Rice cakes 101

Options
Hi everybody. I have a pretty simple question. I have never tried a rice cake before, and I'm considering putting them on my next shopping list for snacks. For those of you who eat them... what do you think? Are the plain ones pretty bland? Are they at least somewhat filling? Or will I just feel like I'm eating air? :)

Just curious to see what your opinions are. :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why are you putting them on your shopping list? Because they are "good diet food"?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just started eating them. I get the brown rice ones for post workout snack. Two w one tbs all any peanut butter delicious
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I like mini rice cakes (Quakes)....not the full sized ones.

The mini ones seem to be "stamped" thinner. This makes it more like a chip. It's crunchy thru and thru.

Regular (thick) rice cakes have more of a "sawdust" type texture. I used to eat these all the time (before the thin ones came out) but I won't buy them again.

Maybe, start with one package of each. Carmel Corn Quakes are yummy, the apple cinnamon were just ok.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I hate rice cakes. Never had one that was even remotely appealing.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I honestly think they are awful. My mom and I would joke that they would make better coasters then they do food, because she would buy them because they are considered "diet food" and I tried them just to try them - blech. It is how I imagine eating packing peanuts would be. Even the flavored ones grossed me out.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love them but they aren't very filling. I like spicy ones, and there are some sweet ones which aren't bad. Plain ones taste like *kitten*.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    To me it is like eating styrofoam.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    To me it is like eating styrofoam.

I agree with this....but sometimes I use them as a vehicle to get more PB (or any nut or seed butter) into my body LOL
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Brown rice ones taste like popcorn. Add small amount of peanut butter delicious
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like mini rice cakes (Quakes)....not the full sized ones.

The mini ones seem to be "stamped" thinner. This makes it more like a chip. It's crunchy thru and thru.

Regular (thick) rice cakes have more of a "sawdust" type texture. I used to eat these all the time (before the thin ones came out) but I won't buy them again.

Maybe, start with one package of each. Carmel Corn Quakes are yummy, the apple cinnamon were just ok.

Thank you! This was great insight! :)
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    I honestly think they are awful. My mom and I would joke that they would make better coasters then they do food, because she would buy them because they are considered "diet food" and I tried them just to try them - blech. It is how I imagine eating packing peanuts would be. Even the flavored ones grossed me out.

LOL. That's was I was thinking, but I wanted to see what others who have tried them have to say. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yum. I like the plain ones slathered with hummus. The quaker minis are good - my faves are the dill and sour cream and onion.
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Yum. I like the plain ones slathered with hummus. The quaker minis are good - my faves are the dill and sour cream and onion.

OOOhhh, thank you for the hummus idea. I hadn't thought of that, but I like it! :)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are some really good ones.

Rice cakes with a little melted cheese and a sprinkling of diced tomato make a nice pizza substitute.

If you're treating yourself to peanut butter, it's good on a no-salt rice cake.

Tuna fish...lots of things go well on them.

They're great for when you are craving a crunchy snack, too.

There is an apple cinnamon one that is fantastic, but it's generic and not sold everywhere. The Quaker one sucks. IMO.

I am a fan of the rice cake. :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I buy Kim's Magic Pop cakes but I don't know if they are rice or some other grain. 15 calories and they are about the size of a saucer. Thinner than Quacker rice cakes, more like the Special K snack things (can't remember the name, sorry).

I use them as edible spoons for hummus, salsa, marshmallow fluff, etc.
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I buy Kim's Magic Pop cakes but I don't know if they are rice or some other grain. 15 calories and they are about the size of a saucer. Thinner than Quacker rice cakes, more like the Special K snack things (can't remember the name, sorry).

I use them as edible spoons for hummus, salsa, marshmallow fluff, etc.

I love this suggestion! They sound great. I'm going to see if we have this brand. :smiley: Thank you!
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are some really good ones.

Rice cakes with a little melted cheese and a sprinkling of diced tomato make a nice pizza substitute.

If you're treating yourself to peanut butter, it's good on a no-salt rice cake.

Tuna fish...lots of things go well on them.

They're great for when you are craving a crunchy snack, too.

There is an apple cinnamon one that is fantastic, but it's generic and not sold everywhere. The Quaker one sucks. IMO.

I am a fan of the rice cake. :)

I love the idea of the "poor man's pizza"! What a clever idea. And yes, I'm a peanut butter eater, so I'll try that as well.
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    I went to the store just now and bought 2 kinds. I got the Quaker rice cakes (apple cinnamon flavor), and the small rice crisps (caramel flavor). Oh man, they are both MUCH yummier than I expected! Thank you all for your helpful input. :smiley:
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes, I enjoy the caramel ones with Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese!