The "Games": A Serious Discussion

Options
UncleGorilla
UncleGorilla Posts: 85
edited November 2014 in Chit-Chat
My following question is not in any manner intended to be condescending, insulting nor inflammatory. It is a serious query...

What is the allure of the "game" strings? Specifically, the "I'll say you're attractive, then you say I'm attractive, and we'll all talk in self-gratifying circles for thousands and thousands and posts" threads.

What is the value and purpose?

It comes-off as a handful of people that are desperately looking for validation from complete strangers.

Am I missing something?

Replies

• Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Because some people don't have supportive people in their life and need someone to recognize the hard work and dedication they have put into transforming their lives and bodies.

And everyone wants to be told they are pretty sometimes.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My following question is not in any manner intended to be condescending, insulting nor inflammatory. It is a serious query...

What is the allure of the "game" strings? Specifically, the "I'll say you're attractive, then you say I'm attractive, and we'll all talk in self-gratifying circles for thousands and thousands and posts" threads.

It comes-off as a handful of people that are desperately looking for validation from complete strangers.

Am I missing something?

Some of them are fun. Being the old fart that I am, I loved the 80's music game, and some of the other music and movie games. I enjoyed the "guess the person's life from their profile pic", too. Being the analytical person I am, I would really sit and study the picture, looking at all the details, trying to figure out what I thought their life was, just by looking at the picture. Ironically enough, I was pretty good, too. I'd troll their profiles afterward, to see just how close or far off I was, and I even scared myself a couple of times on how close I was with so many details.

As far as the "attractive threads", in question, I haven't opened them. I figure it's like this, people enjoy them. It's something fun for them to do, just like the other threads are for others. Some people enjoy looking at other people's photographs and complimenting them. Some people enjoy getting compliments. There's nothing wrong with it. Some people may need this. For some people, it may be nothing more than just a way to pass time, or for some people, it may be a way to make others feel good about themselves and spread a little joy around. We need more people to spread happiness. That *kitten* doesn't cost a dime.

Personally, I enjoy reading things about history, mainly the darker parts of it, debating- I'd argue with a rock if I thought it would speak back to me, and writing. No. Unless you're one of the few privileged individuals that I've allowed to see the inner enigma of my being, then you won't know about my writing.

Point being, everyone, at some point in their life is looking for some form of validation. Be it by looking for a significant other because society tells us that we aren't "good enough" unless someone else loves us, or we aren't "pretty or handsome" unless someone else approves or tells us that we are, or our job isn't good enough, or we don't have a good enough social status unless so many people give our business a certain rating, or we have "X amount of customers, patients, clients" so on and so forth, or, we aren't really a woman until we've had "X number of children", and if you didn't have these children THIS way, then you didn't really give birth. *kitten* to all of this.

Everyone has insecurities. Everyone at some point in time wants someone to tell them, "You did well." "You're beautiful/handsome." "You matter." "You are important." If they say they don't, they're lying. We are human beings. We have needs. Now, when we REALIZE within ourselves, that we ARE all these things, and that we DON'T need the validation of ANYONE BUT ourselves, it IS the most freeing moment. Not everyone realizes this. Not everyone has that "ah-ha moment!"

So, I look at this way, if someone is getting something they need, I'm happy for them, even if it is in a game. There are times that a smile from a elderly woman walking down the street is just what I need to get me through the day. I've realized, happiness comes from many sources, so in other words, from my long-winded dissertation on the game(s) and happiness, don't worry about how others appear, worry about how you can make someone feel today. Spread some happiness around. That *kitten* doesn't cost a dime.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Am I missing something?

I've asked myself the same question every time I see these juvenile; "Say something to the person above" type threads. I just don't get it.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    See, I disagree with the "it fulfills a missing emotional need" justification. I think it's a sanitized, anonymous and gratis "meat market," and the only "need" that it fulfills is a biological need to iBreed.

"Rejection" on MFP is universally frowned upon, such that if someone hurts your feelings, you can "report" them, and a moderator ride-in on their cyber-steed and give the person who made you saddy-sad their come-upins. Thus, when you start posting on a "Would you bang, fondle, stalk or bone the person above" thread, you are all-but-guaranteed a response from someone who will bang, fondle, stalk or bone you. Thus, the awkward and depressingly empty I-courtship begins anew.

That recursive attention, and churning opportunity generates an ever-expanding "bang, fond, stalk, and bone" list.

In short, the "games" are much less about fun and self-esteme, and much more about opening-up opportunities for members to utilize their mommy and daddy parts.

Oh ye of little faith. You haven't been around here long, have you? Or many internet forums, for that matter? I get reported or "flagged' simply for my mere appearance in a thread, or starting one from time to time. I'm known as one of those "mean people". If you haven't heard about them, yet, you will. Give it time. Now, just because someone, REGARDLESS of the topic and/or thread gets butthurt and "flags" a post, doesn't mean "a moderator rides in out their cyber-steed" as you put it, and "gives them their come-upins." Quite the contrary. Most of the time, nothing happens. Unless someone has actually violated the TOS in a post that's been flagged, it's simply ignored.

Now, you're absolutely welcome to disagree, and have whatever opinion you'd like to have, but it's simply impossible for us to know what goes on in another person's head. We don't know what needs are being met and aren't. However, I mentioned absolutely NOTHING about an emotional need, this is something you've simply gathered or a hypothesis you've made on your own. Perhaps this does meet an emotional need that some have. For some, it may be a purely sexual need, while for others, it may be purely an ego driven thing. I'm not inside of their minds, I can't even begin to speculate what it means to each individual person, I can only give theories to *why* some may feel this important or fun to them.

Sometimes, it really "is what it is", a game and nothing more. For some, there isn't always *something* more. It's just that simple. They don't put a lot of thought into it. The open up a thread, answer a question, and move on. They don't obsess over it. They don't check back. They just answered a question. And honestly, if some members are wanting an opportunity to use as you say "their mommy and daddy parts", hey, more power to them. We've all got needs. We're human beings. Just like Baz Luhrmann said, "Enjoy your body use it every way you can, don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it-- it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own."
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    SHUT UP AND TELL ME I'M HOT DAMMIT!!!!

Actually I don't give a crap what you or any other random stranger things to be honest. I care what my husband thinks and what my daughters see. Now, it's nice for people be it here or in real life to say "Hey, you're doing a hell of a job, and you look a crap-ton better now than you did 20 pounds ago!"

Unless you're a cyborg having your ego stroked is going to make you feel good, and humans like to feel good. The end.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've asked myself the same question every time I see these juvenile; "Say something to the person above" type threads. I just don't get it.
    Nor I.

You know what I don't get?

People who feel the need to question other peoples' motives, only so that they can then bust out whatever theory they have that makes them feel superior to said people.

Don't like the "games" threads? Ignore them. That's what I do.

But don't use them as a reason to show us all how smart you are.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    people that are desperately looking for validation from complete strangers.

you answered your own question
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    See, I disagree with the "it fulfills a missing emotional need" justification. I think it's a sanitized, anonymous and gratis "meat market," and the only "need" that it fulfills is a biological need to iBreed.

"Rejection" on MFP is universally frowned upon, such that if someone hurts your feelings, you can "report" them, and a moderator ride-in on their cyber-steed and give the person who made you saddy-sad their come-upins. Thus, when you start posting on a "Would you bang, fondle, stalk or bone the person above" thread, you are all-but-guaranteed a response from someone who will bang, fondle, stalk or bone you. Thus, the awkward and depressingly empty I-courtship begins anew.

That recursive attention, and churning opportunity generates an ever-expanding "bang, fond, stalk, and bone" list.

In short, the "games" are much less about fun and self-esteme, and much more about opening-up opportunities for members to utilize their mommy and daddy parts.

So .. ask a question, reject responses, propose your pet theory that you were hoping someone would agree with, and pretend that stating the obvious is somehow original thought.

Well done.

Bigger question: Why do you care? Racked up a couple "would not bangs?"
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

That is social media in a nutshell.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »
    Nor I.

You know what I don't get?

People who feel the need to question other peoples' motives, only so that they can then bust out whatever theory they have that makes them feel superior to said people.

Don't like the "games" threads? Ignore them. That's what I do.

But don't use them as a reason to show us all how smart you are.
    Ironic.

On a related note, I like to think one's intellect is weighed pursuant to their ability to dismantle a propagated, long-winded diatribe, with a single word.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.