Microsoft Band and MFP

Options

Replies

• L1KW1Dz
    Options
    I purchased it at my local retail MS store, they gave it free with $5 starbucks card
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, has anyone worn the MS band in the shower?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's not waterproof, so wearing in shower is not recommended. It's water resistant (i.e. washing hands, sweating, rain, etc.)
  • L1KW1Dz
    Options
    If you have a local Microsoft store I hear you can get on a waitlist for when they restock. You can also check online on MS site.

microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.308308800#buy-product
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Hard to find now. They sold out in less than 24 hours. eBay had them selling close to $500.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Well, crap, I should have sold it on Ebay instead of returning it. LOL
  • VonChunky
    Options
    I am using MFP app on Windows Phone and it is working fine with the Band. Workout data sync'd up into MFP within minutes. Very cool device. Loving the integration.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Fitbit Flex and love all the info it provides, but now I am looking to upgrade. I'm thinking about the new Fitbit ChargeHR or the SURGE both of which are not out yet, but "coming soon." Now I'm thinking about the Microsoft Band. I'm a female with small wrists so wondering about the size for all these devices. I think the Surge looks the biggest, but that is the one that is most comparable to the Microsoft Band.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on any of these options? Though unfortunately no one will have actually tried the new Fitbits. What made you choose the MS Band over the Fitbits or other options?

Does the GPS feature for the MS Band show your distance/time right on the screen as you are running? I currently use MapMyRun so that I hear when I've reached each mile marker. Wondering if it shows that info on the MS Band as you go?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    I currently have the Fitbit Flex and love all the info it provides, but now I am looking to upgrade. I'm thinking about the new Fitbit ChargeHR or the SURGE both of which are not out yet, but "coming soon." Now I'm thinking about the Microsoft Band. I'm a female with small wrists so wondering about the size for all these devices. I think the Surge looks the biggest, but that is the one that is most comparable to the Microsoft Band.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on any of these options? Though unfortunately no one will have actually tried the new Fitbits. What made you choose the MS Band over the Fitbits or other options?

Does the GPS feature for the MS Band show your distance/time right on the screen as you are running? I currently use MapMyRun so that I hear when I've reached each mile marker. Wondering if it shows that info on the MS Band as you go?

The size is the main reason I am returning. Even with the small, it just doesn't fit right. It was too long, and move around on my wrist, yet it put pressure in such a way that it partially cut off my circulation. I had that 1/2 numb kind of feeling. It was enough that I could tell after a few hours of wearing it that it wasn't something I could get used to. If I loosened it enough that I regained circulation, then it moved around even more, which would prevent the heart rate from reading. And the idea of trying to do kickboxing with it on was kind of scary. LOL I'm sad, but I guess I'll wait and see about the FitBit Surge. I also heard that Jawbone is supposed to be announcing some new bands soon as well.

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Just got my Band, but I wasn't able to get to the gym today, so all I can share is that it is counting my steps, heart rate, and is synced up to MFP. I see an "adjustment" under exercise, but it shows 0 calories since (I believe) the Band has not calculated I've burned more calories today than what I have set as my daily target in MFP. My understanding is once I start exceeding that number (with workouts, etc.) it will award me more calories. That's what I want.

Only thing I can't find is how to turn on Negative Adjustments. The FAQ says it should be on the Settings > Diary page, but there is nothing there. I wonder if it was removed because it was not working right?

Gym tomorrow morning, early, so I'll provide feedback after that.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a Fitbit Charge. I find it a little bulky but I'm not one to wear big, plastic bracelets. But it's been nice for the ease of data checking and for the caller ID. I don't know if I could adjust to the Surge size. It looks huge. I tried a Flex when they came out and at the time that felt too big even. I guess if you want the functionality you adapt.

Here's a pic of the 3 new Fitbits-

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge-charge-hr-surge-welcome-to-a-whole-new-world-of-fitness/
  • smokeufools
    Options
    mmerry5 wrote: »

I had a Fitbit Force, that is basically the Charge, but with a band that doesn't break people out. I have really enjoyed all the functionality of the Force until the last few weeks. I received a firmware update and it totally messed up the band. Not only did my steps progression go down about 25% a day, they also decided to take off the active minutes tracking on the device, which I used all the time for my actual cardio exercises I did. They have stated they were looking into fixing some of these things, but when talking to customer service, they said one thing and their help forums stated another.

At that point I decided to use the recall program, so I am returning the Force, and have taken the plunge to the Microsoft Band. I received mine on Monday. I'll list some positives and negatives I have found so far:

Positives

-Love all of the integration with your notifications you receive from phone to band itself, a real game-changer in my opinion. As an aside, I do have a Windows Phone.

-I really enjoy the exercise functionality, where you can really get a feel of what your doing and how it is calculating many things at once.

-The sleep functionality gives a lot of info as well, just not sure of accuracy as of yet, since I've only had a few days.

-I am overall happy with this replacing the Force, especially after the latest update that seemed to change things for the worst.

Negatives

-MFP integration is lacking as far as the steps count not syncing. Like stated above it does a great job with the exercising and syncing, but unless you exercised EVERY day, I feel like the lack of step integration is a bit disappointing right now.

-Some are saying the HRM is not completely accurate, but I think that this thing also learns about YOU when doing things. My HRM was showing up to 182 when doing the MOSSA Fight workout on Monday. I did a different HIIT workout yesterday and it showed me peaking at around 164, so it is possible it is finding your baselines as it gets more data as well.

Overall, I did wear the Force and the MS Band on Monday, and can say that the Band was counting more steps, like I figured. I am really into the breakdown that the Microsoft Health App has when it comes to the Sleep and Exercise Recording, and as a person who owns many things Microsoft, I believe with further firmware updates this thing could be amazing.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am returning my Microsoft band. Even with the small, it is just huge on my wrist. The idea of trying to do kickboxing with it on scares me. LOL If I had it tight enough so that it wasn't moving around, it seemed to press just right on the tendons and veins to partially cut off circulation. I'm sad because I was SO excited about it and really interested in the features.

The calories burned seemed off to me though. I put the band around 8:30, took two 10 minute walks (one of which I tracked as exercise and it said I burned 74 calories) and at 10:30, it said I had only burned around 240 calories for the DAY.
  • zhackwyatt
    zhackwyatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I am returning my Microsoft band. Even with the small, it is just huge on my wrist. The idea of trying to do kickboxing with it on scares me. LOL If I had it tight enough so that it wasn't moving around, it seemed to press just right on the tendons and veins to partially cut off circulation. I'm sad because I was SO excited about it and really interested in the features.

The calories burned seemed off to me though. I put the band around 8:30, took two 10 minute walks (one of which I tracked as exercise and it said I burned 74 calories) and at 10:30, it said I had only burned around 240 calories for the DAY.

I'm really excited about it too. What I decided to do is buy a FitBit ChargeHR, and when that inevitably breaks buy a V2 of the Microsoft Band.
  • Mishootka
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Only thing I can't find is how to turn on Negative Adjustments. The FAQ says it should be on the Settings > Diary page, but there is nothing there. I wonder if it was removed because it was not working right?

To turn on negative adjustments go to the MFP website -> Settings -> Diary settings -> Calorie adjustments -> and check the Enable Negative Adjustments checkbox.

• kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on it, but I'm leaning towards the Fitbit Surge. Just based on the descirptions/pictures/features I think that's the best option for me.

I'm waiting for the Surge to be released and see real world comparisons between that and the MS Band.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I too am waiting for the Fitbit Surge and also see what Mio, which all this tech is based off of, comes out with.
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm an UP24 at the moment. I do miss the active heart rate monitoring I got with Polar chest band. I rreally like that I only have to charge every 14 days

Seems UP has a new devise with hrm and charge lasts 7 days. I plan to check that out.

I really like the idea of the new MS Band. For those that have it how long does it take to charge? Souunds like it will be everyday if you use the gps at all? If you have to charge it everyday and want to wear it to sleep seems like that could become a problem?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It seems like I read a review last week that said battery life was less than 2 days and charging time was a couple hours, so it did seem like you'd need to charge it nightly and miss some sleep or activity tracking.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Before I returned mine, I intended to charge it when I was in the shower, and then when I was sitting at my desk (office job). I ready that you can get up to 80% pretty quickly, but the last 20% took another hour.