Anyone figured out / learned that sugar is poison?

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    OP starts a post calling sugar poison, then bemoans the lack of serious discourse. Next time you might trt less hyperbole and fewer scare tactics. People around here base their reaction on the tone of the first post. Start with reasoned discourse instead of sensationalist headlines and sound bites and you're more likely to get somewhere.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    03-Struggles-Only-People.gif
    giphy.gif
    242.gif
    04a.gif
    rbp.gif

Oh my...... I gotta go. I'm laughing too hard right now at Lucas' sense of humor. :smiley:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    242.gif
    04a.gif
    rbp.gif
    This is the best series of gifs ever...
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Oh my...... I gotta go. I'm laughing too hard right now at Lucas' sense of humor. :smiley:

Serving the rational MFP community since 2011 ;)

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    What is the lethal dosage?

LD50 is 30 g/kg (rat, oral)... So if I were a rat and I ate 476.25 sugar cubes (4 grams of sugar each), there is a 50% chance it would kill me. That's 4.2 lbs of sugar!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    242.gif
    04a.gif
    rbp.gif

I lol'd so hard at this!

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Got some bad news OP.

The food we consume is mostly made of water (as are we). Water is well-known to be potentially fatal in large enough doses and has been the cause of a number of deaths. Ergo, all food is poison.

BRB, breatharianism.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

A 1 tonne bag dropped from a height ?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    djhnd wrote: »
    If you live on kale and chicken and nuts and beans and lettuce and oats, you won't die.
    ]

You will want to

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I think of it more as a recreational drug. :-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

LD50 is 30 g/kg (rat, oral)... So if I were a rat and I ate 476.25 sugar cubes (4 grams of sugar each), there is a 50% chance it would kill me. That's 4.2 lbs of sugar!

Is that in one sitting? Because I'd like to see what a 1-2lb rat looks like after eating more than 4lbs of sugar...
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

This isn't really news to 99% of those who frequent fitness forums, such as this.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

There is such think as water intoxication. I did not know that.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options
    My first experience of how MFP message boards aren't that much different from any other message boards! Not exactly a place for reasoned discourse, and a place for people to give opinions bare of facts and knowledge. Ah well, that's the interwebz for you. Well, if you'd like to learn more, I've provided seven references for you. If you're a historian, look up what two time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling said about fructose!

Linus Pauling was actually quite accomplished and well-respected, so I appreciate the opportunity to read anything he had to say on nutrition (not that I advocate the necessity of total sugar avoidance).

However, I wonder if he ever referred to sugar explicitly as "poison?" (need to look that up)

Well, even if he did, it didn't hurt his credibility any, given his achievements.

• ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My first experience of how MFP message boards aren't that much different from any other message boards! Not exactly a place for reasoned discourse, and a place for people to give opinions bare of facts and knowledge. Ah well, that's the interwebz for you. Well, if you'd like to learn more, I've provided seven references for you. If you're a historian, look up what two time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling said about fructose!

Linus Pauling was actually quite accomplished and well-respected, so I appreciate the opportunity to read anything he had to say on nutrition (not that I advocate the necessity of total sugar avoidance).

However, I wonder if he ever referred to sugar explicitly as "poison?" (need to look that up)

Well, even if he did, it didn't hurt his credibility any, given his achievements.

In a nutshell, no, Pauling never said sugar is poison. He said that we should moderate the amount that we eat and that eating more vitamin C will help counterbalance some of the sugar as well. But as someone said above, we need moderation in everything. And it wasn't even Pauling that did the studies that most refer to with fructose - it was Milton Winitz. And you know what they ACTUALLY found? That ONLY fructose raised cholesterol and only when consumed in large quantities. Glucose (also sugar) had absolutely no effect on the cholesterol.

So, no, you can't use Pauling to back up your statement that all sugar is poison.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

In a nutshell, no, Pauling never said sugar is poison. He said that we should moderate the amount that we eat and that eating more vitamin C will help counterbalance some of the sugar as well. But as someone said above, we need moderation in everything. And it wasn't even Pauling that did the studies that most refer to with fructose - it was Milton Winitz. And you know what they ACTUALLY found? That ONLY fructose raised cholesterol and only when consumed in large quantities. Glucose (also sugar) had absolutely no effect on the cholesterol.

So, no, you can't use Pauling to back up your statement that all sugar is poison.

Yeah, it wasn't my statement.

Actually, if you want to read what I wrote, I even said (and I'll repeat it here to save you the apparent trouble of having to dissect my earlier post) "not that I advocate the necessity of total sugar avoidance."

I don't mind being reviled for my viewpoints, but at least make sure you know what you're referring to.

For the record, I eat sugar whenever I feel like it, and never really thought Pauling referred to sugar as "poison" (he was much too educated to use such hyperbole).

In your fervor to tear apart all the anti-sugar crackpots, you assail every post that doesn't explicitly bow down to the god of sweets.

Remember that "moderation" line? It applies to more than just food, sweetie.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yeah, it wasn't my statement.

Actually, if you want to read what I wrote, I even said (and I'll repeat it here to save you the apparent trouble of having to dissect my earlier post) "not that I advocate the necessity of total sugar avoidance."

I don't mind being reviled for my viewpoints, but at least make sure you know what you're referring to.

For the record, I eat sugar whenever I feel like it, and never really thought Pauling referred to sugar as "poison" (he was much too educated to use such hyperbole).

In your fervor to tear apart all the anti-sugar crackpots, you assail every post that doesn't explicitly bow down to the god of sweets.

Remember that "moderation" line? It applies to more than just food, sweetie.

No, sorry, that was directed at the OP, not you!! I meant to quote the OP, not your post. Apologies!
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    OP,

tumblr_lw5rnySpiR1qlw5lio7_r1_250.gif