Protein shakes...but I don't have a blender.

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    If you don't want to eat breakfast in the morning you don't have to.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    West Africa? No thanks Jeff.

200_s.gif
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited November 2014
    I love Premier Protein Shakes. 160 calories. 30g protein, 1g carb. I just put in fridge and shake before I drink. I buy from Sam's Club. Chocolate, Vanilla and now Strawberry. Delish!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    brimingus wrote: »
    lol also discovered the secret of water first. makes a big difference. though some will still mix well regardless

Is the water even potable where you're going? You might be better off with protein bars just in case.

I have to get it from a watering hole, and then filter it and boil it. So it can be done. Just more work than usual. :) Bars are seriously tempting, though! I was going to bring some snack ones anyway, like Nature Valley or whatever, so maybe I'll just throw in some protein bars, too?

I'm a huge fan of Luna Bars and Cliff Bars. Look for some coupons and stock up :)

Oh and like one of the posters abve mentioned - the water purification tablets. I think they sell them at REI.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    I buy protein drinks from Costco. Premier protein. No mixing, just drink

^ this! I didn't see your post before I submitted mine. It's sooooo good!!!
  • brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    brimingus wrote: »
    lol also discovered the secret of water first. makes a big difference. though some will still mix well regardless

Is the water even potable where you're going? You might be better off with protein bars just in case.

I have to get it from a watering hole, and then filter it and boil it. So it can be done. Just more work than usual. :) Bars are seriously tempting, though! I was going to bring some snack ones anyway, like Nature Valley or whatever, so maybe I'll just throw in some protein bars, too?

I'm a huge fan of Luna Bars and Cliff Bars. Look for some coupons and stock up :)

Oh and like one of the posters abve mentioned - the water purification tablets. I think they sell them at REI.

I think the Peace Corps gives me a few. And then I'm supposed to rely on my filtration system. I'm going to look into though. Because it would be really nice to be able to do that on the go!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    edited November 2014
    auddii wrote: »
    I drink protein powder mixed with either water or milk. Pour both in container with lid and shake. Then drink.

This is the bottle I picked up from the grocery store for about $3:
    rubbermaid-16oz.jpg

I use this same cup when my blender bottle isn't clean! I think I paid like $2 for it. It works just the same too. And I think I got my blender bottle (i.e. cup with a metal ball) for like $5. I drink protein shakes all the time and I don't even own a blender.

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (Mocha Cappuccino.. yum!) $29.99 for a 2lb container on Amazon. It tastes great with milk or just plain water.
  • BUTIgirl212516
    BUTIgirl212516 Posts: 193 Member
    I use Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder, and I don't use a blender. I just mix a scoop with water and enjoy! :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    I buy protein drinks from Costco. Premier protein. No mixing, just drink

Second this - I use it in place of milk or water and add even more protein powder to it. 1/2 scoop of a flavored protein and I get 45g protein and a strawberry, banana, chocolate, peanut butter, etc whatever flavor I want.

Also I add protein powder to individual cups of flavored greek yogurt. ANd I use protein powder and the Premier Protein to make pancakes instead of drinking them (1 scoop powder - not all work well, plus 2 oz PP shake... stir... cook like pancake and top with preserves or whipped cream or something).
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Any choice of protein powder + shaker cup from Walmart is how I roll.
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    all u need is a cup...water...and a spoon....just stir..I use optimum protein powder...its wonderful and easy :)
  • christinazaia
    i also protein pudding....water, protein powder and chia seeds...its yummy
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    What about Carnation Sugar Free...I believe theres 13 protein in 1 Sleeve.
    You could just take them out of the box (I want to say 1 box has either 8 or 10 packets), tie them up w/ a rubber band to keep them all together.
    I recently had surgery and for added protein I have to incorporate extra protein to help me heal.
    I use silk soy almond milk which in itself has 6 protein for 1 cup.
    When I mix it with Vanilla Pure Protein, because its mild in flavor, I will add a little banana.
    The Chocolate Pure Protein is not as mild in flavor but like the Vanilla, I will add PB2 for added Protein.
    These 2 recipes can yield about 35/36 protein!
  • christinazaia
    also quest bars are awesome too....mmm...nom noms...so many flavours to choose from
  • brimingus
    also quest bars are awesome too....mmm...nom noms...so many flavours to choose from

I don't think I've seen these. I'll have to look! I'm game for anything with multiple flavors!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I thought everybody knew to put the powder in after the liquid? How can you measure the amount of liquid your adding if you put the powder in first? A good mixer cup isn't that expensive. You can get one anywhere. I preferably like the ones with the built in mixer grid, in the lid or detachable. If you're looking for a good protein powder, Syntha6 is the best that I've ever had and I've tried a lot of them. It has a thicker consistency than any other I've used and tastes, looks and smells just like a milkshake. I preferably like the vanilla or strawberry if you can find it at most Vitamin Shops, GNC, Max Muscle or other supplement stores. It is a little more pricier than others but I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for the taste alone. I use it as a breakfast replacement because it has 200 calories per svg. with 22gs of protein per scoop. I double it up (that's what it recommends for men twice a day).

you really bother to measure how much water goes in?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    You can check Amazon for Whey protein powders although, lately, I've been using one from Vitamin World because it just tastes a better than the one I got on Amazon (Jarrow), so I don't mind it "straight". Actually very tasty! They have a sale going on plus a $15 off for first time buyers coupon or you can get 20% off and free shipping with this coupon code: RETAILV

http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html
  • brimingus
    socalkay wrote: »
    You can check Amazon for Whey protein powders although, lately, I've been using one from Vitamin World because it just tastes a better than the one I got on Amazon (Jarrow), so I don't mind it "straight". Actually very tasty! They have a sale going on plus a $15 off for first time buyers coupon or you can get 20% off and free shipping with this coupon code: RETAILV

http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html

That's amazing! Thanks!

• Think Thin has some wonderful protein snack bars too, if you ever want to move away from shakes.
  • EFMcG
    EFMcG Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2014
    Good luck in Africa. I have friends who have enjoyed their experiences there. Random, but here is a good site for information on protein
    ( http://www.proteinreport.com/whatisprotein.php ). It's obvious advertisement on other pages of the website, but some of the info is good.