Treadmill Tips

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    thebza_x wrote: »
    I don't know about the OP, but I do know that where I live, running in the dark isn't just cold and miserable, it's pretty dangerous. Just for all the people talking about what she 'should' have done.

Making toast can be dangerous too

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill too, but I understand the not wanting to run outside in the dark. That's when I use it as well, when its dark outside or bad weather.

I watch tv on my phone, listen to music, or to a book on tape. I just need to find something that absorbs me with treadmill running or else it just plain sucks.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill. I increase my speed every 2 to 3 mins to break up the boredom. or I do wind sprints. I do watch TV although I really don't pay too much attention to it. I can't run outside my feet can't take pounding on the concrete sidewalks. Also find a good play list that can match your cadence.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the OP, but I do know that where I live, running in the dark isn't just cold and miserable, it's pretty dangerous. Just for all the people talking about what she 'should' have done.

Head torch, knuckle lights, high viz, merino base layer etc.

There are lots of ways to improve safety at night. Sometimes it's a question of alterning the route. With colder being a rationale, it would have been more cost effective to just buy winter running kit.

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Head torch, knuckle lights, high viz, merino base layer etc.

There are lots of ways to improve safety at night. Sometimes it's a question of alterning the route. With colder being a rationale, it would have been more cost effective to just buy winter running kit.

Yeah, no. Safety isn't just about being visible in the dark. I live in a big city, and as a female who lives and runs alone, running in the dark and cold is not a safe decision. I mitigate the risks in my life to the best of my ability, and unfortunately that means running on a treadmill in the winter.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    Yeah, no. Safety isn't just about being visible in the dark. I live in a big city, and as a female who lives and runs alone, running in the dark and cold is not a safe decision.

Situational awareness, be aware of the surroundings and avoid risks rather than place yourself in them. That was my point about routes. There is also a point about being aware of the real risk level, rather than percieved risk level.

In the UK the incidence of violent incident in the circumstances you describe are very low, compared to the paranoia about them. Most violence incidents tend to be related to alcohol, so far more random assaults happen in the vicinity of pubs and nightclubs. Equally the incidence of violent incidents towards men is much higher than towards women, equally many of the reported violence incidents against women are from those they are familiar with; domestic partners etc.

At 6ft1, male, and broad across the shoulders I'm at more risk. Notwithstanding the situational awareness point, I've had to talk my way out of a few incidents as well. Whilst I was confident that I'd have been fine had it got physical; drug/ drink related, just keeping enough space and talking them down was more effective than anything else.

That said, I recognise that the media drive a degree of risk aversion that's not really backed up by the reality.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I love to run outside, but I love the treadmill as well. I have gotten benefits from doing both. My favorite part about the treadmill is being able to wear what I want. I have been known to run on the treadmill in boxer shorts and a sports bra. I would never wear that outside of the house. To change up the routine on the mill, I adjust the speed and incline. I usually have the T.V on and that makes the time go by quick.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    hlauer4 wrote: »
    I'm looking for any tips to make the treadmill a better experience. I started running in July with C25K, finished the program in September and have continued running 3 days/week (2-3 miles). I pretty much always run outside but with it getting dark early and colder weather we have purchased a treadmill. I just have a hard time with it, feel that dread when I started running. I can run outside for three miles in about 32 minutes but feel done after ten on the treadmill. Would appreciate any advice! I just got back on Fitness Pal today, thank you!

For the money spent on the treadmill you could have gotten some great hi-viz and layering systems to run in. I'd strongly suggest selling the dreadmill, and getting quality gear. If you dread using it, you won't use it. We all know how it goes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    Yeah, no. Safety isn't just about being visible in the dark. I live in a big city, and as a female who lives and runs alone, running in the dark and cold is not a safe decision.

Situational awareness, be aware of the surroundings and avoid risks rather than place yourself in them. That was my point about routes. There is also a point about being aware of the real risk level, rather than percieved risk level.

In the UK the incidence of violent incident in the circumstances you describe are very low, compared to the paranoia about them. Most violence incidents tend to be related to alcohol, so far more random assaults happen in the vicinity of pubs and nightclubs. Equally the incidence of violent incidents towards men is much higher than towards women, equally many of the reported violence incidents against women are from those they are familiar with; domestic partners etc.

At 6ft1, male, and broad across the shoulders I'm at more risk. Notwithstanding the situational awareness point, I've had to talk my way out of a few incidents as well. Whilst I was confident that I'd have been fine had it got physical; drug/ drink related, just keeping enough space and talking them down was more effective than anything else.

That said, I recognise that the media drive a degree of risk aversion that's not really backed up by the reality.

Yep.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Intervals! Running at a steady state on a treadmill is just excruciating. Whereas, if you perform intervals it's not bad at all. Just have a book or something to occupy you between the intervals.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Intervals! Running at a steady state on a treadmill is just excruciating. Whereas, if you perform intervals it's not bad at all. Just have a book or something to occupy you between the intervals.

Or a tempo run - increase the pace by .2 every 2 min until you max out then go back to the lower range and start again.

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

Or a tempo run - increase the pace by .2 every 2 min until you max out then go back to the lower range and start again.

Ooooh, I love this. I'm going to try this tonight.