Strength Training Log

Options
Anyone else using the strength training log? I am and I like it but I don't think it is calculating any calories. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It doesn't count the strength training log in calories burned. There is actually "strength training" in the Cardio exercises, I use that to track the time I spent lifting. That's your best bet to get some exercise calories listed in your diary.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use an App on my phone to track gym workouts. Tracking workouts for me is about knowing what I've done, so the next time I do the same workout (I'm using a custom 6-day split) I known what I need to do (more reps or weight) to push myself.

I now use a fitness tracker (Microsoft Band) to track calories burned based on heart rate and possibly other sensors on the Band.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What journals do people like? I need to be a little more data focused on my lifting, and am looking for an option. I'm leaning towards pen and paper though, any thoughts? (Yes, I know, a regular notebook is cool and all, but I want something "purpose made", because ego.)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use a smart phone app. Jefit.
  • Praying
    Options
    heart rate monitor IMO is the only way to track calories, then I log all my exercise as personal training session and the calories burned based on my heart rate monitor
  • dbmata
    Options
    Praying wrote: »
    heart rate monitor IMO is the only way to track calories, then I log all my exercise as personal training session and the calories burned based on my heart rate monitor

Well know that HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio. FYI there sparky.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It doesn't count the strength training log in calories burned. There is actually "strength training" in the Cardio exercises, I use that to track the time I spent lifting. That's your best bet to get some exercise calories listed in your diary.

I use this also
  • PollyPhoenix
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What journals do people like? I need to be a little more data focused on my lifting, and am looking for an option. I'm leaning towards pen and paper though, any thoughts? (Yes, I know, a regular notebook is cool and all, but I want something "purpose made", because ego.)

I'm using 'Gym diary - a pocket sized workout log book' which I got on Amazon (if that gets blanked out, it's the big online shopping website). I had a shop around and looked at some others which had loads of extra boxes and bits to fill in, but I liked the one I chose because it's small, inexpensive and just sticks to what's important (for me): date, exercise, weight, reps, with enough space for 5 sets or like 10 exercises. It's nice and simple. And it has a bit of space to fill in a note about any cardio you did. If you have a look on the site you can see the inside of it.

If you want something more detailed though, just shop around on the site, there's loads of different ones.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For the past year I've been using GymAce (formerly Pro Gym) on a Windows Phone. LOVE it.

Due to work securit policy change, I just had to change over to an Android phone. GymAce is the only thing I feel lost without on my new phone. It's only availble for Windows Phone. Imagine that. For Android, I'm porting everything over to JetFit. It looks like it will come closest to giving me the same functionality I had, just not in nearly as simple or user friendly interface. Oh well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I'm using 'Gym diary - a pocket sized workout log book' which I got on Amazon (if that gets blanked out, it's the big online shopping website). I had a shop around and looked at some others which had loads of extra boxes and bits to fill in, but I liked the one I chose because it's small, inexpensive and just sticks to what's important (for me): date, exercise, weight, reps, with enough space for 5 sets or like 10 exercises. It's nice and simple. And it has a bit of space to fill in a note about any cardio you did. If you have a look on the site you can see the inside of it.

If you want something more detailed though, just shop around on the site, there's loads of different ones.

Sweet, I'll check it out, thanks.