Spinach smoothie

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. today I did: spinach, 2 cups of water, flax seeds, almonds, a half an avocado, and some berries. YUM.
  • dawnveltman1
    Options
    What is the calorie count for that?

only about 100 WITHOUT the almond butter or protein powder.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Today's is spinach, banana, choco protein powder, ice. I note after the foam as gone down, it only fills about 3/4 of the water bottle. Tastes a little better with the banana vs apple.

Note: I've been taking more poops after starting on these things. :#

Another one today. Actually just tastes like a chocolate shake. If anything, I might get sick of the chocolate flavor vs any salad taste.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I went back to my stand by. I know it. It's comforting to have what you are used to sometimes.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I want one to taste more fruity. If I take out the protein powder, the taste is vastly different. But it's a good way increase protein so maybe I'll look into a diff flavor.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So I have recovered from my peanut butter experiment and have prepped another experimental smoothie for tomorrow morning. Leaving super early for an extensive hike.

It has
    3 cups spinach
    1.5 cups pumpkin (I love pumpkin)
    .5 cups blackberries
    10 raw almonds
    Cinnamon, allspice, ginger, splenda
    Tomato
    Vanilla almond milk

I hope it turns out ok. Excited about the pumpkin.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Been at Disneyland since Friday so no smoothies down there. But I'm back to the Spinach/banana smoothie today
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    another spinach/banana smoothie. It's really hard to guage any affects as it's more of a micronutrient thing. If anything, it might have caused me to gain a touch more weight just because it's added calories
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    About to blend one now with frozen banana and dark cherries, spinach, almond butter...now I just need a liquid.....unsweetened vanilla almond breeze???

Yum! I ended up blending about a cup and a half of spinach with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a splash of cranberry juice (100%). Mixed that then added frozen bananas, mango chunks, and dark cherries. Blended after each addition. Added a splash of green goodness, I tsp of almond butter, and a scoop of vanilla whey protein.
    You must use pretty small portions of each ingredient to get about 100 calories, without the almond butter or protein. A banana alone is 100 calories.

I don't even drink green smoothies when I'm dieting because if there's no banana, it's not as nice of an emulsion, and if there is, it's too easy to slurp down 300-500 calories in 30 seconds, and be hungry an hour later. :#

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    Today, I made the spinach banana version and held off to about 5pm. I usually don't eat breakfast so that's easy. Had a normal lunch. I'll see if I can eat a little less dinner by having this late in the day. will have to see how my protein count does with this method. Or add protein powder to this smoothie if I continue to have one of these in the evenings
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Going to store my spinach/protein shake smoothie until 4-5 pm, then try to hit the gym right after work (I know during silly hour). Want to see how that affects my appetite and see if this gets my protein number even close. The goal is to eat less for dinner.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Anyone know the shelf life of these things? I actually never got around to drinking yesterday's smoothie.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I like green smoothies like this. ALso green juices. My favorite is spinach/pineapple combo with whatever else they decide to put. Green Machine is a ready made shake on the market usually in the front grab and go fridges at the supermarket that you'll probably like based on the ingredients you listed. For when you are on the go or don't have time to make a shake.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1QMudrGmEHeMu2saEVPOd2Fj1LTVX5w09JgtjVZ79C80JOTD3tOdjld0zQyIduEMpDV3DvoVa&usqp=CAE
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I bought one of those before deciding I wanted to try making them myself. And I went even cheaper and didn't buy the Vitamix either. My normal blender does the job fine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    that's good to know. i broke two blenders and need to get a new one so it's nice to know a normal blender would work for those smoothies. they are good and if I can NOT spend 4-5 bucks at jamba or robeks to get one, that will be a good day.
  • JeffseekingV
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think at the very least, you need one that handles ice. Hell I got one used on craigslist. $10 or so
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you want a nice fat smoothie do this : 2 eggs, 1/2 avacado, 1tbsp kerrygold or other grassfed butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil (refined is tasteless), 2 cups kale 1 to 2 bananas, 1 c spinach, 1 tbsp vit c powder, 1 tbsp bone meal or calcium, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp lecithin. 2 cups water or coconut milk or almond milk. You can add too 1 tbsp pbutter for more fat.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    2 cups of spinach or arugula (blend that with water first) and then one banana and one cup of frozen mango. delish. sometimes I leave out the banana and do 1/4 or 1/2 cup of plain non fat greek yogurt-depends on my calories for the day.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    If you want a nice fat smoothie do this : 2 eggs, 1/2 avacado, 1tbsp kerrygold or other grassfed butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil (refined is tasteless), 2 cups kale 1 to 2 bananas, 1 c spinach, 1 tbsp vit c powder, 1 tbsp bone meal or calcium, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp lecithin. 2 cups water or coconut milk or almond milk. You can add too 1 tbsp pbutter for more fat.

What is the calorie count on that?