Cleanse

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any time I see the words cleanse or detox my BS detector goes on red alert. They are meaningless buzzwords used by unscrupulous product manufacturers.

Your liver doesn't need a rest, your digestive tract evolved to work 365 days a year until you die.........in the absence of a real medical issue eating a well balanced diet with enough fibre and water is all you need to do. You won't, contrary to what the modern day charlatans would have you believe, have 5 lbs of undigested meat rotting in your large intestine etc etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do the "eat healthy food and drink lots of water" cleanse. It's lasted several years. The effects are a healthy body and gradual, sustainable weight loss.

I highly recommend it.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    nsalley99 wrote: »
    What cleanse have you done? What was the duration? Effects?

Depends upon what you're doing it for? Are you wanting this for weight loss? If so, the effects aren't going to be permanent. They're just temporary. Are you wanting to do it because you feel constipated? (And no, I'm not being sarcastic, either) Then, no, it's not necessarily a bad idea. Would it be my first choice, no, but it is an option. I have done one for constipation when all else has failed. However, the only time I've ever had to mainly use/do cleanses is a prep for surgery and a colonsocopy, and I'm going to be brutally honest with you, it wasn't fun.

I had to drink two bottles of magnesium citrate both times. I fought off nausea and literally had to STAY near a toilet for well over 12 hours. If you do that, don't plan on leaving your home. EVERYTHING will come out of your body, and I do mean EVERYTHING. It's not pleasant. It's not fun. I was in a LOT of pain. I had to do this three times (two surgeries, one colonoscopy.)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I use bodywash. It is highly effective at eliminating odor and leaving a pleasant, fresh scent after I shower.

I actually don't use soap. Am I doing it wrong?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Hi. I think you're going to find that most cleanses aren't well respected around here. Titling a thread "Cleanse" is likely to act as a sort of bat-signal to call everyone in here for jokes, gifs, and a general attempt to lighten the mood, plus some complaints that we're all mean and at least one attempt at defending cleanses.

I don't know if this one is still stickied to the top of the boards, but it has a good collection of links if you'd like to know more: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

I'm not saying they are or aren't well respected. All the frivolous responses are okay because those are peoples opinions. Which is what I'm asking for. Peoples general viewpoints on a topic.

Cleanses are a waste of time and money. Your body will take care of itself.

well....for one...a "cleanse" does not have to cost anything at all. You can "cleanse" by limiting your food/beverage to only water for 12 hours. That is a good "cleanse". You are giving your body a rest from digestion and giving it what it wants...water. OP- try a 12 or 16 hour water only "cleanse". I dont think anything really gets "cleansed" so much, but its a good way to get a "clean" feeling.
  • libbyseemee
    libbyseemee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have a long swim, cleanse mind, body and soul.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Hi. I think you're going to find that most cleanses aren't well respected around here. Titling a thread "Cleanse" is likely to act as a sort of bat-signal to call everyone in here for jokes, gifs, and a general attempt to lighten the mood, plus some complaints that we're all mean and at least one attempt at defending cleanses.

I don't know if this one is still stickied to the top of the boards, but it has a good collection of links if you'd like to know more: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

I'm not saying they are or aren't well respected. All the frivolous responses are okay because those are peoples opinions. Which is what I'm asking for. Peoples general viewpoints on a topic.

well....for one...a "cleanse" does not have to cost anything at all. You can "cleanse" by limiting your food/beverage to only water for 12 hours. That is a good "cleanse". You are giving your body a rest from digestion and giving it what it wants...water. OP- try a 12 or 16 hour water only "cleanse". I dont think anything really gets "cleansed" so much, but its a good way to get a "clean" feeling.

What if your body craves Mello Yello Zero?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

That's not a cleanse, that's a fast.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

you say tomato I say potato...it's all good
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I use bodywash. It is highly effective at eliminating odor and leaving a pleasant, fresh scent after I shower.

Maybe... you should consult with Dr. Oz on this.
  • PRMinx
    Options

you say tomato I say potato...it's all good

Wut?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Oh. Of course! God...I can't even imagine what he'd say.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Oh. Of course! God...I can't even imagine what he'd say.

Two words - raspberry keytones.
  • nsalley99
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    I do the "eat healthy food and drink lots of water" cleanse. It's lasted several years. The effects are a healthy body and gradual, sustainable weight loss.

I highly recommend it.

Haha see I like this one. I posted because I know little about them and figured they are a waste of money but wanted to ask a bunch of fitness focused people. I definitely think I'll be sticking to the "healthy eating + workout" system.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »

I highly recommend it.

Haha see I like this one. I posted because I know little about them and figured they are a waste of money but wanted to ask a bunch of fitness focused people. I definitely think I'll be sticking to the "healthy eating + workout" system.
    An actual cleanse is not worth doing. Seriously. It does literally nothing for you. If you have working liver, kidneys and sweat glands, your body cleanses itself.

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    I suggest a 12 hour water fast as a cleanse where I say nothing really gets cleansed and it gets flagged as spam? wow
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I suggest a 12 hour water fast as a cleanse where I say nothing really gets cleansed and it gets flagged as spam? wow

Welcome to the new world of MFP, where everything is flagged. This is the mascot.

post-4666-0-96567900-1409095586.gif
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My cleanse may sound a bit unorthodox but it works wonders. Really. First you need to purchase this specialized cleansing substance. Normally it is a solid white but some variations are a green gel. Next you must also purchase a thin brush with a small clump of bristles on the end. I know this sounds expensive but it's not really and it's sooo worth it. Now, apply the cleansing substance to the bristles and place the bristles in your mouth - Seriously! Vigorous apply to your all teeth, front and back, for about two to three minutes. Give your tongue a working over too. Your mouth will likely get a bit frothy. Don't be alarmed! This means the cleanse is working! After two to three minutes, rinse your mouth out and clean off the brush. You're all done! Exhale with a big "Ahhh!" and feel the goodness of this satisfying cleanse! Repeat every night before bed and ideally after every meal for extra cleansing goodness.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The good olde days
    To cleanse or not to cleanse? That is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of non-specific toxins
    Or to take arms against a sea of imagined bowel obstructions
    And by opposing, perforate one's colon. To juice; to detox;
    No more; and by a detox to say we end
    The pH and the balance of intestinal flora
    That guts are heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be avoided. To juice; to detox;
    To detox: perchance to puke: aye, there's the rub;
    For in the pangs of indigestion what side-effects may come
    When we go and leave our undies soiled.
  • trinatrina1984