Breakfast boredom

Options
200 cal breakfasts that don't take ages to make please!

At the weekend we do poached or scrambled egg on toast, ketchup rather than butter, but during the week, its cereal, cereal, cereal. We have a very tight schedule to get out the house (and no, I'm not getting up earlier than 5.50am, that's quite early enough!).

Oh, and I have to be full till at least 11am.

No pressure here guys, but I really need your help! This breakfast issue is coming close to breaking me, and I'm nearly half way to my goal weight!

Replies

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be 200 cals? I'd be starving by 9am if that's all I ate!!

I usually eat porridge for breakfast - it ends up just over 300 cals because I put greek yoghurt, honey, fruit and a linseed topper on it, but if you cut down the extras you could easily make a bowl of filling porridge for under 200 cals.

Apart from that, there are some great ideas here! http://www.pinterest.com/explore/200-calorie-breakfast/
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack.
    We have been fine, until this week, when its all gone a bit tits up - starving and bored.
    Will try some new things in porridge - thinking about doing smaller portions, but stirring in peanut butter, maybe
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. 200g yoghurt and 30g raw rolled oats mixed together the night before, pop in the fridge and ready to eat with no prep in the morning. It's about 230 cals. I usually add a mashed banana and cocoa powder in it but can just add cinnamon for extra taste with minimal calories. It's also good with PB, vanilla paste and shredded coconut but much higher in cals.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack."

Why do you 'have' to do this? And 1,200 calories a day?....
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of these "make ahead breakfast sandwiches"
    I don't freeze them but I make them on sundays and store in the fridge. They kept well for the whole week. They're as good as a regular Mcmuffin (regular kind not egg white delite) and so much bigger/more filling!

http://damndelicious.net/2014/09/20/freezer-breakfast-sandwiches/

We tried a variation of these last week using a bagel thin (Thomas' brand) and some simple truth smoked ham and 1 slice colby jack cheese and OMG it was yummy. :)
    Both versions we've made so far (we used egg whites) were 250 cal per sandwich. (Same as a Egg White Delite mcmuffin from McDonalds but with more fiber, more volume, more flavor and slightly more protein!)
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would try and do more than 200 calories if you are unable to eat until noon. It's really harder to concentrate if you are starving.
  • ogrin
    ogrin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake in the morning, I use unsweetened almond milk, spinach, banana and GNC lean shake protein powder.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins. They are eggs, seasoning, and some protein (chopped bacon, sausage, tofu, whatever you want) put in a muffin tin then baked until the eggs are cooked through. You can google egg muffin recipes to get some ideas. These are easy to cook on the weekends and freeze great.

I cook my breakfasts on the weekends and reheat during the week. It isn't ideal, but it's easy. I cook scrambled eggs with veggies and tofu every Sunday, microwave for 2 minutes, and enjoy.
  • JaneECS
    edited November 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    "Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack."

Why do you 'have' to do this? And 1,200 calories a day?....

I do this because it works - 1.5 lost every week, almost without fail. And I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for support.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I do bigger breakfasts and add exercise. I understand that what you are doing works, but you asked for help. Maybe you need to mak some changes. It would work even better if you got off your *kitten*.
  • JaneECS
    Options
    I have been on Fitness Pal for quite a long time, lurking, observing, and thinking myself lucky for the support I have. For those of you who have given me genuinely warm, supportive, intelligent responses (the vast majority of you), thank you very much, I will do further research, consider, experiment and feed back.

For those who can't help but lord a supercilious, "I know better than you" attitude, consider that you don't know me, you don't know my circumstances and your way may work for you, it may not work for me. If you can't say something positive, on this and every thread, please shut up.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I switch it up between - egg beaters and oatmeal. I mix different veggies in my egg beats and make like a scramble. I either have it with an english muffin or raisin toast and sometimes as a treat - turkey sausage. I also have made like little mini quiches in muffin pans. Also do smoothies, but they just don't keep me full. I need the protein! I have no idea about the calories in all of my meals, but I am always under goal, so I think they should be ok or close to what you are asking.
  • JaneECS
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of these "make ahead breakfast sandwiches"
    I don't freeze them but I make them on sundays and store in the fridge. They kept well for the whole week. They're as good as a regular Mcmuffin (regular kind not egg white delite) and so much bigger/more filling!

http://damndelicious.net/2014/09/20/freezer-breakfast-sandwiches/

We tried a variation of these last week using a bagel thin (Thomas' brand) and some simple truth smoked ham and 1 slice colby jack cheese and OMG it was yummy. :)
    Both versions we've made so far (we used egg whites) were 250 cal per sandwich. (Same as a Egg White Delite mcmuffin from McDonalds but with more fiber, more volume, more flavor and slightly more protein!)

Looks lovely - I could do 250 cals for brekkie on days that are salad heavy - some days I have trouble using my calories up. Bagel Thins are hard to get in the UK, but I'm sure I can adapt

thank you for your support
  • JaneECS
    Options
    I do bigger breakfasts and add exercise. I understand that what you are doing works, but you asked for help. Maybe you need to mak some changes. It would work even better if you got off your *kitten*.

I walk 2-4 miles 5 days a week
  • Loves2Lift
    Loves2Lift Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. 200g yoghurt and 30g raw rolled oats mixed together the night before, pop in the fridge and ready to eat with no prep in the morning. It's about 230 cals. I usually add a mashed banana and cocoa powder in it but can just add cinnamon for extra taste with minimal calories. It's also good with PB, vanilla paste and shredded coconut but much higher in cals.

It is good with Nutella and also!! :)
  • JaneECS
    Options
    LosinIt84 wrote: »

It is good with Nutella and also!! :)

Sound good - we love peanut butter and chocolate spread, we have been avoiding them like the plague because we are afraid we may lose self control, but now may be the time.
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    protein shake are great ideas. Also some nutritional bar would be great.I make waffles.You can mix the ingredient at night and just put in in the morning.I use protein shake ,flax seeds ,etc to make healthy waffles.
  • JaneECS
    Options
    aliu00 wrote: »
    protein shake are great ideas. Also some nutritional bar would be great.I make waffles.You can mix the ingredient at night and just put in in the morning.I use protein shake ,flax seeds ,etc to make healthy waffles.

thanks Aliuu - I suppose I could just make them like a pancake - we don't have a waffle iron.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bacon and Egg Sandwich...

Eggwhites or Egg beaters (~ 50 Calories)
    Hormel Black Label Fully Cooked Microwave Bacon (4 slices = 70 calories)
    Shop Rite Enriched Light White Hamburger Bun (80 calories)

200 Calorie Goal met...
  • amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do egg whites with a thin slice of swiss cheese and turkey sausage. It only takes about 5 minutes in the morning...I don't know if that's too long...I usually throw it on while I am fixing my bag lunch. Egg whites are awesome because they are so high in protein, thus filling, but low in calories and fat!