Protein shakes...but I don't have a blender.

Options

Replies

• brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    She is saying that she doesn't want to buy a blender because she's moving out of the country and doesn't want another thing to put into storage.

Thanks! I'm moving to West Africa. If I find good powder/shake/bar now, it would be really great. Might be able to take some with me.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    She is saying that she doesn't want to buy a blender because she's moving out of the country and doesn't want another thing to put into storage.

Oh, sorry. It sounds complicated; too complicated for me. I am out of suggestions.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I give you props for doing a PC stint to Africa right now. With the Ebola scare going on.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    brimingus wrote: »

Thanks! I'm moving to West Africa. If I find good powder/shake/bar now, it would be really great. Might be able to take some with me.
    Powder would be easiest to take with you because it's light weight and you can get it on an airplane. There are also several places that will buy and ship, although I'm not sure if they'll sell and ship to Africa (friends or parents could have it sent to them and then ship it to you directly). Again, powder would be best for that because it's so lightweight.
  • brimingus
    Options
    JeffseekingV: I'm actually really excited! I'm going to Burkina Faso. No Ebola, but they just had a huge revolution and overthrew their president. ;)
    auddii wrote: »
    brimingus wrote: »

Powder would be easiest to take with you because it's light weight and you can get it on an airplane. There are also several places that will buy and ship, although I'm not sure if they'll sell and ship to Africa (friends or parents could have it sent to them and then ship it to you directly). Again, powder would be best for that because it's so lightweight.

So, powder. Ok I can work with that! :) Any suggestions of where or what kind?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol also discovered the secret of water first. makes a big difference. though some will still mix well regardless
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of different kinds of protein powder. I like some of the more expensive stuff, but it's super tasty, called Trutein. I've also tried optimum nutrition that I like, but doesn't taste as good as the trutein. I've also had body something that they sell at walmart. When I first had it, I thought it was really good. It was my introduction to protein powder, so I hadn't had anything that tasted better than that. I had a sip of a friends (unfortunately, I don't remember what it was), and it was horrible.

I tend to like chocolate/peanut butter flavors, but a lot of that will be personal preference. I like bodybuilding.com because they sell a lot of different kinds of protein, and all the flavors have taste ratings. You might find it cheap elsewhere, but it's a good source of info, and not that expensive compared to other places. Places like walmart, costco, sams will likely have the cheapest but have a limited selection.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    mhp makes protein pudding, i hear its good. check it out
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    oh and truitein sells the protein puddin to make it yourself also
  • brimingus
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to check out bodybuilding.com!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I put the water in first. It really does help
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hate to break out the blender for 1 shake & don't drink it until later in the day (usually) so I went old school. I use an old Talenti gelato container...almond milk, protein powder, couple of ice cubes & shake. Closes tightly so it doesn't leak in my lunch bag & I'm good to go. (all those lessons from my mom about being frugal paid off haha)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    lol also discovered the secret of water first. makes a big difference. though some will still mix well regardless

Is the water even potable where you're going? You might be better off with protein bars just in case.

• brimingus
    Options
    pscarolina wrote: »
    I hate to break out the blender for 1 shake & don't drink it until later in the day (usually) so I went old school. I use an old Talenti gelato container...almond milk, protein powder, couple of ice cubes & shake. Closes tightly so it doesn't leak in my lunch bag & I'm good to go. (all those lessons from my mom about being frugal paid off haha)

That sounds like a really good idea for while I'm still in the states AND I could bring it to work! Thanks bunches!!!
  • brimingus
    edited November 2014
    Options

Is the water even potable where you're going? You might be better off with protein bars just in case.

I have to get it from a watering hole, and then filter it and boil it. So it can be done. Just more work than usual. :) Bars are seriously tempting, though! I was going to bring some snack ones anyway, like Nature Valley or whatever, so maybe I'll just throw in some protein bars, too?
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options

You can purchase water purification tablets for relatively cheap. The water tends to taste a little funny but that might not be so noticeable with protein powder in it.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I thought everybody knew to put the powder in after the liquid? How can you measure the amount of liquid your adding if you put the powder in first? A good mixer cup isn't that expensive. You can get one anywhere. I preferably like the ones with the built in mixer grid, in the lid or detachable. If you're looking for a good protein powder, Syntha6 is the best that I've ever had and I've tried a lot of them. It has a thicker consistency than any other I've used and tastes, looks and smells just like a milkshake. I preferably like the vanilla or strawberry if you can find it at most Vitamin Shops, GNC, Max Muscle or other supplement stores. It is a little more pricier than others but I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for the taste alone. I use it as a breakfast replacement because it has 200 calories per svg. with 22gs of protein per scoop. I double it up (that's what it recommends for men twice a day).
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

could always bring bottled water, or put some water in the shaker before you leave home. wont be cold unless you plan for it, (and some bottles have built in cooling solutions), but its liquid and you can drink it.
  • brimingus
    Options

could always bring bottled water, or put some water in the shaker before you leave home. wont be cold unless you plan for it, (and some bottles have built in cooling solutions), but its liquid and you can drink it.

You clearly haven't read any of this post either. :)