falling into eating particular foods each day

Options
I don't know if it is necessarily bad to eat the same thing everyday...though I do suspect one misses out on a larger nutritional range. currently, I eat a pint of mushrooms (sounds like a lot but is only 60 calories total); several egg whites, spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, almond milk and a piece of fruit (apple or banana) each day. other days I eat fewer egg whites and have a low-sodium tuna packet over mixed greens, cucumber and tomato. I also eat some no sodium added soups periodically. I make my egg whites with zero calorie spray. I am not sure how to mix things up...I have become suspicious of bread and foods with numerous ingredients listed. with the exception of the almond milk...all the foods I eat are single ingredient foods. I am not sure why that is important to me.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I eat basically the same foods each day. It is because that is what I like. Eat what you like. If the ingredient list on a particular product bugs than skip it. I tend to use the same ingredients with varying recipes. It works for me.
  • donnamaeh
    Options
    I eat 5 oz of chicken and 2 boiled eggs each morning. I switch up my fruits and vegetables, depending on what in season. I have 3 dinners I switch up during the week. Soup, salad or steamed cauliflower,potato and brocholli. I recently began adding fish and red meat. Like Libbydoodle, it's what I like.
    As far as mixing things up... I use "one ingredient" foods as my guide.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    currently, I eat a pint of mushrooms (sounds like a lot but is only 60 calories total); several egg whites, spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, almond milk and a piece of fruit (apple or banana) each day.

Is that ALL you're eating in a day? It doesn't sound like enough to me.
    I don't necessarily think eating the same things every day is bad, as long as you meet your nutrient (proteins, fats, etc) goals. But what you listed doesn't sound like a lot.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    donnamaeh wrote: »
    I eat 5 oz of chicken and 2 boiled eggs each morning. I switch up my fruits and vegetables, depending on what in season. I have 3 dinners I switch up during the week. Soup, salad or steamed cauliflower,potato and brocholli. I recently began adding fish and red meat. Like Libbydoodle, it's what I like.
    As far as mixing things up... I use "one ingredient" foods as my guide.

I like the idea of using "one ingredient" foods as a guide. It is more nutritionally sound and almost always likely for weight loss friendly (depending upon your choices).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't know if it is necessarily bad to eat the same thing everyday...though I do suspect one misses out on a larger nutritional range. currently, I eat a pint of mushrooms (sounds like a lot but is only 60 calories total); several egg whites, spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, almond milk and a piece of fruit (apple or banana) each day. other days I eat fewer egg whites and have a low-sodium tuna packet over mixed greens, cucumber and tomato. I also eat some no sodium added soups periodically. I make my egg whites with zero calorie spray. I am not sure how to mix things up...I have become suspicious of bread and foods with numerous ingredients listed. with the exception of the almond milk...all the foods I eat are single ingredient foods. I am not sure why that is important to me.

The bolded part gives me pause. Not a healthy mind set, imo. There are lots of good/healthy foods with multiple ingredients.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

The bolded part gives me pause. Not a healthy mind set, imo. There are lots of good/healthy foods with multiple ingredients.

^that. suspicious is a thing to feel about people, not bread.
  • donnamaeh
    Options
    When I started this last April, I had 1/2 load of bread on the counter. Now 7 months later, it resides on my microwave. It hasn't gotten moldy! That's enough to give anybody pause. I may or may not ever eat bread again.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    When I started this last April, I had 1/2 load of bread on the counter. Now 7 months later, it resides on my microwave. It hasn't gotten moldy! That's enough to give anybody pause. I may or may not ever eat bread again.

You need to take that to a research facility.

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

^that. suspicious is a thing to feel about people, not bread.

/thirded

and /seconded to the person who asked if that was all you were eating each day. It very much does sound like not enough calories, like way way under 1200/day.

It is not bad if you are getting all your nutritional needs met and eating the same things every day is not a symptom of developing a disordered relationship with food. It seems like you are aware that your thinking is getting a bit odd since you mention "I am not sure why that is important to me." Sounds like a bit of self-reflection may be helpful to you.

I tend to eat the same things but from such a vast variety of foods that it wouldn't be the same thing every day so I can see for a more picky eater how it would be pretty normal to eat the same stuff every day. Just seems like a bad sign if the reason for it is fear or anxiety about certain foods rather than just not finding the taste or texture enjoyable.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    regarding the bread comment I made. yes, I understand...it sounds a little silly or paranoid. but I just don't see a lot of nutritional value in bread. I see it as a delivery device for more nutritional foods or a fun food to each on evening's out. but honestly, I have a hard time fitting into my daily diet.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

You need to take that to a research facility.

Start taking pictures of said loaf with newspapers showing the date next to it.

So you can chronicle it's non aging.

Post the pics on MFP.

Put it in the blender with some liquid and make it into a face cream.

Sell that.

Profit.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options

It probably dried out. Dry bread goes stale and turns into croutons, it doesn't get moldy. Put a couple of drops of water in there and it may just sprout.
  • GoForLew
    Options
    It is hard for me to eat the same foods every day because I get bored pretty easily. I'm the same way with my workouts. If I eat the same foods, I tend to binge on crappy foods later on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

lol.

Dried bread takes a long time to mold.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

lol.

Dried bread takes a long time to mold.

Shhhh. We wanna be scared.

• dbmata
    Options
    fredgiblet wrote: »

It probably dried out. Dry bread goes stale and turns into croutons, it doesn't get moldy. Put a couple of drops of water in there and it may just sprout.

No, bread has to be cubed then dried to become croutons. It doesn't just voluntarily fall to pieces. lol.
  • dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    but I just don't see a lot of nutritional value in bread.
    You might want to learn about nutrition then. Sounds like you are lacking in a few key areas, particularly if your diet in the original post is an example.
  • donnamaeh
    Options
    The bread hasn't dried out. It is still soft, tho not quite as soft as when bought.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What bread was it that you bought? Brand, type.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to buy breads with all that stuff in them, buy from a bakery or make your own. It's not odd to not like those breads. All the health experts would tell you they aren't the best kind for you.

I get sick of food, too. Have to mix up what you eat or you'll get so bored that you either stop eating or start eating tons of junk.