puffiness to my knees, but that goes away within an hour of my run and only seems to happen when I increase my distance.

Editing to add for the OP: Yes, overweight people run; we run on treadmills, outside, wherever we're comfortable. Exercise is not reserved for those who are presently at or near an ideal weight. Don't see us often? That's probably because we aren't running at peak hours; we're often a little self conscious; I know I certainly was when I started doing outdoor running. Most of us appreciate the little nod that we're part of the club.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I was 50 pounds overweight, and I was afraid to run where other (fit) people would see me, so I would run on lesser-used trails. 25 pounds later, I no longer stick to the back trails, but head on out there with the super-fit masses. I figure I make them feel good about themselves ("Hey, I'm faster than her!"). I've seen other heavier people out running, too, and I make sure to give them a wave, or a thumbs-up.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I am always inspired when I see someone overweight jogging or at the gym working out. It motivates me far more than the thin fit folks. I think if they can push through this than so can I.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I started walking religiously outside about a month ago, just started jogging/running this last week....( got my mile to 14:38...not bad for a almost 40yr old over weigh smoker of 27 yrs) but anyway, I enjoy going at night. there are less people, cars, commotion and I really like to just enjoy and concentrate on what I am doing. And, I am sure being over weight has something to do with running after dark. but I think even when I slim down more I will be running at night, it's just so calm
  • mshepard83
    Options
    Wheelhouse15 & 365andstillalive, thanks, I will have to see about changing my shoes, since I think that may be a big part of the problem, as well as talk to my dr. My shoes are never right for anything, lol, but I don't put a lot of thought into it.