V02 testing: should I do it?

Options
Looking for opinions/advice/experience on V02 testing. Our gym is offering it next week, and I'm wondering whether I should shell out the bucks to take the test. When I work out, I usually try to maintain my heart rate in the "fat burning range" for my age and weight. But this week, I had so much energy that I pushed it and stayed in the endurance/aerobic level; sometimes to the top of that level. I felt much more invigorated after the workout and I've seen a weight loss in the last few days. So I'm wondering if my body needs to be in the aerobic/endurance range to lose weight. Wondering if a V02 test would help me determine this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ah ... the fat burning zone ... that effort level during cardio where the highest percentage of calories burned comes from fat, but the total amount of calories used (along with total fat) is lower than exercise at higher intensities. I'd recommend ignoring those ranges on the machines and provided by HRMs. For most mere mortals, they are pretty much useless. If your workout goal for the day is to bust your butt doing cardio, then bust your butt. If the daily goal is endurance, lower intensity but longer duration/distance. The ability to talk test is useful during the exercise ... then compare HR data afterwards. As your fitness improves, you'll see a corresponding trend in the HR numbers. Using completely hypothetical numbers ... would you rather burn 50% of a 100 calorie workout from fat in the "fat burning zone" or burn 35% of a 200 calorie workout from fat by working at a higher intensity?

VO2 is a useful measurement of cardiorespiratory fitness. If you're relatively new to exercise, the number might not be what you hope ... but it serves as a baseline. Higher end HRMs incorporate VO2 into their calculations, most lower ends use a more simple formula that doesn't. If the price isn't exorbitant, I'd get the test done. I'm one of the lucky people that can get them free through work ... but it feeds the data junkie side of me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you go to your actual max effort, then the testing can provide some useful and usable data. One of which is your actual maximum heart rate. Knowing that number and your resting heart rate will allow you to calculate some workout "zones" that might actually be useful.

Learning how your body uses fats and carbs for fuel during exercise, and at what intensity levels you see predominately fat-burning and carb-burning can be helpful as well, although not for the reason most people think. Knowing a "fat burning" zone is meaningless for weight loss, but it does let you know your optimum endurance training level. Knowing your "anaerobic threshold" can also be useful for determining effective higher-intensity training levels. A balanced program should include both endurance and higher-intensity workouts.

You may not be familiar with these concepts, so that is where the knowledge and quality of who ever is doing the testing comes in. The usefulness of the test data will depend on the quality of the information you receive about the results.

I'm a big data guy so, if the cost is reasonable, I would be more likely to say "why not?". Just keep in mind that any "fat burning" information will be largely irrelevant except for what I explained above.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an athlete involved in super marathons, iron man or similar then IMO it is not necessary to spend money on it. You can calculate your cardio zones and get rather close to real data without the need of exact / V02!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    These can provide valuable data for an athlete...for the average Joe/Jane, just going out there and getting their fitness on...I don't think such a person would get a whole lot of value here...

For the average Joe/Jane, estimating your cardio zones is just fine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    CABasile wrote: »
    Looking for opinions/advice/experience on V02 testing. Our gym is offering it next week, and I'm wondering whether I should shell out the bucks to take the test. When I work out, I usually try to maintain my heart rate in the "fat burning range" for my age and weight. But this week, I had so much energy that I pushed it and stayed in the endurance/aerobic level; sometimes to the top of that level. I felt much more invigorated after the workout and I've seen a weight loss in the last few days. So I'm wondering if my body needs to be in the aerobic/endurance range to lose weight. Wondering if a V02 test would help me determine this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I see you are in Glen Ellyn--what gym? And do you know what type of testing equipment they are using?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd totally get a VO2 max test, it's great data to track over time. Like 2-4x annual.

If knowing that data fits within your specific training goals, do it! I'd kill for access...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'd do it. It was a gamechanger for me in combination of a HRM belt during spinning. I thought I was training ok. With the individual test and realtime performance data on the bigscreen, I quickly realized I wanted to up my game.

Without it I would possibly still be in the "2x a week at the gym middle-aged lady with minor improvements in fitness".

If you felt good pushing yourself a bit harder, why not just try slowly pushing your boundaries on your own? if you don't wanna pay for the test. You didn't mention price. My gym provided it very cheaply, like 5 pounds.

Good luck :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Ah ... the fat burning zone ... that effort level during cardio where the highest percentage of calories burned comes from fat, but the total amount of calories used (along with total fat) is lower than exercise at higher intensities. I'd recommend ignoring those ranges on the machines and provided by HRMs. For most mere mortals, they are pretty much useless. If your workout goal for the day is to bust your butt doing cardio, then bust your butt. If the daily goal is endurance, lower intensity but longer duration/distance. The ability to talk test is useful during the exercise ... then compare HR data afterwards. As your fitness improves, you'll see a corresponding trend in the HR numbers. Using completely hypothetical numbers ... would you rather burn 50% of a 100 calorie workout from fat in the "fat burning zone" or burn 35% of a 200 calorie workout from fat by working at a higher intensity?

VO2 is a useful measurement of cardiorespiratory fitness. If you're relatively new to exercise, the number might not be what you hope ... but it serves as a baseline. Higher end HRMs incorporate VO2 into their calculations, most lower ends use a more simple formula that doesn't. If the price isn't exorbitant, I'd get the test done. I'm one of the lucky people that can get them free through work ... but it feeds the data junkie side of me.

^This for me too. do you want a big bit of a small pie or a smaller bit of a much larger pie. I would love you measure my VO2 max as a bench mark. Quite a few fitness optimizing programmed also use VO2max as an input so they can better guess they right stress for your body.
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some excellent insights! Thank you brianpperkins for that info. on HR ranges. I've often wondered if the whole "fat burning range" was misleading. The more I work out, the easier the "fat burning zone" is to achieve, and sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm really pushing myself. I'm still on the fence about the V02 test since I'm not an athlete, but you all have given me some things to consider! I
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.

Zones are irrelevant for 90% of people. Just workout as hard as you can for as long as you can, then go on with your day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some excellent insights! Thank you brianpperkins for that info. on HR ranges. I've often wondered if the whole "fat burning range" was misleading. The more I work out, the easier the "fat burning zone" is to achieve, and sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm really pushing myself. I'm still on the fence about the V02 test since I'm not an athlete, but you all have given me some things to consider! I

VO2 is a data point and indicator of cardio fitness ... nothing more, nothing less. If you use a HRM and its software incorporates the data in the calculations, then the test might improve the readouts from your device.

Is a periodic check of that piece of information worth the cost your gym charges? Only you can answer that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering if my body needs to be in the aerobic/endurance range to lose weight.

If this is your principal motivation for getting the test done (i.e. the weight loss aspect) then it will prove to be a waste of money in my view.

The difference in calorie expenditure between the two different workouts you performed wouldn't have been significant in the overall scheme of things. Therefore if you have lost weight it is more likely to be your diet and sticking to it improved for some reason (maybe your increased performance made you feel great and therefore made it easier to stick to a better diet on an unconscious level?)

If you have other fitness goals it may be worth it however.