So I discovered my fav cereal has trans fats....

Options
13»

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't really know why you're so surprised. It's cinnamon toast crunch. It's delicious but basically candy.

This. A lot of cereals are so light and airy that you'll probably be hungry again 10 minutes after eating a bowl. The processing they go through strips most of the macro and micro nutrients out of the grain and so the manufacturers cleverly add back the ones that make the side panel look impressive - along with a lot of sugar and just enough trans fat to sneak in under the 0g threshold. Think of them as potato chips/crisps with a vitamin pill.

It's mostly clever marketing that has convinced consumers into thinking that breakfast cereals are a healthy alternative to eggs or oatmeal or last night's leftovers. If cereal was shelved in the snack aisle of the grocery store next to the chips and cheese puffs (foods they resemble the closest) I bet more people would think twice before buying them.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Sweetened cereals are a no no as far as weight loss goes in my book. I don't care if its with artificial sweetener. The thing is these processed foods do not train your palate towards more healthy eating but towards unhealthy eating.

The transfats, i wouldn't eat, but they are a side issue here for me. Its the sugar that's the ultimate killer.

Frosted Flakes are easier to fit into most low calorie diets than Grape Nuts: 100 less calories per serving, before milk. I'm just sayin'.

How are you defining 'processed foods' here, relative to breakfast cereal? Which breakfast cereals are not processed?