out of calories and I'm still hungry

Options

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I plan what I am having the day before and log it all. If I'm going out to a restaurant, I look up the menu online and then log what I want. And when I go to the restaurant, that is what I order. It really takes the thinking out of it, as I just look at my food diary and eat what it says to eat. Maybe that could help you, to plan and log the day/evening before?
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It helps if you take some time looking for high volume/low cal foods to fill you up. Here is a just for example, my breakfast today.

1 large white tortilla shell
    Half cup of egg whites (= 4 eggs)
    1 cup spinach
    50g sliced mushrooms
    1 jalapeno pepper
    2 slices smoked breakfast ham
    30g marble cheese
    2tbs salsa

= 300 cals

Where as

3 slices of bacon = 300 cals ( oh no!)

The fillings in my wrap were so big that I couldn't even wrap it properly. When I tried to make the edges touch it split down the side. My boyfriend laughed his head off watching me try to eat it, lol.

The key is researching nutrient dense high volume low calorie foods that work as great "tummy fillers"
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Celery
    Onions
    Etc

I ate breakfast about 4-5 hours ago and am only now considering a snack not even a second full meal.

This is the trick the eating less calories without really eating "less", you know? How to lose weight but never be hungry.

Oh and my calorie goal is 1410. This is how I'm able to do it with a smile in my face.

I hope that helps you on your journey! :smiley:

Try center cut bacon...3 slices=70 calories

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am trying to this right, and am on a two day streak ;) ....I guess it will take practice, I have only just started this...and I messed up today by having too many calories at lunch and that left me none for now for a snack, and it sucks...don't judge, just venting ...I will notttt be doing this again

Be patient, tolerant, and kind with yourself. Two days is nothing. It really does take awhile to get this dieting thing down.

Have you tried pre-logging your food and then sticking to what you put in your log? Doing this has helped me immensely.

ETA: how many calories are you eating per day? You might want to lessen your calorie deficit, therefore giving you more calories.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Use a lean protein for your snacks and it will help you feel fuller longer. I also agree with MsHarryWinston. Don't waste your calories on volume & nutrient poor higher calorie convenience foods. Prelogging also helps. And hang on, some days are just 'hungrier' than others. Make sure you are drinking enough water, often we mistake hunger for thirst.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging = win

It helped me sooooooooo much in the beginning. And I still pre-log about 75% of my day every morning.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It helps if you take some time looking for high volume/low cal foods to fill you up. Here is a just for example, my breakfast today.

1 cup spinach
    50g sliced mushrooms
    1 jalapeno pepper
    30g marble cheese
    2tbs salsa

= 300 cals

Where as

The fillings in my wrap were so big that I couldn't even wrap it properly. When I tried to make the edges touch it split down the side. My boyfriend laughed his head off watching me try to eat it, lol.

The key is researching nutrient dense high volume low calorie foods that work as great "tummy fillers"
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Celery
    Onions
    Etc

I ate breakfast about 4-5 hours ago and am only now considering a snack not even a second full meal.

This is the trick the eating less calories without really eating "less", you know? How to lose weight but never be hungry.

Oh and my calorie goal is 1410. This is how I'm able to do it with a smile in my face.

I follow this same logic! I eat 1200 calories per day and, based on some diaries I have seen, I eat a lot more food than some people who eat 1800 calories a day. I never waste my allotment for calorie dense foods. The only exception would be oil because I need it to get to my fat goal each day. Plus it really makes things like meat more flavorful.

I eat oatmeal (just a 1/4 cup), hummus (1 tablespoon is plenty as a dip for carrots), kale, collards, fat free greek yogurt, chicken breast, tuna salad made with olive oil, turkey breast, honeycrisp apples, sweet potatoes flavored with cinnamon, curry and liquid splenda, low carb high protein shakes, etc. I also eat tons of fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, green onions, chives, basil, mint, etc. I eat 5 times a day and I am never hungry. I only eat leafy veggies and lean meat as my last meal and make sure I eat 3 hours prior to going to bed. So my only real fasting is bedtime. Add in all the water I drink (ugh) and there is no way I could be hungry.

OP, think of your calorie allotment as a shopping spree. Go for the sale items so you can buy as much as possible. If the key to being successful is to not go over your calories for the day/week and not to be hungry, then this is the best approach. the other thing is that if you pre-log your meals you won't make a mistake and eat too much. I usually log all my meals for they day because you can easily rack up hundreds of calories when you aren't paying attention. It's worked for me.

Good luck.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Oh how could I forget. I eat gallons of egg whites! It's the perfect food, really.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Oh how could I forget. I eat gallons of egg whites! It's the perfect food, really.

eggs are a great food item but many of the nutrients are in the yolk not the whites.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd try filling up on water and iced/hot tea for the rest of the day. Then have a light dinner. Some ideas could be yogurt with chia, veggies and hummus, a piece of cheese, some chicken breast and spinach/spring mix with oil/vinegar, a grapefruit, almonds, nut butter, or berries. Then go for a walk. You'll be fine! :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Try pre logging your day, it makes a huge difference.

I generally try to do this, especially since I'm at a point where I'm trying to hit my fiber and protein macros while staying under on sodium and calories (carbs and fat are a little less of a concern at the moment). I have today planned out right down to having room for some eggnog gelato while still staying within goal for all my macros.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You are new to this, you will get the hang of it. If you need more calories, do some exercise. I find zumba to be quite enjoyable and has a good burn rate, about 100 cal per 10 min. You can find routines on youtube.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It takes time! All of it, every step.

So, are you eating extra or holding firm?

I held firm, but it was not pleasant! lol

LOL! Good for you.

We learn as we go. First calories, then macros. :)
  • kitsa77
    kitsa77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Pre-logging = win

It helped me sooooooooo much in the beginning. And I still pre-log about 75% of my day every morning.

Absolutely! It took me a loooooong time to figure this out. I now pre-log 1-2 days in advance. I know what's in my fridge, what kimd of snacks I have on hand as opposed to waiting until I'm hungry and just eating whatever I can find. It's helped immensely.

Also I hugely agree with finding low cal, filling foods that work for you. I love greek salads and having one, or other salads/sammies at lunch affords me extra cals for dinners and snacks. I depend on veggies and fruits (peppers, baby carrots, snap peas, red grapes, pomegranate seeds, apples) to keep me full without breaking the bank.

Eating out, again, I agree that looking up menus ahead of time helps. I also try to pick restaurants differently than I did before to avoid making the same bad choices as I would have before.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Starting is half the battle, keeping on track is the other half of the battle. What helped me at first was to log it before I ate it. Sometimes I was shocked at the calorie count of what I was about to eat that I modified the portion size or didnt eat it at all. You will eventually learn the counts of your usual foods and it makes getting thru the day easier.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    melifornia wrote: »
    If you're out of calories, try going for a walk or some other sort of low-impact exercise to give yourself ~200 more calories. A can of non-cream soup is filling and should be about 200 calories, 100-calorie packs of popcorn as you mentioned, or cut up some veggies to snack on.

Yes, this. :+1:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this.

Check your cal goal to make sure it's not too low.

Double check the facts you input to MFP make sure they are accurate.

Check that cal goal against something like scooby or fitness frog.

If your cal goal is appropriate but you just are used to eating way more cals, try the volume suggestions with veggies. Also check that your protein/fats are adequate because those also help with satiety.

Finally, you're probaly right, you probably just made a bad choice for lunch that one day and didn't math right and had too few cals left for the rest of the day. Better planning will help with that.

Good luck!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    rainbowblu wrote: »

1 cup spinach
    50g sliced mushrooms
    1 jalapeno pepper
    30g marble cheese
    2tbs salsa

= 300 cals

Where as

Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Celery
    Onions
    Etc

Try center cut bacon...3 slices=70 calories

I think you missed where I put 2 slices of smoked breakfast ham in my wrap. They are delicious, cut like wide bacon strips and are 30 cals each.

The whole point was to show that when you don't go directly to the "conventional" options you don't have to give up a thing. It just takes a little thought and looking.
    Eg. Take out "conventional" bacon and put in something like your center cut bacon or my smoked breakfast ham for a fraction of the calories.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Yes it does take time and remember no one is perfect. Just keep on truckin!!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Oh my god I'm an egg white fiend too! Yes yes yes alriiiiight whole eggs are amazing. But 2 whole eggs NEVER make me feel full.
    I'll cook up a CUP of egg whites (that's like 8 eggs!)
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup mushrooms
    30g cheese
    2tbs salsa

For like, the same calories in 3 whole eggs. But I'll actually be full for about 4 or 5 hours. Where with 3 whole eggs I'm satisfied for maybe an hour? It's a delicate balance between calories and volume isn't it?
  • urpalmaryann00
    urpalmaryann00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    wow, I love this! all of the feedback is so helpful! I feel like I have real tools now! :) I can so do this ;)