Taco meats

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    It is a meal to have what I enjoy. I save my calories during the week and let myself have two higher calorie days so I can go out to eat on weekends. I was just wondering out of the meats that I like, if there is any that might be better. I know chicken and grilled fish would be the best bets but unfortunately those are not among my favorite taco fillings to have at this place. Their marinates are really good. We usually get the tacos to go eat at home so I'll probably have some steamed veggies and less tortilla.

I agree. It's a meal out and it's a treat, go out and don't worry too much about calories if you have been good throughout the week. However, I would not recommend that you 'save' your calories through the week because unfortunately it doesn't work. You have a daily calorie limit, and the whole purpose of having a daily calorie limit is defeated if you intentionally 'save' calories for another day. That is not how MFP is supposed to work.
    Many people eat less during the week and eat more during the weekends, "saving" those calories for the weekend so they end up at goal on average for the week. As long as you aren't being extreme about it, there is nothing wrong with that approach. You do not need to eat to a daily goal.

I myself eat to a weekly goal and am under some days and well over some days. And I've maintained for 3 years doing that.
  • BobbiTracey
    Options

Many people eat less during the week and eat more during the weekends, "saving" those calories for the weekend so they end up at goal on average for the week. As long as you aren't being extreme about it, there is nothing wrong with that approach. You do not need to eat to a daily goal.

I myself eat to a weekly goal and am under some days and well over some days. And I've maintained for 3 years doing that.[/quote]

Yeah, I get that. But MFP bases itself around daily goals, rather than weekly. So to me it just seems like a way around the system, because if MFP was meant to work like that, then we'd have weekly goals instead of daily ones. But hey, what might not work for me may well work for others, as proven in your case. :)

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It is a meal to have what I enjoy. I save my calories during the week and let myself have two higher calorie days so I can go out to eat on weekends. I was just wondering out of the meats that I like, if there is any that might be better. I know chicken and grilled fish would be the best bets but unfortunately those are not among my favorite taco fillings to have at this place. Their marinates are really good. We usually get the tacos to go eat at home so I'll probably have some steamed veggies and less tortilla.

I agree. It's a meal out and it's a treat, go out and don't worry too much about calories if you have been good throughout the week. However, I would not recommend that you 'save' your calories through the week because unfortunately it doesn't work. You have a daily calorie limit, and the whole purpose of having a daily calorie limit is defeated if you intentionally 'save' calories for another day. That is not how MFP is supposed to work.

wrong. there are people that do their calories for a week, not an individual day and they lose weight.

21kg gone by eating 1200-1350 on weekdays and around 2000 on weekends - I wish someone told me I couldn't eat lower during the week and higher on weekends! Now I'll probably gain it all back...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    4 tacos with whatever you want should be fine. all those things you listed sound amazing, and now i'm craving tacos (moreso than usual). if this is your favorite spot, dont cheat yourself by attempting to replace your favorites with something you will not enjoy as much.

now go get it!

3084.gif
  • BobbiTracey
    Options

I myself eat to a weekly goal and am under some days and well over some days. And I've maintained for 3 years doing that.

Yeah, I get that. But MFP bases itself around daily goals, rather than weekly. So to me it just seems like a way around the system, because if MFP was meant to work like that, then we'd have weekly goals instead of daily ones. But hey, what might not work for me may well work for others, as proven in your case. :)

did you realize that the exercise goals were weekly also, like the food goals?[/quote]

Food goals are daily. That's why we have daily calorie limits etc. It's to measure you calorie intake on a day to day basis. That is how MFP works. Yeah, you might have a graph that displays how many calories you have consumed per week, but the main feature on this site (logging) is based around daily goals, not weekly.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Carnitas are made made slowly cooking park in rendered fat (lard) until the outer is crispy and the inner is tender. Probably the highest calorie option, also my favorite!

Oh gawd, so hungry now.

Just enjoy the meal and get what you want!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'll be going to my favorite hole in the wall taco place for dinner tomorrow and was wondering if any type of taco meat is a lot worse calorie wise than others. I generally get lengua, al pastor, carne asada and carnitas. They all taste great to me so if any of these is more of a calorie bomb than others, I won't get that (or so many of them).

Also, do you think 4 street sized tacos with two tortillas are worse calorie wise or a burrito?

Since burritos are not well known in Mexico ( only in border areas up North ) I stick with tacos and as many people do here ( in South Central Mexico; Mexico City specifically ) only eat a taco with one tortilla. That does not diminish the flavor but saves for four standard size corn tortillas 220 calories. I would not worry so much about the meat, because the calories ( unless you eat pechuga de pollo asado only ) are pretty much the same as far as calories are concerned.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

Since burritos are not well known in Mexico ( only in border areas up North ) I stick with tacos and as many people do here ( in South Central Mexico; Mexico City specifically ) only eat a taco with one tortilla. That does not diminish the flavor but saves for four standard size corn tortillas 220 calories. I would not worry so much about the meat, because the calories ( unless you eat pechuga de pollo asado only ) are pretty much the same as far as calories are concerned.

It's "date night" 'round these parts and this topic made me want tacos...your post just made my day :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Tacos are delicious. Lengua is usually really fatty since its beef tongue, Al pastor and carnitas are slightly fatty, and carne asada is usually pretty lean. I would search the database for representative calories for each type. I'm imaging that the carne asada tacos will be your best bet calorie wise, at around 250-300 cal/taco.

Actually tongue is not a fatty meat, because it is all muscle.

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos are delicious. Just sayin'.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

did you realize that the exercise goals were weekly also, like the food goals?

Food goals are daily. That's why we have daily calorie limits etc. It's to measure you calorie intake on a day to day basis. That is how MFP works. Yeah, you might have a graph that displays how many calories you have consumed per week, but the main feature on this site (logging) is based around daily goals, not weekly.

The main feature logging is based on goals that are daily and weekly. Hence why it breaks it down for us. Is weight loss based on daily figures?

Are you telling me that myself along with many others that have been here for years have been doing it wrong?[/quote]

This is absolutely true.

I meticulously logged my intake for 8 weeks. 4 days a week I was under, and 3 days I was over. The daily average was less than my goal. I lost weight--more than I thought I would actually. So...yeah, it works.

ETA: Ok, seriously, why are the quotes broken?!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

did you realize that the exercise goals were weekly also, like the food goals?

The main feature logging is based on goals that are daily and weekly. Hence why it breaks it down for us. Is weight loss based on daily figures?

Are you telling me that myself along with many others that have been here for years have been doing it wrong?

This is absolutely true.

I meticulously logged my intake for 8 weeks. 4 days a week I was under, and 3 days I was over. The daily average was less than my goal. I lost weight--more than I thought I would actually. So...yeah, it works.

ETA: Ok, seriously, why are the quotes broken?!

[/quote]

I can't follow the conversations.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I only use MFP as a convenient way to look up and record the calories I eat and I like the message boards. I don't bother recording exercise and ignore the suggested calorie it gives me as I have already calculated my goal calories using other methods. MFP is just a tool, I use it how I like. It is not a magic, nor the only, formula for weight loss. Before the days of MFP, I used to google the calorie content of foods I ate and record it all with pen and paper...

Plus after talking so much about tacos, I want tacos for dinner today now! Some tuna will just have to tie me over.