Relationship Weight Gain

Options
Everyone can relate i'm sure...

Being in a relationship is terrible for my weight, every time! I just cannot control myself when i'm with my boyfriend. We eat out a lot and each others routines mean we end up getting take outs sometimes because, for example, he'd had to work late unexpectedly and we didn't do a "big shop" at the weekend so there's nothing in.

When I was single (we broke up for a couple of months in summer) it was so easy to get into a food routine, get home from work and cook (a very low calorie, healthy meal) for one. But now, I have no routine, so I snack or we end up eating for convenience.

It's a nightmare! Any suggestions/help?

Replies

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Don't make excuses, find solutions. If you know you are likely to eat out and consume a lot of calories together, fast beforehand so you have room in your calorie/macro goals.

You can also just exercise more to compensate for your increased intake or consume fewer calories one day to make up for another. You don't need to be at your TDEE every single day as long as your average consumption over time is in line.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Plan your life around you, not him. Get back on your routine.
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you know you are likely to eat out and consume a lot of calories together, fast beforehand so you have room in your calorie/macro goals.

I've heard so many different things about "starvation mode" or how skipping breakfast stops your metabolism functioning at it's best. Are these things even proven? Is fasting beneficial or will it cause problems with metabolism?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you know you are likely to eat out and consume a lot of calories together, fast beforehand so you have room in your calorie/macro goals.

I've heard so many different things about "starvation mode" or how skipping breakfast stops your metabolism functioning at it's best. Are these things even proven? Is fasting beneficial or will it cause problems with metabolism?

They are proven to be false. There is no reason you have to eat breakfast. It's all about total calories. So if you don't want to eat breakfast you don't have to.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/873411

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • PollyPhoenix
    Options
    I have had the exact same problem. Gained weight when we were together, lost it when we broke up last winter, gained it all again as soon as we were back together. My current strategy is:

(1) keeping bags of frozen veggies (which have barely any calories and loads of nutrients) in the freezer and microwaving them quickly to replace some of the takeaway meal to fill me up.

(2) Keeping low calorie ready meals and other easy frozen food in the freezer - obvs not a good everyday choice but good in a pinch

(3) Cooking massive meals when we have time so there's enough for two nights, but separating out the portions before eating to stop us from eating it all in one go!

I'm in a slightly better position though because I've managed to get him into logging on MFP too :P You could try that one!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist. Looking at your picture, I wouldn't worry about it overly much, but if it does become an issue, you're the only one that can decide what you're eating.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    "We eat out a lot and each others routines mean we end up getting take outs sometimes because, for example, he'd had to work late unexpectedly and we didn't do a "big shop" at the weekend so there's nothing in."

I'm confused, why can't you just prepare dinner when he works late? You get your healthy meal and he gets to eat when he gets home.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I moved in with my now-husband, I gained. I was hungry when I got home from work, so I'd snack, and then we'd eat dinner together. Plus, we were happy and loving being together, so lots of cheese and wine. :)
    But, ultimately, it was up to me to not snack [eta: on high calorie foods, and choose fruits and veggies instead], to make goals, and order lower-calorie meals, and just plan better overall. Since I started MFP in January, he has been very supportive, even calculating calories of dishes that he prepares.
    tl;dr You make the decision for you and decide your own priorities.
  • trenzalours
    trenzalours Posts: 60
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I had this problem starting when I moved to go live with my boyfriend again. I weighed 220 pounds in PA then I moved to FL to be with him again and thats when the weight started to pile on (I'm 269 now). Thankfully he noticed his weight gain about a year ago and got insanely fit and healthy using MFP. Sadly I at the time just couldnt get on board- it felt like another diet and I was depressed. (I sure wish now I saw MFP and this way of life like I do now!)

So with some tweaking and some relationship TLC we have both switched over this time around because he knows I need it for my health. Plus thankfully he wants to get back in shape too.

I bet you're thinking..Well how does this even help me? What's this crazy lady talking about? Sit him down and talk to him- be honest. Tell him your plan and maybe even get him to join MFP also! Why do this alone when you can have the person you love at your back at all times. Sometimes your loved one can be the best support you have <3
  • laurenward1990
    Options
    I'm in a slightly better position though because I've managed to get him into logging on MFP too :P You could try that one!

Thanks, really good ideas. Hahaha he doesn't need to log in MFP, he's the perfect weight! he's on his feet all day though :P

• laurenward1990
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »
    I'm confused, why can't you just prepare dinner when he works late? You get your healthy meal and he gets to eat when he gets home.

We don't live together, so often im waiting around to find out when he is going to get home, I usually stay at his place, so i'll be at mine waiting for him (I currently don't have a key to his place).

You could tell me to eat and let him sort his own dinner out, but I don't like to do that when he has been at work for 12+ hours...

• skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sighhh I can relate, very easy to maintain when I was single, not blaming him, its just when I lived alone there was nothing but healthy foods and snacks laying around, we now have a CHIP DRAWER! and he buys peanut butter, im a sucker for peanut butter, anyways here I am again with 40 to lose, so hard.....
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat everything on your plate when you eat out. Just eat less of whatever it is you're eating.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »

We don't live together, so often im waiting around to find out when he is going to get home, I usually stay at his place, so i'll be at mine waiting for him (I currently don't have a key to his place).

You could tell me to eat and let him sort his own dinner out, but I don't like to do that when he has been at work for 12+ hours...

So make dinner at your place and bring it to his. You are making this way more complicated then it needs to be.
  • doglover1984
    doglover1984 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would say just watch your snacking and if you do have to go out check out where you might be going online first so you can find a healthy option that will work for you. I find I work out in the wee hours of the morning and that works well for me before the kiddos get up, so just find a time that works for you. I hope this helps.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If eating out is your lifestyle, learn to deal with it. Restaurants tend to serve meals with far more calories than anyone needs because gluttons are their best customers. Learn to leave about half of what they bring you on the plate. If you have trouble with that, ask for a to-go box before you start eating, move half of the meal into the box and close it up so it is out of sight. Then leave the to-go box behind.
  • laurenward1990
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Go speak to a medical professional. Seriously.

?
    Go speak to a medical professional about your relationship with food and body image issues.

Thank you to those being helpful.
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can emphasise! Just moved in with my boyfriend and he is forever bringing cakes and junk food home. I'm having to try learn willpower all over again!
  • metalheadjessus
    metalheadjessus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think this is actually very common. I've seen it happen to myself, family and friends. My boyfriend lives quite far away so we get to see each other every other weekend so when we visit each other we like to go out to restaurants, but recently we've realised we need to tone that down a bit for the sake of our waistlines and wallets!

Cooking can be quick and easy and with some advance prep doesn't take long at all. It wouldn't be hard to prepare something healthy then cook it for both of you for when he gets in. Just watch the portion sizes because you might not need as much food as him. Cook the same healthy low calorie meals you did but for two, bulking up his plate with larger portions or extras if he wants. It's just a case of planning ahead with shopping etc.

In relation to snacking, just make sure you have some healthy things around the house like fruit, chopped veggies or little tubs or bags of ready measured out small nibbles (My fave atm is 10g dried cranberries with 15g almonds). I find a small serving of low fat natural yogurt to be really filling.

When you do go out, just choose wisely. Or ideally, eat out less so that it's a treat as opposed to an every day thing and choose you want when you actually get to.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Go speak to a medical professional. Seriously.

?
    Go speak to a medical professional about your relationship with food and body image issues.

Thank you to those being helpful.

Would it make you feel better if he said that while holding your hand?

This discussion has been closed.