Rice cakes 101

Options

Replies

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes - the popcorn flavored ones for the big and salt and vinegar for the snack ones. YUM. Worth the try for sure.

I will also try the pizza idea!
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    why rice cakes?
    45-60 cals depending on flavor-less carbs than bread, multiple flavors and toppings to be added (brsuchetta, cheese, nut butters, fruits and spreads)
    why not rice cakes?
    thats a personal choice but there are other snacks such as whole grain crackers, popcorn, etc
    by themselves they are nothing special but you can add to them and save a few cals/carbs in the process
    i eat them everyday
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    AniHam wrote: »
    sodakat wrote: »
    I buy Kim's Magic Pop cakes but I don't know if they are rice or some other grain. 15 calories and they are about the size of a saucer. Thinner than Quacker rice cakes, more like the Special K snack things (can't remember the name, sorry).

I use them as edible spoons for hummus, salsa, marshmallow fluff, etc.

I love this suggestion! They sound great. I'm going to see if we have this brand. :smiley: Thank you!
    I love kims magic pop-they are not however all rice like rice cakes but less cals 15 per cake and they are huge!
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get the caramel ones and put a little peanut butter on it if I am craving something sweet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    They're not filling. I don't mind the flavored ones but I never buy them because there are tons of other things I'd rather have. Plain is a no-go for me.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I love the mini ones, caramel, cheese, or ranch-flavored. You can get the generic or the Quakes, they are both good. They are a really good substitute for chips, with A LOT less calories. I eat them almost every day as a snack or dessert. No, they aren't filling, but that's not why I eat them, they are delicious. :) In fact, they have helped me lose 2 lbs this week! (My official weigh-in is tomorrow, so maybe more!)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've tried one, once. It was like eating styrofoam. Yuck! Even the dog wouldn't finish it! This is not a food, in my opinion. May as well eat cardboard, or packing peanuts, for all the flavor it had. Absolutely not worth it.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Rice cakes with PB=Yum
    Rice cakes with Some scpiy hummus= :)
    Rice cakes with hummus and sliced turkey=:)
    Rice cakes with tunafish=:)

Rice cakes by themselves=:(
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    my dog loves them, and i have seen him reject other foods lol
    funny i wonder if they like what we like
  • tanengre
    tanengre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They are great if you put a lot of cream cheese on them...but that kinda defeats the purpose!
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    tanengre wrote: »
    They are great if you put a lot of cream cheese on them...but that kinda defeats the purpose!
    well but what if you want the cream cheese but dont want to just eat spoonfuls of it out of the tub, you need something to put it on thats not a cal splurge. you can look at it from the other direction that you dont want the rice cake as much as the cream cheese
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    These are all excellent ideas. Thank you all!!

Just for the record, I tried the Quaker apple & cinnamon ones today, and they reminded me of Golden Crisp cereal! Very yummy!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I hate them. Eat food you like, just reasonable portions. A little less processed and a little more colorful fruits and veggies. Adequate healthy fats and protein to keep you satisfied longer.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    plain with peanut butter, the small flavored ones are like chips and unfortunately I usually eat the whole bag so I don't buy those too often.
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    plain with peanut butter, the small flavored ones are like chips and unfortunately I usually eat the whole bag so I don't buy those too often.

ditto! esp on the sour cream and onion
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even feed them to my dog. I have more respect for him than that.
    Awww someone flagged my post above. Waaaaaa. People are so sensitive. Waaaaaa

i put up a progress pic that showed a lil side boob and that got taken down, people are prude
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rice cakes. I grew up with them. We always melted cheese on them. White cheddar flavor? Yum! And the cinnamon flavor are like a sweet snack. The mini rice cakes are delicious too. Sour cream and onion. Love it! They are like fluffy chips!