Anyone figured out / learned that sugar is poison?

Options

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I need the entertainment today
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    djhnd wrote: »
    My first experience of how MFP message boards aren't that much different from any other message boards! Not exactly a place for reasoned discourse, and a place for people to give opinions bare of facts and knowledge. Ah well, that's the interwebz for you. Well, if you'd like to learn more, I've provided seven references for you. If you're a historian, look up what two time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling said about fructose!

I am bored but those seven links would be a waste of time to view.

• djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sidesteel, thank you for the second reasonable post on this thread. I agree about moderation, in general - however, I'm curious if your opinion would change after reading each of the links I've posted. It's true, a teaspoon of sugar a day won't hurt anyone. Nor will a pound a year.

However the average american eats 75 lbs of sugar per year. Average!!!! So, there goes your moderation LOL. Since I don't eat any, someone's eating a half pound of sugar a day
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

--HERBERT SPENCER

p.s. You're welcome, yopeeps
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sidesteel, thank you for the second reasonable post on this thread. I agree about moderation, in general - however, I'm curious if your opinion would change after reading each of the links I've posted. It's true, a teaspoon of sugar a day won't hurt anyone. Nor will a pound a year.

However the average american eats 75 lbs of sugar per year. Average!!!! So, there goes your moderation LOL. Since I don't eat any, someone's eating a half pound of sugar a day
    But you're advocating cutting out sugar. All we're saying is that people should eat sugar in moderation with a focus on nutrient dense foods. While most Americans may not follow this advice, that doesn't suddenly make sugar a poison.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There is sugar in almost everything. Sooooo.... Pretty sure you do eat sugar. Are you talking about table sugar? Unless you live off of meat and low carb veggies you are most certainly eating sugar. It's not a poison.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    Oh boy, another Sugar Is The Antichrist post! I'm waiting for article about how sugar is responsible for ebola. LOL!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

It depends on what question you're asking me. I've read a fair amount of studies on sugar, certainly not all of them.

I can tell you that I've yet to see data demonstrating deleterious effects of sugar in a diet where nutrient needs are met and total energy intake is kept under control. And I doubt if one exists using diets that meet these conditions.

If I understand correctly the AHA sugar recommendations (for example) are primarily based on the concern that excess sugar either causes excess energy intake which then leads to health problems and that excess sugar intake can push necessary nutrients off the table. (IIRC this one: https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf+html)

And those are both legitimate concerns.

Do I think the standard american diet probably has too much sugar? Yes, but it also has too many calories and too little nutrient dense foods.

I don't support the idea that food ingredients should be avoided and I don't support claims of foods being toxic without paying attention to dose and context.

Food avoidance and rigid dieting practices are likely far more detrimental than sugar.

If you want to form a productive group that will actually help people, then be inclusive and talk about how to form better habits and improve people's relationship with foods, and that starts by not fearing individual ingredients.

I actually think it does more harm than good to tell people that something in their food is toxic or poisonous unless: A) It actually is. and B) You can demonstrate the dosage and necessary context at which that occurs.

Finally, before anyone comes back with a strawman argument, I am not advocating a diet composed entirely of sugar nor am I suggesting that people just look at calories and nothing else. It's possible to "over-do" it on sugar for reasons stated previously in this post -- but the solution isn't to eliminate sugar or declare it as toxic or poisonous.

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Poison holy crap! I didn't realize I was the walking deAd.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Do you wonder why most of those people in the group aren't active anymore? It's no mystery to me.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In to watch the same old argument unfold for the umpteenth time.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief! Poison? REALLY?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everything is poison. I mean, we're all going to die eventually.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

It depends on what question you're asking me. I've read a fair amount of studies on sugar, certainly not all of them.

I can tell you that I've yet to see data demonstrating deleterious effects of sugar in a diet where nutrient needs are met and total energy intake is kept under control. And I doubt if one exists using diets that meet these conditions.

If I understand correctly the AHA sugar recommendations (for example) are primarily based on the concern that excess sugar either causes excess energy intake which then leads to health problems and that excess sugar intake can push necessary nutrients off the table. (IIRC this one: https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf+html)

Do I think the standard american diet probably has too much sugar? Yes, but it also has too many calories and too little nutrient dense foods.

I don't support the idea that food ingredients should be avoided and I don't support claims of foods being toxic without paying attention to dose and context.

Food avoidance and rigid dieting practices are likely far more detrimental than sugar.

If you want to form a productive group that will actually help people, then be inclusive and talk about how to form better habits and improve people's relationship with foods, and that starts by not fearing individual ingredients.

^^ This!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

And this was stated so much better than my response...
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cutting out all sugar is ridiculous. I'm not a scientist and I don't have time to read all your links, but be realistic...not all sugars are created equal.

I know anecdotes aren't evidence, but today I've consumed 38 g of sugar so far in the form of a greek yogurt, a protein bar, and a clementine. A can of Coke is 39 g of sugar, so almost the same. Which one is healthier?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    The dose makes the poison.

It's always been a strong selling point to try and blame obesity on a single food ingredient, or "chemical"(lol) or an entire macronutrient. It's no different with people who try to push sugar avoidance.

Moderation doesn't sell well.

DJ.

You eat no sugar at all? You don't eat fruit, vegetables, yogurt, breads, condiments? Like zilch sugar?

Side Steel is absolutely correct- moderation is the key to all foods. However, it's up to the individual to portion out their foods.

There is nothing at all wrong with sugar.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    giphy.gif
    03-Struggles-Only-People.gif
    giphy.gif
    242.gif
    04a.gif
    rbp.gif