Relationship Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Go speak to a medical professional. Seriously.

?
    Go speak to a medical professional about your relationship with food and body image issues.

Thank you to those being helpful.

Oh yet another wanting advice but as long as they agree with it....

What else do you want then? Just get tough stop eating food. Otherwise, continue dithering about and remain in the same situation.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    what i do for eating out is go on the restaurants website for calories before we go to plan better. sometimes u can only eat half a burger and get broccoli instead of fries or just eat a couple fries or like others say dont eat but i find when i dont eat then i end up binging bc i cant stop bc i waited too long. message me if u need to talk it is difficult trying to lose when someone else is around, it takes lots of strength.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    On days that you're at home and waiting for him, could you cook meals for two in your place and then bring it over? And if you do go out to eat, if you don't have much willpower to not overeat, perhaps fill up on vegetables beforehand, or eat less during the day, if a calorie deficit is all you're concerned with.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »
    penny0919 wrote: »
    I'm confused, why can't you just prepare dinner when he works late? You get your healthy meal and he gets to eat when he gets home.

We don't live together, so often im waiting around to find out when he is going to get home, I usually stay at his place, so i'll be at mine waiting for him (I currently don't have a key to his place).

You could tell me to eat and let him sort his own dinner out, but I don't like to do that when he has been at work for 12+ hours...

So make dinner at your place and bring it to his. You are making this way more complicated then it needs to be.

Better yet, why are you just waiting around for him to show up? Stick to your own routine and, when you can see each other, do it. If you are close enough to have to go grocery shopping together, why don't you have a key?
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    On days that you're at home and waiting for him, could you cook meals for two in your place and then bring it over?

I could do that yeah, I guess the only trouble is when I don't know if i'm for sure seeing him that night, but I suppose I could cook for the both of us and use the leftovers for the next night if he gets home too late or I don't end up going to his place.

• PRMinx
    Options
    On days that you're at home and waiting for him, could you cook meals for two in your place and then bring it over?

I could do that yeah, I guess the only trouble is when I don't know if i'm for sure seeing him that night, but I suppose I could cook for the both of us and use the leftovers for the next night if he gets home too late or I don't end up going to his place.

Ok, so I've been there, done that. It's not fair for him to force you to live in his world.

If it's dinner time and you don't know if you are going to be seeing him or not, then make your own plans. It's rude for him to not let you know - and don't tell me that he doesn't know when work will end. That's B.S.
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot and I am still losing weight. YOU have to decide that you want a healthier lifestyle and YOU have to make better choices. You can eat out but still eat healthy. The best advice I can give you is that if you really want to be healthy and lose weight, you will find a way not an excuse. It all starts with you. Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Everyone can relate i'm sure...

Being in a relationship is terrible for my weight, every time! I just cannot control myself when i'm with my boyfriend. We eat out a lot and each others routines mean we end up getting take outs sometimes because, for example, he'd had to work late unexpectedly and we didn't do a "big shop" at the weekend so there's nothing in.

When I was single (we broke up for a couple of months in summer) it was so easy to get into a food routine, get home from work and cook (a very low calorie, healthy meal) for one. But now, I have no routine, so I snack or we end up eating for convenience.

It's a nightmare! Any suggestions/help?

Sounds like you're not ready to be in a relationship until you fix yourself.

• laurenward1990
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

Ok, so I've been there, done that. It's not fair for him to force you to live in his world.

If it's dinner time and you don't know if you are going to be seeing him or not, then make your own plans. It's rude for him to not let you know - and don't tell me that he doesn't know when work will end. That's B.S.

Yeah thats true! I guess I just always feel bad when he calls and I tell him i've already eaten. I'll have a chat with him and explain :)
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP is looking for a pity party.

No, I'm looking for informed and helpful advice, not some uninformed, rude, ignorant idiots telling me to "get fat" and to grow up.

You don't have to be a child to have issues with food.

It doesn't even sound like you have an issue with food. It sounds like you and your BF work different schedules. Just eat your own meals and let him do the same. Or don't and get the same result you are talking about now.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like what PollyPhoenix says!
    I have had the exact same problem. Gained weight when we were together, lost it when we broke up last winter, gained it all again as soon as we were back together. My current strategy is:

(1) keeping bags of frozen veggies (which have barely any calories and loads of nutrients) in the freezer and microwaving them quickly to replace some of the takeaway meal to fill me up.

(2) Keeping low calorie ready meals and other easy frozen food in the freezer - obvs not a good everyday choice but good in a pinch

(3) Cooking massive meals when we have time so there's enough for two nights, but separating out the portions before eating to stop us from eating it all in one go!

I'm in a slightly better position though because I've managed to get him into logging on MFP too :P You could try that one!

I have to have veggies in the freezer because I will always know yummy, nutritious food is near.

I've told my bf my diet concerns. He tries not to trigger me so we're both happy, lol
  • laurenward1990
    Options

Being in a relationship is terrible for my weight, every time! I just cannot control myself when i'm with my boyfriend. We eat out a lot and each others routines mean we end up getting take outs sometimes because, for example, he'd had to work late unexpectedly and we didn't do a "big shop" at the weekend so there's nothing in.

When I was single (we broke up for a couple of months in summer) it was so easy to get into a food routine, get home from work and cook (a very low calorie, healthy meal) for one. But now, I have no routine, so I snack or we end up eating for convenience.

And what do I need to "fix"?

• joey200for2
    joey200for2 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I got fat and happy after I married my soulmate. We loved to eat fast food and go to restaraunts. After 5 years I have gained over a hundred pounds. Every time we tried to diet together, we failed. After getting a bad diagnosis from my Dr. last week, I decided that I would have to do this on my own. It can be done, but it's hard. Eating together was one of the things we really enjoyed. Now I am cooking healthy meals in the afternoon, so we can eat together and live longer! I hope this helps
  • laurenward1990
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I understand completely. I got fat and happy after I married my soulmate. We loved to eat fast food and go to restaraunts. After 5 years I have gained over a hundred pounds. Every time we tried to diet together, we failed. After getting a bad diagnosis from my Dr. last week, I decided that I would have to do this on my own. It can be done, but it's hard. Eating together was one of the things we really enjoyed. Now I am cooking healthy meals in the afternoon, so we can eat together and live longer! I hope this helps

Thank you, I hope the diagnosis was nothing too bad. I'll try cooking healthy stuff whether i'm seeing him or not, and maybe see if I can get a key for nights when he'll be home late.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

Yeah thats true! I guess I just always feel bad when he calls and I tell him i've already eaten. I'll have a chat with him and explain :)

1. If he's a grown up, he can handle it.
    2. If it upsets him that much, then he will think to let you know his ETA for dinner.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Your relationship with food and weight. You sound like a case of codependency in waiting. That's not good for either of you.
  • laurenward1990
    Options
    A

Your relationship with food and weight. You sound like a case of codependency in waiting. That's not good for either of you.

A case of codependency for taking into account that my boyfriend might want something to eat when he gets home from work? Hahaha. Jesus the forum here is so utterly ridiculous.

Trolling doesn't suit you.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A

A case of codependency for taking into account that my boyfriend might want something to eat when he gets home from work? Hahaha. Jesus the forum here is so utterly ridiculous.

Is your boyfriend not capable of feeding himself?

• laurenward1990
    Options
    A

Is your boyfriend not capable of feeding himself?
    Its called being considerate. You might want to give it a go some time.
This discussion has been closed.