Muscle strain/tear...what to do?

Options
I have finally admitted it today...I strained my quad muscles, both legs. I did a Zombie Mud Run 1 week ago, and the constant break-into-a-sprint to get around the zombies did me in. I haven't been able to run all week. I think I've probably re-strained both muscles maybe 3 more times this week just doing mundane things, like getting out of the car too quickly or messing around w my friends doing a little dance.

When I sit in a chair and lift either knee upward just a touch, the pain/strain that I feel for about 3 to 4 inches in the center portion of my upper thigh is pretty intense. It feels like even that little motion risks perpetuating the injury. If I want to cross my legs, I pick my thigh up with my arms and pull it over.

I'm at 157 lbs now, down 77 lbs, 27 to go to my goal. Running is my preferred exercise. With how my muscles feel, it is out of the question. Even a workout video would not be do-able.

How should I treat this injury? How long can I expect to be out of commission? How will I know when I can go for a run again without risking re-injury to the same muscles? Should I see a doctor, or is that just a bit ridiculous?

Replies

• TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. Now.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Doctor.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's been a week, I don't think a doctor visit is ridiculous at this point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I would recommend seeing a sports orthopedist. They can usually give you the best assessment along with correct treatment approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh my. This is not what I wanted to hear. I leave for a cruise in 13 days, and time is limited for the next few weeks. Sigh.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Err youve injured yourself, it hasnt healed. You need it correctly diagnosed. Go and see a professional to get it sorted or enjoy hobbling about. Yes you were being ridiculous at the end of your op. Respect your body and look after it.